Cache Page Maps

Just a thought: do you think the cache page maps tell too much about the cache location? Maybe an offset circle with an adjustable radius would be better, and dissuade cache pirating by non-gps-using muggles. How much do you rely on the cache page maps? Only to see if the cache is in your neighborhood or to really zero in on the cache? What do you think?

If anyone wanted maps they could go to just about any online mapping service and plug in the coords to get a map of the location. Adding an offset would only serve to add more to the server load on Groundspeak. Simple is better IMHO.

I thought about that, but it would be an extra step for those who were up to no good. Maybe enough to stop their efforts.

Soem like WaldenRun don't use GPS's to find caches, he goes on maps alone so it would work to good for him. Plus a map is not a picture of the area, it does take some reading and understanding of the map reading to understand what the terrain will loke like there. A normal person would probably not be able to do that. I don't see how it could that much. Becuase you really can zoom up all that close anyway. At least not close enough to show an exact location. And even then you are going on the coordinates that the placer logged, which my be off anyways.

Just a thought: do you think the cache page maps tell too much about the cache location?

Place offset or puzzle caches if you're too concerned.

I always rely on the maps, and sometimes on aerial photos (altho' you gotta know how to tweak url's to make the latter useful), but I frequently search w/o GPS, and I never enter any waypoints into my yellow Garmin even when I use it. I guess it's all about personal styles. Always been a map buff but never been much into handheld gizmos. Likewise I don't use compass when orienteering.

EDITED: of course you don't have to show anything on the cache page, since maps are avialable on the web anyway. So yes <EVIL GRIN>, it would fun to see them deleted.

Edited by MOCKBA
I've found caches without using a GPS. In most cases, it's not easy. I don't see how the map makes much of a difference, other than giving you a good idea where to park.

It makes all the difference in the mountains, where the terrain is so variable that oftentimes, a 50 ft move will very substantially change your environment vis-a-vis the 25,000 map. Which side of a gully? Above or below the jeep track? This or that side of the ridge? How close to a band of trees? What direction from the mine opening?

But even in urban environments, the location could be sandwiched between mapped landmarks in a totally obvious way. Just this weekend I found one cache mapping between two ponds and a paved trail. There were only 4 or 5 trees in this whole area. Then we had a very interesting puzzle cache, where the finder would have to observe a -7 or -8 star magnitude Iridium glare. It mapped between parking lot and a road, and finding even a micro container there didn't require any GPS. Another time I was looking for a fake boulder micro sandwiched between a fence, a street, and a parking lot. This time my GPS was on, but I spotted this dead drop stone before it even latched on the sats under the canopy of trees.

I use the road maps to find how to get within walking distance. I use the Topo maps alot. I like to Land-Nav and usually carry a compass and altimeter on a Geosearch just to keep my skills up. here in new England, the topography varies so much that a Topo map is almost a must when hiking outside of trails.

Removing the maps will give those of us who have mapping software on oiur GPSrs an unfair advantage. The maps on the cache page are quite useless, and the useful maps are behind a link and you don't need to look at them, if you consider them spoilers. Live and let live. And as to muggles finding them: if they want to, they'll find them no matter what.

Besides: We've all started out as muggles, haven't we?

Just a thought: do you think the cache page maps tell too much about the cache location? Maybe an offset circle with an adjustable radius would be better, and dissuade cache pirating by non-gps-using muggles. How much do you rely on the cache page maps? Only to see if the cache is in your neighborhood or to really zero in on the cache? What do you think?

No leave it the way it is. The maps don't tell you were the cache is, they only give you an idea of the area. Plus some GPS units have mapping so it still doesn't solve the non exsistant probelm

Removing the maps will give those of us who have mapping software on our GPSrs an unfair advantage. The maps on the cache page are quite useless, and the useful maps are behind a link and you don't need to look at them, if you consider them spoilers. Live and let live. And as to muggles finding them: if they want to, they'll find them no matter what.

Besides: We've all started out as muggles, haven't we?

I would strongly agree!

If you dont want to see more than what the basic map on the cache page gives dont look, and if you can't control yourself, maybe you should go back to a Dial-Up MODEM, so it takes so long you can't stand to wait.

All kidding aside, leave them alone and we can all decide, how we want to use them.