Campin' & Cachin' - What's Your Story ?

mtndave

I'm a Cacher and a Camper too. Last year I made two journeys here in North East PA. aimed at caching and camping.

First trip was to join in on the "Red Rock and Rolls" Event. It was a blast with Oh so many cachers and lots of caches too.

Later in the summer a buddy and I took a 4 day trip with the camper to cache. We dubbed it a Cache Tri-athlon as we hiked, biked and even boated to caches. Way COOL !!!

Although I tent camped for many years I am now spoiled with a roof, a frig and a bed waiting for me at the end of a long day. Having a comfortable bed at base camp to return to just enhances the adventures of caching and allows me to do more and see more.

I'm starting to get the camper in shape for another round of caching trips this year. Always looking for caching companions and great caching trip ideas.

Curious how many others out there do the same. How many tent vs use campers. What kind of trips and with how may in a group. Famlies vs non-family trips. Love to hear some of those great stories.

MtnDave

Backpacking & caching here. Our favorite area for backpacking trips is Harriman State Park, NY - now with brian b's "Shelters of Harriman" series it gets a new twist: you hike to a shelter, put your backpack down, head out to get water and some wood for a fire and by the way, find a cache :ph34r:

But honestly, most of my finds are at solo day hikes, followed by family day hikes.

This past weekend, we camped out at an OHV park with some Jeep buddies. We were in tents on top of at least 6" of snow. I'll guess temps got to around 25 degrees at the coldest over Saturday night ... which is odd since it got to about 55 degrees at noon on Sunday.

No caching was done, though :ph34r::ph34r: unless you count the spots I was scoping out for a multi during our Jeep run. I'm forever "scoping out" spots. (Now you know why my Cache Finding Rate is such.)

the "Red Rock and Rolls" Event. It was a blast with Oh so many cachers and lots of caches too.

That was a lot of fun!