Gas Prices Got You Down?

On another forum I visit, I came across an interesting link that pertains directly to gas prices, and it relates to the likely drop in cache hunting due to fuel prices. While some may want to don their tinfoil hats, this guy backs up much of his information with well-known outlets for information. Granted, some of the outlets are a tad biased, but the info is still there.

Peak Oil?

Gas prices

More gas prices

Edited by Brian - Team A.I.

I have just got rid of my Cherokee because of the running costs with fuel up here costing 85.9pence per litre it was costing me a fortune.That is about £3.90 a gallon how does your exchange rate look at the moment £ to $.

I am waitng to get my new car which should return from 40 to 55 mpg this will save me about £1000 just travelling to work and back! Oh the joys of motoring :D

Gas Prices vs other goods.

People have been complaining about the rising price of gasoline recently, but I have always thought that gas was a good value (especially if you were to take the $0.30, $0.40 per gallon tax off at the pump)! Obviously others need a little convincing. So an article in "Autoweek" magazine brought it all to light. What if you were to buy a gallon of . . .

1. - Diet Snapple 16 oz for $1.29 = $10.32 per gallon

2. - Lipton Ice Tea 16 oz for $1.19 = $9.52 per gallon

3. - Gatorade 20 oz for $1.59 = $10.17 per gallon

4. - Ocean Spray 16 oz for $1.25 = $10.00 per gallon

5. - Quart of Milk 16 oz for $1.59 = $6.32 per gallon

6. - Evian (water) 9 oz for $1.49 = $21.19 per gallon

7. - STP Brake Fluid 12 oz for $3.15 = $33.60 per gallon

8. - Vicks Nyquil 6 oz for $8.35 = $178.13 per gallon

9. - Pepto Bismol 4 oz for $3.85 = $123.20 per gallon

10. - Whiteout 7 oz for $1.39 = $254.17 per gallon

11. - Scope 1.5 oz for $0.99 = $84.84 per gallon

So next time you're at the pump, be glad your car doesn't run on Nyquil or Scope or Whiteout!

Anyone drive a Hybrid ? I am seriously considering it, as soon as I can afford to trade out of my 2002 combustible engine car.

Gas Prices vs other goods.

5. - Quart of Milk 16 oz for $1.59 = $6.32 per gallon

They had me going until the gallon of Milk. In some locales, Milk is cheaper than a gallon of gas!!! Gallon of Milk~ $2.25-2.50, Gallon of Gas (in Chicago ~ $1.90)

If Gas is this high now, what will it be during the summer? Our Geocaching might be VERY local this summer. I guess the Feds are so busy going after Janet Jackson and Howard Stern, that they aren't publically asking the retorical question as to why gas is so high.

Time to park the 4Runner andget out the 240!

Im a truck driver and own my own business. I burn easy about $85.00 a day in fuel. 5 days a week. Except for right now , the snow in our area has me sitting home a few days. I pay on average about $1.59 for Diesel. My Pickup is diesel also that I take Geocaching. Its a 2003 Ford F-350 with the 6 liter engine. It gets about 18 MPG.

Edited by RockyRiver

I wonder how much gas was wasted in our recent invasion of Iraq? The only nation that has benefitted from the war lost no lives or money and will likely get a pipeline. From the article, some other little known facts about our curious relationship with Israel which seems to always have our government holding Israel's needs above those of US citizens (what would the Founding Fathers have said about that???)

US efforts to get Iraqi oil to Israel are not surprising. Under a 1975 Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), the US guaranteed all Israel's oil needs in the event of a crisis. The MoU, which has been quietly renewed every five years, also committed the USA to construct and stock a supplementary strategic reserve for Israel, equivalent to some US$3bn in 2002. Special legislation was enacted to exempt Israel from restrictions on oil exports from the USA.

Moreover, the USA agreed to divert oil from its home market, even if that entailed domestic shortages, and guaranteed delivery of the promised oil in its own tankers if commercial shippers were unwilling or not available to carry the crude to Israel. All of this adds up to a potentially massive financial commitment

Just think of this during tax time as you see your money going to Israel for no good reason.....

If you only knew how many things were made from Hydrocarbons it would blow your mind.

Almost everything is C-H Hyrdro-Carbon (Petroleum) that is black gold,Texas T, as Jed would say.

All life forms consist of the Four major Elements C-H-N-O just in different ratios.

The Key Element being carbon it has 4 electrons in its outermost shell that makes it bond easily with the other 3.

Even Ethanol(Ethyl) C2H5 a monovalent radical,is a Hydro-Carbon.

