Etrex tips

Guest GGJohn

I thought that I would start this thread for tips on using the Etrex. Here's my first tip.

You don't need a mapping program to get coordinates for streets and the like, just use the MapBlast website to get your coordinates. This site automatically generates the coordinates for any point. Here's what you do.

1. Go to http://mapblast.com

2. Click on the "Advanced" button next to the "Get Map" link.

3. Enter the Lat/Long of your destination and click "Get Map"

4. To get waypoints for your route, click the radio button that says "both" below the map in the "click to move" section.

5. Click where you want to place your waypoint. Mapblast then redraws your map with the marker centered where you clicked. Your new waypoint's coordinates are printed above the map.

6. Repeat step 5 for each additional waypoint.

You can also use their yellow pages to find the Lat/Long for any business that you want to visit. Do your search and have Mapblast draw the map. Your coordinates are above the map. I successfully used this to find both my hotel and a restaraunt during a recent visit to Santa Fe.

Note: Mapblast uses NAD83 for U.S. and Canadian locations and WGS84 for the rest of the world so you may need to reset the datum when you input these points.

Guest topografix

You can also use the MapBlast site to create routes that can be downloaded into your eTrex (or other Garmin or Magellan GPS). Programs like PanTerra Professional Edition (http://www.topografix.com) can read the HTML generated by MapBlast and load the route directly into your GPS. Makes it really easy to plan road trips!

There was another thread recently (that I didnt bother to go find) that had instructions for getting to the eTrex diagnostics screen. Among other info on the screen is the internal temperature of the unit. This info is used to compensate for crystal drift as the unit warms up. I have no idea how much heat the unit generates to know how far the reading is above the outside temp.

To get the diagnostic screen, hold the click-stick in while turning the unit on.

My tip would be to spend a little money and buy street atlas 2003 if you want to create routes with ease. It works well with my legend. It creates routes, waypoints, will display tracks, waypoints etc. Very cool to see all the geocaches on the screen! I use it in conjunction with g7towin (freeware) as well as easygps. I use easygps to upload the caches to my unit, g7towin to dload them from my unit, and then save them into .sa8 format which I then import into street atlas.

When I had a 3.5 hour drive home in the snow that usually takes 20 mins from downtown nashville, I dumped the track log into SA just to see where the heck I drove.

Ok I just got my legend and I took the book out to read first, but I still have a question??

The first time turning my etrex on , is there any kind of set up I need to do? or IS it ready to go?

I know with my older model there was a first time set up involved where you had to be in a large open area to do?

Cache Now, shovel the snow later!!!

See You In the Woods!!!

Natureboy1376

MapBlast is now owned by Microsoft, so I don't know if all the bells and whistles from before will continue.

I would like to know the lat/long's for my destinations but not sure what way to go yet.

I have another question about the eTrex. I have the Legend. It Defaults to WAAS off and North Positioning is to "True". Should I be using WAAS to better pin point my locations? Should I be using "True" or "Magnetic" north? What do others use?

quote:
Originally posted by Inspector Cache:

It Defaults to WAAS off and North Positioning is to "True". Should I be using WAAS to better pin point my locations? Should I be using "True" or "Magnetic" north? What do others use?

I've read that most people never pick up the two WAAS sats so expending more battery life on it is pointless, nevermind the fact that caches weren't placed with WAAS! (Entirely negating it's value...)

I use Magnetic north as I compare to a compass when I spin around or it doesn't know which way I'm not going (basic yellow w/o electronic compass).

The only time I'd imagine you'd want True north would be if you were working with a map and can't handle magnetic declination... (IE, not for Geocaching...)

If you CAN pick up the WAAS sats where you are (you need a really clear view to horizon supposedly), please do turn it on when placing caches!

Hope this helps,

Randy

I have a Garmin eTrex Vista, and found a really neat feature by accident. From the main menu you can click on a page at the top, next to the X, to fill in personal information, and this will replace the lawyer page when you turn the unit on.

On my unit I decided only to input my email address and cell phone (you can enter any information in the fields, not just what the field names suggest).

Hopefully the information won't be necessary, but I'll be happy I did it if I get a phone call someday from someone that found my GPS after I'd misplaced it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

"A noble spirit embiggins the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield

----------------------------------------------------------------