Stolen Cars

Last summer the kids an I decided to do a local cache called the "back and forth cache. " It was a multiple cache, and at the first location I noticed and unusual pile of branches a little deeper in the woods. The kids and I went over and it was a stolen car that had been stripped of the radio and speakers and was carefully covered with branches. It was within 40 feet of the cache. We reported it to the police and waited for them to come. He was a little suspicious at first why we were way out in the woods (about 200 yards from the closest road). We explained what we were doing and he let us go. Two weeks later another container from the cache was found and the people thought it was a bomb. The bomb squad was called and they blew it up. Needless to say the cache was archived after that.

I often see the rusted out remnants of cars in the most unusual places and in the remotest of areas. Often it there are no longer any visible signs of a viable roadway . . . stolen?? Who knows . . . but there they are and there they'll most likely remain.

I often see the rusted out remnants of cars in the most unusual places and in the remotest of areas. Often it there are no longer any visible signs of a viable roadway . . . stolen?? Who knows . . . but there they are and there they'll most likely remain.

I've seen that too. My best guess is that some kids decided the best was to retire the old junker that still ran is see just how far they could go. You might be surprised how far you can take a car when you don't give a rip about what happens to the car or getting back out.

If they were stolen cars, they were stolen decades before.

Where I live it's about 30 miles to the nearest junk yard, 50 feet to a forest.  Guess where the cars end up???

I got a neighbor that figures it is half a mile to a junkyard and two steps out his backdoor. Guess where his old cars endup :rolleyes:

My place here was a graveyard for old cars when I bought it. Part of the sales agreement was that he move his old cars. He moved them off into the forest but at least they aren't in the backyard anymore.

Places that I have cached in South Western Pennsylvania has tons of "junked" cars out in the middle of the woods. Most of them are very close to party areas. You can bet that some are stolen, others where just beaten to death during a drunking evening and then just left. This weekend I ran across an old refridgerated box van about 2 miles back in the woods. There was no drive train on what was left of the truck, so you decided. Report them? I can only imagin how much it would cost to recover these things...

I found a chop shop dump area while searching for a cache in Mississauga, Ont. There were fenders and frames for 4 Hondas. Funny, no serial numbers to be found. (scratched off or the vin removed) This area is now being watched by the Peel police. :unsure:

Baston