Why do you think they are working on trying to get the Hybrid Hydrogen car going the atmosphere is full of it,

and the Earth is full of Hydrocarbons as well as long as life goes on there will be decay and this is what causes the Nitrogen Cycle,and the Methyl,Ethyl,Propyl,Phenyl,ect...series of the formations of Hydrocarbons,

not Fossil Fuels.it is only a small part of the process.

So lets go caching,afford what you can and it will go down after a while.,probably not much but it will.

Or we could all BOYCOTT buying Gasoline for a week and see if the OIL Companies will Listen.

Whatcha think?

CACHING,CACHING,LETS GO CACHING

The idea of boycotting gasoline simply won't work. People have beat on that drum in the recent past when the price per gallon went over $2.00 in the U.S. There are simply too many things that oil is used for besides fuel these days. What we see happening now is what is always happening, the laws of supply and demand. And with the supply at historic 28 year lows, the price has gone up.

The reason gas prices are high isn't from a lack of oil. The prices are high because of a shortage of refineries.

It would be easy to build more, except that the liberals have prevented more from being built. Naturally, that would change if one of their own were elected, you wouldn't expect them to pay high gas prices if it was their turn to pay the fuel bills.

The reason gas prices are high isn't from a lack of oil. The prices are high because of a shortage of refineries.

It would be easy to build more, except that the liberals have prevented more from being built. Naturally, that would change if one of their own were elected, you wouldn't expect them to pay high gas prices if it was their turn to pay the fuel bills.

Blaming liberals for preventing more refineries from being constructed is oversimplifying the problem and is frankly just plain ignorant. There really isn't a shortage of refinery capacity. Constructing a refinery represents a substantial capital investment and a minimum of four years lead time. Increasing the refinery capacity may lower the cost of fuel but also reduces profits. There is little incentive then to increase refinery capacity. Oil companies control the output of their refineries. They can charge whatever they want and whatever the market will bear. They have every right to do so. Deal with it and quit blaming liberals for your problems.

There really isn't a shortage of refinery capacity. Constructing a refinery represents a substantial capital investment and a minimum of four years lead time.

Ah! That's the real reason not a single refinery has been built here in California for over 20 years. Not because of lawsuits from environmental groups and endless regulation. Thank you for setting the record strait.

Blaming liberals for preventing more refineries from being constructed is oversimplifying the problem and is frankly just plain ignorant.

Deal with it and quit blaming liberals for your problems.

Right, and I'm sure that they have nothing to do with the fact that there is no drilling in the Artic either.

Edit:typo

Edited by cachew nut
What does a gallon cost in the states?

I just paid $6.45 a gallon to fill up at my local Halliburton Station. Then the attendant picked my pocket while he was cleaning my windshield. To top it all off, when I went to leave, I found out my car was on blocks. Luckily they happened to have a set of tires just like mine for sale.

[Where's the icon of the little smiley face with his tongue in his cheek?]

Blaming liberals for preventing more refineries from being constructed is oversimplifying the problem and is frankly just plain ignorant.

Deal with it and quit blaming liberals for your problems.

Right, and I'm sure that they have nothing to do with the fact that there is no drilling in the Artic either.

Allow me to elucidate for those of you in other countries who aren't sure what "liberals" means:

Liberals care about the environment more than they care about people.

Conservatives care about money more than they care about people.

The people, on the other hand, just don't care.

Edit: Where do you stand? Find out here.

Edited by Indiana Cojones
Allow me to elucidate for those of you in other countries who aren't sure what "liberals" means:

Liberals care about the environment more than they care about people.

Conservatives care about money more than they care about people.

Hmm, those definitions are kind of extreme and I wouldn't necessarily describe them that way, but they are accurate enough for a quick one-line description, I guess.

Thanks for the link to the website, my test results came out just where I thought they would.

Edit:edit

Edited by cachew nut

Anybody want some cheese with their whine?????

Gas prices are going to go up. Bread prices are going to go up. Milk prices are going to go up. Prices are going to go up. If you expect every other price of every other product to go up from time to time, WHY is it so unusual to have the price of gas go up??????

We pay the least amount of any country I know of for gas. When we lived in Germany it was outrageous! The Army actually gave us coupon books to subsidize our gasoline purchases so it wouldn't tear an soldier's paycheck to shreds!!!

We are so spoiled here it is not even funny, yet we still complain loudly every time gas goes up a few cents. It is reasonable for this to happen, yet we are all just flabergasted!!!

Buy a motorcycle, you'll enjoy great gas milage...LOL.

