Posting walking time and distance in Cache Log?

juanbob

I was thinking of posting my distance walked and total time spent on a cache in my log for the cache. I haven't seen anyone do this and the cache owners rarely post a distance.

Would I be doing something bad by doing this?? I don't wanna be bad...not just now at least icon_wink.gif

Juanbob icon_eek.gificon_redface.gif

Walking time and distance can be relative. If I park in a different place than you do, mine will be different.

What we DON'T want to do in a log is to give away too many clues (spoilers) that will help the next cacher. Anything that might help the next cacher that isn't mentioned in the cache description should be avoided. I would think this might include distances and/or hiking time.

25021_1200.gif

For us the walking time would only be significant if it was a cache that was not to good. One of the most important qualities of a good cache, is that it is in a location that is worth visiting and spending some time in. On one particularly good cache, Cary Mountain, by Rich in NEPA we wrote the follow:

WARNING – Give yourself plenty of time when you hunt this cache. You’ll love the place and stay longer than expected.

some caches have given starting spots (parking and trailheads) and they usally (or least that how it seems to me) have distances/times. but other caches are meant to have you find your own parking/starting spot if you posted the travel time/or distance it could be taken as a spoiler.

personally i would find knowing distance and time it took other cachers find get to and find the cache helpful. if you want to know the travel time/distance for a certain cache and it isnt listed i would suggest you contact the cache placer and ask them.

whack.gif

I find it usefull when the distance is posted in the logs. I take my two kids who are 2 and 4 years old and I don't want to take them on a 5 mile hike because its too much for them. I really never even thought about it as being much of clue as to where the cache is.

I've seen it done on many of my caches. Doesn't bother me, but I'm afraid it may discourage other seekers. I have one multi cache where a finder mentioned that it took several hours to reach and find the cache. Nobody's looked for it since.

I personally find the info useful if I see it on a cache page. If a previous logger mentions that its a 7 mile hike and the the whole process took 4 hours, then I won't do that cache until I have 4 hours to devote to it.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

I have to take medicine at certain times; I also have a humpty-dumpty ankle put together with screws, plates, and pins. This makes planning essential in my geocaching trips. So if the round trip hunt is more than a mile or two, I really appreciate knowing that in advance so that I can plan accordingly.

That's even more important now that I have found most of the local caches and am making trips to unfamiliar places.

-honeychile-

'*+.,_,.+*'`'*+.,_A joyful heart is good medicine!_,.+*'`'*+.,_,.+*'`

Nice split going here of the yes/no points of view. I was thinking it would be nice to know approx. how long a cache trek took so I could plan the time to go search. I also use mapping software (not topo though) and I find it misleading at times. Did a short cache yesterday distancewise, but it turned into the longest hike of the day.

I think I will post my times/distances into cache logs where the original description mentions something about time/distance, otherwise I will just keep it to myself. I certainly do not want to go against the cache hider's intentions nor do I want to ruin anyone else's hunt for the cache.

Juanbob

how does one actually prepare to search for a cache? i am new to geocaching but not the techniques used. when i am going anywhere by way of gps/map-compass i always scout it out with the use of maps if i am not familar with the area. i have a hunting cabin i haven't visited for two years and when i go in the fall i will review the charts, video footage etc before i leave. if you have the coordinates checking a chart can tell you the terrain and outher valuable datum you may need to consider before you leave. doing the research doesn't make it any easier but it does make it safer in that you have a certain level of preparation.