Cache Approvers

Geo-Trekker

A general question...

How does one become a cache approver for thier area?

I have a lot of extra time on my hands, and I'd love to "Give back" to the Geocaching service outside of my paying Membership.

If an admin or someone of assistance and contact me (Either through Gc.com e-mail or the board) it would be aprreciated.

Cheers,

Geo-Trekker

Cache approvers are added for local areas on a 'as needed' basis. Some volunteer, some are asked, some are leaders for their local geocaching community.

There are many other ways to give back to geocaching. The local organizations are in need of enthusiastic people to lend a hand. The sport benefits greatly from a strong local organization.

Another excellent way to give back is with great cache hides! There are some geocachers with extra time that have gone the extra mile and created memorable caches!

Cache approvers are added for local areas on a 'as needed' basis. Some volunteer, some are asked, some are leaders for their local geocaching community.

There are many other ways to give back to geocaching. The local organizations are in need of enthusiastic people to lend a hand. The sport benefits greatly from a strong local organization.

Another excellent way to give back is with great cache hides! There are some geocachers with extra time that have gone the extra mile and created memorable caches!

That and don't complain too loudly about the mods :)

:D

Regardless of your past, I've got more experience in finding and hiding and posting to the forums....and believe me, I'm a long way from ever reaching approver status.....I've heard the records of most all of the approvers, and they have at minimum 10 times the number of finds and hides as you.....I'm not saying you wouldn't be good for the job, but it just doesn't seem as though the experience is there......

Fair Enough, Sparky - the same can be said for you...What you said is good to know

Though before you go criticising someone on the lack of finds, I would take a moment to consider the fact that the number of finds doesn't necessarily consititute "experience". What if someone chose not to log their finds on GC.com - I'm not saying I don't - just thought I'd throw it in as an example.

Indeed there are many variables that would define an experienced Geocacher...However it is a game, and as such should stay that way...I'm not one to take the "finds" too seriously, and nor am I one to get discouraged when another fellow cacher reaches a milestone.

Personally I wish my number of finds was higher (40 is preatty lame - especially since I have been around since 2001)...but unfortunately I have spent more time on the water of late than actually on land and I have yet to run across a Geocache in the ocean. Furthermore, because of the position I am in, I'd rather contribute to the development of the sport when searching for geocaches is not feasible. I think that contributing to the sport is a separate issue and is just as rewarding as playing the game...I think the two could be contrasted, but not compared...

Also a point to remember is that our good old founding father Jeremy Irish does only have 130 cache finds...because he is preocupied with the behind-the-scenes part of Geocaching. does this make him an inexperienced Geocacher when compared to someone like CCCooperAgency when someine is considering finds as a denotation of experience? If thats the case - he would be merely and overlook.

In addition, the number of posts can be related to the fact that the user is an active member of the Geocaching community. But then again, that could also flip to the other side of the coin, that being one is spending far to much time in a virtual setting. Nor do I agree that a Post / Find ratio is an appropriate "measure" of ones abilities...

'Nuff said - just trying to clear the air - too much smog bothers the lungs

Geo-Trekker

Btw Sparky - I'd love to chat with you about your EMS work, it's just another one of my "exploits" lol...Cheers mate

Edited by Geo-Trekker
Fair Enough, Sparky - the same can be said for you...What you said is good to know :rolleyes:

Though before you go criticising someone on the lack of finds, I would take a moment to consider the fact that the number of finds doesn't necessarily consititute "experience". What if someone chose not to log their finds on GC.com - I'm not saying I don't - just thought I'd throw it in as an example.

Indeed there are many variables that would define an experienced Geocacher...However it is a game, and as such should stay that way...I'm not one to take the "finds" too seriously, and nor am I one to get discouraged when another fellow cacher reaches a milestone.

Personally I wish my number of finds was higher (40 is preatty lame - especially since I have been around since 2001)...but unfortunately I have spent more time on the water of late than actually on land and I have yet to run across a Geocache in the ocean. Furthermore, because of the position I am in, I'd rather contribute to the development of the sport when searching for geocaches is not feasible. I think that contributing to the sport is a separate issue and is just as rewarding as playing the game...I think the two could be contrasted, but not compared...

