New To Geocashing, Need Gpsr Advice Please.

mobiusman

Long story short, a fellow by the name of marinerBC got talking to me about geocaching at my work last week and now I've done nothing but research GPS units ever since. I'm pretty excited about my new hobby and want to start off with a good GPS.

So my hours and hours of research have led me to the GPSMAP 76. The only thing that I don't like about it is the limited 8MB of memory. This shouldn't be a problem though, because I can still load all of Vancouver Island from the new Metroguide maps.

Please give me all of your feedback on this unit. I'm a picky person and little things drive me crazy :D (For example I tried out a Meridian and the battery door wiggles; that would drive me nuts).

Thanks and I hope to meet some of you on the trails someday.

I have the Map76S and it's a great unit. If you get the S version, you get 24 megs of memory. In fact, that's the only reason I went with this version. You may want to wait and get the new color Map76C that is due out this year. It has 115 megs of memory and has a USB port. In the meantime, you could get a cheap used receiver on Ebay so you can get started. The only thing I don't like about the Map76, is it is a little difficult to see when the screen is shadowed, it's a bit dark. But in direct sunlight it is very easy to read. I also highly recommend using an external antenna with this unit.

The first trip you take, you'd undoubtedly want to bring your new toy along - and of course there wouldn't be enough memory to hold all of the maps required for the journey. That is the problem I faced with the 8MB Legend. I ended up buying a now discontinued eMap as a second GPSr. That one has removable memory cards up to 128MB (which is enough for MetroGuide maps from New York to Florida - and then some). When the 60C came out, I found that to be the best of both worlds - almost. It still doesn't have the 128MB of memory that my eMap has, but 56MB is still a good amount.

Just my 2¢

Edited by Neo_Geo

I really only need about 6-8MB of memory to fit all the maps for Vancouver Island. I don't ever really leave the island either.

I preferred the GPSMAP 76 over the Legend because of the better antenna and the option to add an external antenna. I do really like the smaller size of the legend though. How big of a difference in reception is there between the two? From what I've read, the 76 does better in trees (lots of those around here), but how much better?

I don't know if you are completey turned off to the Meridians because of the batter door thing, but I would reccomend them highly. I have one, and my friend does also, and we both like them a lot. The battery door may "wiggle" but it's definitely not going anywhere, and they are quite waterproof. I know 6-8 megs would be fine, so the capability of endless megs of space would be overkill, but overall, they are built quite well. The new 76c looks cool though!

I second the Meridian suggestion. The ability to put in an SD card is a real bonus. I know what you mean when you talk about the door, but it is not a problem at all (there have been plenty of other thread discussing that.)

In fact MBC used to be a Garmin guy all the way, but I hear that his Garmins have been gathering dust since he got a MeriPlat :D

Stop making this so difficult. I thought I had ruled out the Meridian. :D

The more I look the more confused I get. I think I should just try one from Walmart. Then I could easily take it back if I don't like that model.

So my 3 choices are: Meridian, Legend or GSPMAP 76. Time to pick one.

Thanks for all the help so far BTW.

Right. Your choices are the Meridian or the GPSMAP 76. :D

Legends are very cool, but if the small size doesn't make a difference to you, I think you get a little more for your money with the others, kind of. A new Meridian Gold will be around 200. While the antenna debate will never stop, my personal opinion (which seems to be somewhat widely accepted) is that the quad helix's do seem to get a better signal in heavier tree cover.

It is definitely cool to have an SD card. It's can be a very helpful feature to have a region of Direct Route (an autorouting street map program) and Topo loaded onto an SD card, and be able to switch on the fly.

It can also be helpful (but quite often overkill) to be able to have lots of maps stored.

People seem to really like the 76's. I think they look like cool units.

I used a Vista for a day, next to a SporTrak map, and in my opinion, I prefered the SporTrak. The antenna seemed to do a better job, and personally (I still like Garmin!) the button layout on the eTrex along with the small screen (but definitely higher resolution) was a problem.

