Aaaaaahhh!!!!!

JMBella

Well. sure. But it was a beautiful Saturday in the midwest US, at least. The first hint of spring weather, 60*, and every body and his uncle is out caching today. No wonder the server is bogged down.

Yes, it's evident that Grounspeak's servers are maxed out. So, how about it Jeremy? What's it gonna take to get his puppy jumping?

The "Server Too Busy" and "Timeout Expired" errors have been VERY frequent in recent weeks, but tonight is the worst I've ever seen. I've spent the last half hour doing nothing but hitting refresh over and over and over and over so I don't lose everything I've entered for a new cache I'm trying to submit. Seriously, this is ridiculous. :D

1. if you get server busy errors you can refresh that page (the 'busy' page) and (at least IE) will re-sumbit the contents of your controls. You can actually do this multiple times until the log 'takes'.

2. Some web sites have tiered service. Free is slow and unreliable. Pay is faster and better. I wouldn't mind that. What say youse alls?

Uhh maybe it makes sense to try later if the server is busy? Its hard to justify a complete server upgrade when they (it) basically sits dormant 98% of the time.

Just my 2c but it seems to me the time and money (and the increase in requirements for server side bandwidth) it would take to upgrade the server is far better spent elsewhere.

Edited by CacheCreatures
Uhh maybe it makes sense to try later if the server is busy? Its hard to justify a complete server upgrade when they (it) basically sits dormant 98% of the time.

Just my 2c but it seems to me the time and money (and the increase in requirements for server side bandwidth) it would take to upgrade the server is far better spent elsewhere.

I tend to agree for the most part. I'm also glad no one has really turned this thread into a flame GS topic as it was not my intention. Although periods such as this evening may be an anomaly right now, geocaching will continue to grow. This will increase the load on the server. A mandatory fee may not be the worst thing. With as many users as there are even $9.95 fee per year would make a huge difference. I spend more than that on coffee in one day!

I have been running into server error messages the past few weeks, but tonight was the worst that I have seen. It was difficult to get four entries in tonight. I am a premium member because I believe in supporting the site. I would be willing to chip in a few more bucks to help upgrade the equipment. I like my satisfaction "Now!". I don't want to wait! Was this a coding/equipment problem or just plain overload tonight?

BTW, if you're getting these errors...then "hitting refresh over and over until the log takes" is NOT the smartest thing to do.

Take a break, write down all your thoughts in Word or Notepad and come back and try to log them again in an hour or two or even the next morning. If the site is getting farked/slashdotted (repeatedly hit by people until the site dies), then the last thing it will need is people hitting it multiple times trying to get it to work.

The forums are on a different server now (after the forum deaths of 2003) so they won't see the same problems, but it looks like there are enough people logging caches on Saturday and Sunday evenings (especially as the weather improves in the majority of the country this weekend) that until the hardware is upgraded (or migrated out of ASP/.NET *snicker*) or some mysterious evil DDOS sitekillers are found (as per a recent post in the Site Forum), this will become the norm after 2 full day of people caching.

I still have not been able to logs all of my finds for the day. I have one left to go and it's only taken me 5 HOURS!!!! AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I'll up my subcription to $5 if it helps get new servers!

Thanks for letting me get that off of my chest. I feel better. :ph34r:

A lot of us have cars with powerful engines, when 98% of the time we are only using a few horsepower. The amount of power required (whether automotive or computer) is usually determined by projected peak usage.

I have taken a lot of heat in some threads because I have opinions on cache hiding and dealing with others' hidden caches but I have no cache hides of my own. Regardless of that heat, I have continued to actively post on these issues, but NOW, I am doing something about it...something that will help GC.com.

I have decided not to hide any caches until it's clear that the site and its hardware can keep up with the current onslaught of logs every weekend. I am doing my part by maintaining the status quo and logging only every so often and not hiding any caches which could lead to an even greater number of hits on the server that can ill-afford these hits.

Thank you, thank you...the parade will drive down Church St and turn left at Main St where I will accept my medal from the city amid the ticker tape at City Hall...

:)

Why, it was very exciting yesterday. I hunted down a cache without ever getting the screen with coords and description to come up. Just used whatever I could still remember about it (the cache was orginally posted with coords 350 ft off, and I already got a DNF with those old coords). Never even had to switch the GPSr on. On a more embarassing side of things, I did find the printout of the cache page on the floor of MOCKBA-mobile this morning, under the layer of swag, spare socks, and micro containers. Ah, but it was much more interesting search without it!

Ob-evil thought: Just disallow non-member access on weekends

A whole lot of things combined to cause a HUGE spike in usage this weekend. Jeremy said the usage was at record levels. Here's why:

- Much of the US had the first warm weekend after months of cold winter. Everyone and their mothers came out of the woodwork and went caching.

- There were many caching events to log finds on Feb 29th, not to mention individuals doing the same thing.

- A show aired on the DIY channel just before the weekend that featured geocaching as a family hobby. Lots of new people flooded in.

This site was VERY popular this weekend. The server couldn't handle it and Jeremy is clearly working on it.

I too had many logs enter the ether yesterday. I finally gave up, and chose to log them this morning. I got everything from "Service not Available" to DNS errors. Talk about issues - holy crap. Anyway - I hope that these issues get resolved soon. There's nothing like composing a detailed description of a caching experience (like I did) only to have it disappear down the bit bucket.

I too had many logs enter the ether yesterday. I finally gave up, and chose to log them this morning. I got everything from "Service not Available" to DNS errors. Talk about issues - holy crap. Anyway - I hope that these issues get resolved soon. There's nothing like composing a detailed description of a caching experience (like I did) only to have it disappear down the bit bucket.

I've learned to copy each log before hitting the post button, just in case. Try it....it will keep from putting your fist through your monitor.