Also a point to remember is that our good old founding father Jeremy Irish does only have 130 cache finds...because he is preocupied with the behind-the-scenes part of Geocaching. does this make him an inexperienced Geocacher when compared to someone like CCCooperAgency when someine is considering finds as a denotation of experience? If thats the case - he would be merely and overlook.

In addition, the number of posts can be related to the fact that the user is an active member of the Geocaching community. But then again, that could also flip to the other side of the coin, that being one is spending far to much time in a virtual setting. Nor do I agree that a Post / Find ratio is an appropriate "measure" of ones abilities...

'Nuff said - just trying to clear the air - too much smog bothers the lungs

Geo-Trekker

Btw Sparky - I'd love to chat with you about your EMS work, it's just another one of my "exploits" lol...Cheers mate

I really couldn't agree with you more. There are many reasons why a person, such as myself, only has 39 finds. Experience comes from caching and visiting the forums. I don't think that throwing Jeremy into the mix is legitimate, however, as he is the site founder, leader, and supreme being, not a mere approver (no offense to the approvers). I still am firm in my belief that to approve, you must find. Personally, I wouldn't want the job, but if it is a goal of yours, good luck in all your endeavours. B)

We have just found out that someone has created a fake used ID identical to ours; the only difference being is that the name has a period after it. Please take note of this as some local cachers have attempted a couple of caches that have put them in areas of danger.

1. Are you admitting "yes" to this? I don't see your admittance nor your apology for this if this is true.

2. Do you think this was funny?

3. Do you think that if you answer "yes" to one, you have any business being an approver?

G-T: don't you know the guy who runs the website gets to see certain things when you register account? Like IP addresses? I'm pretty sure at the time it was proven that this guy did it:

30322_300.jpg

Know him?

The rest of us mere mortals DO get to see some stuff, like this screen, where someone watching it can see how often you were refreshing a certain thread.

Edited by Mopar

*sigh*

If you decide to play a dangerous prank in the future,

a. Do not log in to your real account after using your fake account

b. Don't lie about it when you've been discovered.

Most communication in these forums (and in life), an assumption should be made that the person is honest. When that honesty is breached, everything else breaks down. Whether it is your immaturity, Geo-Trekker, or some other reason, you should cut your losses.

If someone was hurt in your little prank, Geo-Trekker, it wouldn't be so innocent. Continuing this little charade of yours is insulting, at best.

*sigh*

If you decide to play a dangerous prank in the future,

a. Do not log in to your real account after using your fake account

b. Don't lie about it when you've been discovered.

Most communication in these forums (and in life), an assumption should be made that the person is honest. When that honesty is breached, everything else breaks down. Whether it is your immaturity, Geo-Trekker, or some other reason, you should cut your losses.

If someone was hurt in your little prank, Geo-Trekker, it wouldn't be so innocent. Continuing this little charade of yours is insulting, at best.

.....and making cheap shots before closing threads does nothing for your credibility, either.....which is another thing that won't be accepted from any moderator or approver. I think the hole is getting deeper by the post here, and as a prospective approver, you should know that digging is not allowed......

Edited by Sparky-Watts
My bad - I see now that Jeremy was refering to RobertM's post...

I overlooked that, honest mistake - no need for futility...

Cheers,

- Matt

What are you talking about? The finger was pointed at you because Jeremy knows it was you. See his posts in this topic and the original one started by Team KFWB GPS. Are you saying I was the one? Accusations are not something to be thrown around. I've already clicked the Report button to report your post to the moderators as it is way out of line. To stick with the guidelines of this website / forums I will not continue this discussion here (or anywhere for that matter) as this type of thing is not appreciated by Groundspeak. An apology from you for trying to point the finger at me, when even Groundspeak know you are the guilty little kid, would be appreciated. End of discussion for me.

RobertM

Geo 2

Experience comes from caching and visiting the forums
That's some odd logic. I know plenty of cachers that never post here but are the tops in Texas.

And I know posters that rarely cache but are tops in the forums...... :rolleyes:

What I meant was that since approvers are also mods, and well rounded experience comes from both caching and visiting the forums......