Geocaching

Guest PurpleWallaby

Guest PurpleWallaby

Hi everyone! I don't have a GPS unit or anything, but this definitely looks interesting. It seems it would be the most fun to actually create and place the caches. Which is best? To seek them out or create your own for others to find? I'm definitely interested in this, and it I know a couple of good places where I would place a few cashes in my own town (Leavenworth). Has anyone ever placed coordinates to another cache within their cache? I think that would be fun, caches leading to caches. Well, I'm going to try and by a GPS unit and get started some day. Everyone have fun!

Guest Ttepee

Hi Purplewallaby,

Welcome to the addiction! Great fun to be had in both the hide and the hunt. It's hard to say which is more fun... I put alot of time into both of them.

The hide...Hitting every dollar store and flea market with a new vengenance, planning caches, where to plant them what to put in them.. what container to use...getting out there and exploring the area for a good hiding spot.

The hunt... searching for caches in the cache log pages... when caches have been scoped out then planning the routes and searching for maps and topos.. then actually getting out there and exploring someone else's neck of the woods, seeing the cool places people try to lead you to.

I recently planted a cache like you speak of with the coordinates hidden in the first cache leading to the next... you can read about that one at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=4477 I had alot of fun with this one and spent alot of time in the woods exploring to get this one set up.

I heard about geocaching in May, 2 days later had a gps and was out there hunting... been addicted ever since. It's a great family activity. My favorite is going caching with my son alone... we had alot of fun planting this cache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3928

Till you get your gps read the logs and get an idea of what people are doing out there. There's lots of very imaginative caches that keep the sport evolving all the time. Good Luck to you and most importantly... Have fun!

Ttepee

Guest Paul Lamble

Good to see another local enthusiast. I'm down in Overland Park.

By far, I think most geocachers prefer finding over hiding caches (though hiding can be a lot of fun). However, I have also seen posts in these boards by folks who say they have no real interest in finding caches, but they love to hide them. I think you can have a fantastic time doing either/both.

There are actually a lot of caches that give the coordinates to other caches in them. My Moonlight Cache is a three-stage one. The Heritage Park cache is another. If you pick up trash around the Rosedale Arch cache, the man who hid that one will give you the coordinates to a Bonus Cache with special goodies in it. Multi-caching is a popular variation.

Paul Lamble