I like the eTrex's if you want the small size, but if that doesnt matter, I would recommend something else.

Edited by SBPhishy

I agree with SBPhishy that the QuadHelix antennas are better, BUT the 76S has a QH so that is not an issue. IMO, the only advantage that Magellans have over the Garmins is the SD card. That advantage is quasi at best due to one only being able to load 64 megs in at once.

EDIT: Oh yea one more advantage for the Magellans, if you are into car navigation, you can autoroute cheaper with Magellans. (But you can autoroute better with Garmins)

Edited by Volwrath

hardware, hardware, hardware... it's all pretty much the same - don't worry about it. what you should be concerned with is who's got the better software - the maps!

for canada magellans maps are not nearly as detailed as garmins. both of magellans products (mapsend s&d canada and directroute) are all about street level whereas metroguide canada v4 not only gives you street level (which you could autoroute with if you were buying a 60c - why aren't you buying this gps instead of all the other pretend gps's... :D) but also gives you nice detail for lakes and streams etc.

until garmin or magellan come out with topo for canada the map software remains the significant difference between garmin and magellan - and garmin's is better!

you had the right company picked out the first time...

Edited by Vlad

Just my $.02. I started off with a Map76 becuase we had one at work. I could use the software at work on my personal GPS that way. I figured 8MB would be plenty. After a year I got the Map76s becuase I found I liked the extra storage. For about $50 difference the extra storage is worth it. I have also found that I like the on-board compass, too. I like the layout of the 76 units. However the best advice is to try as many out as you can to see what you like.

hardware, hardware, hardware... it's all pretty much the same - don't worry about it. what you should be concerned with is who's got the better software - the maps!

Not that I completely disagree with this statement, but there is definitely some call for concern about which actual GPS he should get. Yes, software makes a big difference, but good software on crappy hardware isn't going to do you much good either.

hmmm, not sure what you're trying to say but there isn't one product made by garmin or magellan that i would call crappy. every product made by either of these manufacturers has pros and cons - each and every one of them.

directroute is a good program but like i mentioned once before - it doesn't have complete coverage for canada. metroguide canada v4 does cover canada from top to bottom, left to right (including vancouver island) and also includes a lot of rural detail that you don't find on mapsend S&D canada.

software makes all the difference - that's why the sd card slot has any relevance at all - if it wasn't for the software there wouldn't even be a slot! :D

islandelectron,

Don't underestimate the value of a color display. I know that traditionalists will say that monochrome is all that's needed but God gave us color vision for a reason.

Also, even though it is not advertised, the GPSmap 60C and 60CS units do have tidal predictions and there are 15 tide stations listed on Vancover Island.

With the way you guys push the 60C, one might think you get kickbacks :D.

The 60C is actually a good price ($530 @ GPS Central) for all of the features. I still don't see the need for all that memory. I just never travel off the island. Topo maps aren't even available here. And is colour really needed without topo maps?

I think i'm still leaning towards the GPSMAP 76. With the money I'd save over the 60C I could almost get Metroguide V4 and an external antenna. Curious George has offered me a way to try out a few units and that would really help to narrow this down. This might really be one of the toughest choices I've ever made :D.

I highly reccomend the Map76. I have also got a Venture and had used the eTrex Vista prior to buying the Map76 to see what the mapping would be like on the small etrex's. I found that the eTrex screens were a little too small to see the map detail. The Map76, I have now used in the UK and in Australia and never had any problem with maps. We have recently driven from Brisbane to Melbourne over two days and there was plenty of memory for a full days driving. The interface is also good and you can switch the buttons to beep when they are pressed, so you can hear key presses when driving rather than be reliant on watching the unit. I also use an external antenna so rarely loose signal except in the thickest forests.

It has now also become my primary caching GPS, and works fantastically well. I cannot fault it (maybe a built in internet connection would be good for all those times that you forget to print off the clues and can't find the cache!)

Jerry.