Placing New Caches

Hi

I've been lurking for a while and thought it was time to out myself

I want to place a cache but the land I'm want to put it on is National Heritage

In theory is it okay to use the NH site as a waypoint and offset the cache so its physically not on NH land ? :)

The way I see it, is you have two points to address. Firstly, the rule regarding commercial interest. Is it serving a commercial interest for National Heritage. i.e. would you have to pay an entrance fee? If its just a point of interest I don't see a problem, assuming it won't interfere with any monument etc.

Secondly, if its not on NH land, who's land is it on? Do you have their permission?

If you address both these points, I don't see a problem.

Best of luck.

Obi Wan :)

Permission ????

I've worked out I can do an offset cache , its going to be on or near a public footpath

So do I need the landowners permission regardless of where a cache is ?

Surely that limits me to parks or my own back garden ?

PS the NH site is free to enter , it just happens to be a big bumpy field

If the land belongs to National Heritage, it means there are strict rules concerning that site. And public foot paths are just a legal right of way over someone's land and not publicly owned land, this means you only have the right to walk along that strip of land and nothing else. Sorry if this post seems harsh, but the UK Admins, the GAGB Committee, and others have been, and are involved in negotiations with landowners to obtain permission to place caches. Only if the UK geocaching community follows the guidelines, will we prevent a landowner remove a large no of caches on their land, as happened in the past. Also when you submit a cache for approval you have to tick a box to state that you have the landowners permission. Don't give up on the idea, just find out who owns the nearby land and approach them for permission, as long as you make the approach in a well thought out manner, you will find that landowners are agreeable to the idea, especially if you emphasis CITO to them.

Dave

As you'll see when you fill in the form to post your cache, you do need permission off the land owner. Therefore, in theory, all geocaches are there with permission. Although it would be a little naive to think everyone is 100% honest on this point. (This has been the subject of previous threads.)

As Mancunian Pyrocacher points out, if Geocaching is to have a future, we need to avoid upsetting land owners.

A public footpath is purely a 'right-of-way' as pointed out above, not a right to geocache.

But don't be disheartened. Just try getting permission. If the cache is worth doing, its worth doing right. Plus its alot more satisfying when you succeed!

Regards.

Obi. :)

But don't be disheartened. Just try getting permission. If the cache is worth doing, its worth doing right. Plus its alot more satisfying when you succeed!

If you get permission, not only is it a lot more satisfying because you have done it right, its more satisfying because you know you have added one more to the list of examples people can use as successfully permitted caches.

These are so important to caching in the UK as every one of them increases the chance of another one being allowed somewhere else.

Tiffany

Have just been up to my proposed cache site today for a recce , surprisingly only half the area is owned by NH the rest looks like common ground

If it is common ground then is this okay to cache on without permission

Judging by the amount of emptys up there it may not be a problem :rolleyes:

We have a couple of caches (our first) currently going through the 'waiting for permission to be granted' stage, it's an extremely frustrating time waiting for people to come back to us after nearly five weeks, but at the end of the day we feel it has to be done for the sake of the reputation of geocaching.

We were sorely tempted to plead ignorance, but looking back this is definitely NOT the right thing to do. The only alternative, if you do not wish to go through the necessary formalities involved is to only place a cache on 'common' land and how much 'common' land is there the British Isles, anyway ? Round here (we live in Kidderminster) it seems that most of the land is either owned by the water authority or the Forestry Commission. Also, if the name of the area is followed by 'Common' eg Highgate Common (near Kinver) does this necessarily mean that it is common land in the sense that we are able to act without permission ?

It's a real can of worms, but at the end of the day the over-riding factor HAS to be the preservation of the activity's reputation, however difficult and frustrating it can sometimes be........

We have a couple of caches (our first) currently going through the 'waiting for permission to be granted' stage, it's an extremely frustrating time waiting for people to come back to us after nearly five weeks, but at the end of the day we feel it has to be done for the sake of the reputation of geocaching.

We were sorely tempted to plead ignorance, but looking back this is definitely NOT the right thing to do. The only alternative, if you do not wish to go through the necessary formalities involved is to only place a cache on 'common' land and how much 'common' land is there the British Isles, anyway ? Round here (we live in Kidderminster) it seems that most of the land is either owned by the water authority or the Forestry Commission. Also, if the name of the area is followed by 'Common' eg Highgate Common (near Kinver) does this necessarily mean that it is common land in the sense that we are able to act without permission ?

It's a real can of worms, but at the end of the day the over-riding factor HAS to be the preservation of the activity's reputation, however difficult and frustrating it can sometimes be........

As someone who took 5 months to get permission for a cache, I can understand your frustration. But at the end of the day it's worth the wait, when you get the email notifiying you of the FTF, knowing that you did it the right way gives you a buzz.

As to common land have a look at www.naturenet.net/law/commonland for a explanation of the term and the legalities regarding it. Sites in plain english so is easy to understand

Martyn B & April A good luck with your new cache.

Dave

Edited by Mancunian Pyrocacher