Too Many Sockpuppets?

Geo-Trekker

Nah, too many Geocachers! It was the first 50+ degree weekend on the East Coast. Everyone came out to stretch the winter legs, not to mention the kool Feb 29th finds. Went for 4 today, met 4 other caching groups and one happened to be a guy I worked with 12 years ago, 60 miles away! I was heavily muggled and I think at least 2 of them were also cachers. Why else would someone make a beeline for you at a cache, then stop and mull around a bit but never leave until you do?

I bet there are TONS of logs that have yet to be filed!

Nah, too many Geocachers! It was the first 50+ degree weekend on the East Coast. Everyone came out to stretch the winter legs, not to mention the kool Feb 29th finds. Went for 4 today, met 4 other caching groups and one happened to be a guy I worked with 12 years ago, 60 miles away! I was heavily muggled and I think at least 2 of them were also cachers. Why else would someone make a beeline for you at a cache, then stop and mull around a bit but never leave until you do?

I bet there are TONS of logs that have yet to be filed!

Wow...it was 50 degrees all winter here. Now that the East Coast has warmed up, it has snowed off and on here all last week!

Unfortunately, it's a different type of problem. Google compute, seti-at-home, and other distributed programs are solving problems where large amounts of computing power are required but immediate responses aren't.

Goundspeak is trying to sift through a mountain of data constantly doing updates and reads and trying to provide immediate responses to requests. At this point it's an issue of tuning and hardware and both are expensive either in labor or money.

The above is just my take on this. I could be stoned.

I don't think that the sock puppets cause the server problems yesterday. I do share your concern that we have a site that is far too liberal with the sock puppet accounts. I think that its a lot nicer to know who you are talking to, and thus I dislike the concept, especially on a forum where our real names and ID's never show up anyway. Would be in favor of a delete sweep of duplicate accounts.

I don't think that the sock puppets cause the server problems yesterday. I do share your concern that we have a site that is far too liberal with the sock puppet accounts. I think that its a lot nicer to know who you are talking to, and thus I dislike the concept, especially on a forum where our real names and ID's never show up anyway. Would be in favor of a delete sweep of duplicate accounts.

There is no way to prove identities here without severely restricting the amount of new people that want to join. This is a free site and is thus subject to the presence of sock-puppets.

I agree with woo2. I don't believe it's a sock puppet issue. The weather here in the midwest the last two weekends has been increasingly warmer (especially this last weekend of Feb.). Snow is gone and haven't had much rainy weather to speak of, so people are getting outdoors! :)