Just did a quick currency conversion, £ to $ working out the price of petrol here in Wales. It works out at $6.27 a gallon, I wish we had your petrol prices here! Diesel works out slightly dearer. Cheapest fuel in the Uk at the moment is LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas) as it attracts very little tax, due to being more environmentally friendly. The down side is that it cost around $2000 to convert a car over here, and you have to have a 60l tank in your boot (trunk?).

Dave

I have just got rid of my Cherokee because of the running costs with fuel up here costing 85.9pence per litre it was costing me a fortune.That is about £3.90 a gallon how does your exchange rate look at the moment £ to $.

I am waitng to get my new car which should return from 40 to 55 mpg this will save me about £1000 just travelling to work and back! Oh the joys of motoring :ph34r:

But do remember that, here in the UK, our gallon is a REAL gallon, and is 25% larger than a US gallon.

So when an American boasts "my car has a 40 gallon tank", you have to knock of 20%, to get a "real" figure of only 32 gallons :-). I suspect it all began in Texas, where "everything is so much bigger" :ph34r:

(ok, we both have 8 pints to the gallon, but our pints are 20 ounces)

Paul

I happen to place down near Ghandi, Nelson Mandela, etc. I suppose that makes me one of those horrible liberals. And, come to think of it, I suppose I do value the environment more than people. It's a lot harder to hide a Geocache on a person than in the forest. Even a micro (who would want to retrieve it?).

As for the person who pointed out that the richest Senators are Democrats/liberals: Yes, those people are rich. Of course, the richest (by a large margin) happens to be the Senate Majority Leader, Bill Frist. A noted Republican/conservative. Check out this article for other fun facts about our nation's silly Senators. And stop believing what Rush tells you. He's a drug addict. :ph34r:

"Here's an interesting figure: 43 percent of the incoming Congressional freshmen are millionaires. The other 57 percent are Democrats."- Jay Leno

Edited by Indiana Cojones
There really isn't a shortage of refinery capacity. Constructing a refinery represents a substantial capital investment and a minimum of four years lead time.

Ah! That's the real reason not a single refinery has been built here in California for over 20 years. Not because of lawsuits from environmental groups and endless regulation. Thank you for setting the record strait.

It is unlikely that new refineries will be built in California. In fact, from 1985 to 1995, 10 California refineries closed, resulting in a 20 percent reduction in refining capacity. Further refinery closures are expected for small refineries with capacities of less than 50,000 barrels per day. The cost of complying with environmental regulations and low product prices will continue to make it difficult to continue operating older, less efficient refineries.

http://www.energy.ca.gov/oil/refineries.html

Edited by cachew nut
The reason gas prices are high isn't from a lack of oil.

On April 16, Newsday, the Long Island newspaper, published a startling report that old oil fields in the Gulf of Mexico were somehow being refilled. That is, new oil was being discovered in fields where it previously had not existed.

Scientists, led by Mahlon Kennicutt of Texas A&M University, speculate that the new oil is surging upward from deposits well below those currently in production. "Very light oil and gas were being injected from below, even as the producing was going on," he said.

Although it is not yet known whether this is a worldwide phenomenon or commercially important, the new discovery suggests that there may be far more oil and gas within the Earth's core than previously thought.

http://www.detnews.com/2002/editorial/0205/29/a11-500860.htm

I am waitng to get my new car which should return from 40 to 55 mpg this will save me about £1000 just travelling to work and back! Oh the joys of motoring :ph34r:

But do remember that, here in the UK, our gallon is a REAL gallon, and is 25% larger than a US gallon.

So when an American boasts "my car has a 40 gallon tank", you have to knock of 20%, to get a "real" figure of only 32 gallons :-). I suspect it all began in Texas, where "everything is so much bigger" :ph34r:

(ok, we both have 8 pints to the gallon, but our pints are 20 ounces)

Paul

No matter what the size of the gallon when I was in Canada for a holiday (where petrol is slightly more expensive than the states) My fuel bill for my 10 days use of a hire car was a third of what I would of paid back home for the same distances travelled. Now is this where I learn that a mile is not the same as a UK mile :ph34r:

The reason gas prices are high isn't from a lack of oil.

On April 16, Newsday, the Long Island newspaper, published a startling report that old oil fields in the Gulf of Mexico were somehow being refilled. That is, new oil was being discovered in fields where it previously had not existed.

Scientists, led by Mahlon Kennicutt of Texas A&M University, speculate that the new oil is surging upward from deposits well below those currently in production. "Very light oil and gas were being injected from below, even as the producing was going on," he said.

Although it is not yet known whether this is a worldwide phenomenon or commercially important, the new discovery suggests that there may be far more oil and gas within the Earth's core than previously thought.

http://www.detnews.com/2002/editorial/0205/29/a11-500860.htm

Does this mean I should hold off on getting an electric car?