Recovering Addicts And Alcoholics

Broncoholics

I just watched that movie 28 Days with Sandra Bullock, and I was thinking how cool it would be to see a group like that go geocaching. Anyways, I got to thinking how geocaching would benefit a drug rehab center. If I were a drug rehabilitation counselor, I would take my patients on a cache hunt as often as possible. Exercise and the clean fresh air would do great.

A cache program at the Betty Ford Center ....... Who would have thunk it?

D :D

Edited by upinyachit

Just wait until these former drug addicts go to their first multi and the micro with coords of the cache is missing, and they spend an hour looking for it.

I'll let you be the one to convince them not to take a hit of whatever thier drug of choice is to combat the frustration....

If I were a drug rehabilitation counselor, I would take my patients on a cache hunt as often as possible. Exercise and the clean fresh air would do great.

When I workded at the rehab center the patients were locked up, so would the caches be in the halls or in the free world for all to enjoy.

And don't forget those leather straps for when they can't find it and you have to restrain them.

When I worked at the rehab center the patients were locked up, so would the caches be in the halls or in the free world for all to enjoy.

And don't forget those leather straps for when they can't find it and you have to restrain them.

An inpatient program for adolescent or adults doesn't require any restraints.

They are in a program that consists of a lot counseling. Geocaching would be a great way to help an addict get off of drugs in my opinion. Instead of the drug addict wanting to go get high, they would want to go find a cache instead. We all know an adrenaline rush is better then any other drug. I know I went on a few caches where my adrenaline was going.

So not all drug addicts are locked up when going through a treatment center,

and all drug addicts wouldn't freak out because they couldn't find the cache.

I wonder if there is any geocaching members who is a drug treatment counselor.

I bet you they would understand a little more what I am talking about. I can also say the replies so far indicate they never watched the movie 28 days, and just assume the worse. Some of the most influential people in today's society are recovering addicts. So I hope you guys can see my point without coming down on me like a ton of bricks.

When I worked at the rehab center the patients were locked up, so would the caches be in the halls or in the free world for all to enjoy.

An inpatient program for adolescent or adults doesn't require any restraints.

They are in a program that consists of a lot counseling. Geocaching would be a great way to help an addict get off of drugs in my opinion. Instead of the drug addict wanting to go get high, they would want to go find a cache instead. We all know an adrenaline rush is better then any other drug. I know I went on a few caches where my adrenaline was going.

So not all drug addicts are locked up when going through a treatment center,

and all drug addicts wouldn't freak out because they couldn't find the cache.

I wonder if there is any geocaching members who is a drug treatment counselor.

I bet you they would understand a little more what I am talking about. I can also say the replies so far indicate they never watched the movie 28 days, and just assume the worse. Some of the most influential people in today's society are recovering addicts. So I hope you guys can see my point without coming down on me like a ton of bricks.

I've worked in drug rehab for both adults and adolescents, and yes, leather and chemical restraints are often needed and used. I've also seen the movie 28 days, and all I can say is don't take Hollywood seriously.....do you think a movie about rehab would want to really show the patients screaming and kicking and spitting and cussing and biting and urinating and defecating on anyone or anything for 24 hours a day? Not likely....now, a movie with Julia Roberts in restraints may be a whole 'nuther topic....as for Hollywood's depiction of real life, it ain't no where near real life.

In the right setting with the right facilitation, geocaching would be awesome recreational therapy. That is from me, who has done team building with and without structures like the Alpine Tower you saw in that movie for all ages, settings, and abilities; and my wife who has worked in a therapeutic setting with the spitting/kicking/cussing at-risk youth to the barely mobile ederly. My O-club puts on a special program for an at-risk school. The kids love it even when they don't find all the control points.

I have seen a few folks become quite addicted to geocaching. Trade one for the other, I think you'd be out ahead. Some folks just have that tendency to latch onto something - cocaine, caffeine, Unreal Tournament, turning around three times before they sit down.....

undefined
I have seen a few folks become quite addicted to geocaching. Trade one for the other, I think you'd be out ahead. Some folks just have that tendency to latch onto something - cocaine, caffeine, Unreal Tournament, turning around three times before they sit down.....
undefined

They do not put you in jail for Geocacheing, unlike some other addictions.

Don