Birdhouse Caches

ChileHead

I have found several birdhouse caches, but it bothers me that people may be poking around actual birdhouses looking for caches. I like the ingenuity that goes into these, but aren't some bird's nests going to be disturbed when a real birdhouse is mistaken for a possible cache?

I have found several birdhouse caches, but it bothers me that people may be poking around actual birdhouses looking for caches. I like the ingenuity that goes into these, but aren't some bird's nests going to be disturbed when a real birdhouse is mistaken for a possible cache?

Probably not if the cacher uses common sense. I've found four bird house caches and by inspecting the birdhouse before touching it, I could clearly see that the house wasn't occupied by birds. All four caches looked like bird houses but the CO's made sure birds couldn't actually get into the houses.

WARNING Be careful when hiding birdhouse caches! One multi I did had the coordinates going right to a birdhouse I opened it up and there was what looked like a realistic bird inside. I decided to search out a bit more and right before I was going to see if the bird was real I found the cache coords underneath the birdhouse. Moral of the story: if its not IN the birdhouse make that clear!

I just finished making a nice one. 6 roomed birdhouse, one of the ones on a pole. Has a secret floor in one and will lower down with a pulley system that is ran threw the pole to a crank at the bottom. The house is complete just have to find the proper area where i can place a pole in the ground. Not sure on how im going to set up a hidden crank at the bottom of the pole. Possibly a small birdhouse or something. Put around 14 hours of work into it and it will provide homes to 5 birds, and 1 peanut butter jar geocache :lol:

Edited by Night_Hiker

I built a birdhouse that was placed in a nature preserve that also had birdhouses in it but none were in the vacinity of my hide. One cacher commented on how they thought that it was part of the park. I placed perches and drilled 2 holes that did not go all of the way through the door and then painted the holes black to give the illusion that they were holes. The unique feature I added was one of those plastic owls that start hooting when it senses motion. I placed it behind a plexiglass panel to discourage someone from taking it as swag. Open door and a friendly owl greets you. After being out in the wild I see that the local wildlife has spent some time investigating this container as there are scratch and bite marks on the roof but it still remains in good shape. A fun cache to make.

I found a bird house cache on a sea side shopping plaza. It was on an outside wall with two other birdhouses in a way that made them look like items for sale. To my surprise, after walking up and down the store fronts, I realized that one of the birdhouses had a covering over the hole. There was a side door that opened to the cache!

There's one here in Killeen, TX, that as I discovered, if you are not too careful, you will end up missing it. I will have to go back and get a picture of it. It was IMO well done.

Here's that picture I promised. This is Home Tweet Home, located in Killeen, TX.

42b6d518-cf20-449e-9cba-d588de2a2781.jpg

I've seen two. One that had a bag inside and a fake hole, and one that had an ammo can inside. (Given how big ammo cans are, the second one was rather obvious and I think it had a fake hole too.)

I personally think birdhouse containers that birds can actually get into may not be a great idea. Birdhouse containers with a fake hole are a different story. (Likewise, I would try to avoid placing a Geocache near a bird's nest. Even one that looks abandoned.)

We found our first two recently. Both descriptions made it clear it was very likely a birdhouse. The first was near a rest stop in the mountains and was a miniature birdhouse, very cute. I do wonder how it will hold up in rain, though.

Second one was put up outside a coffee shop with owner's permission, right around the corner from the outdoor patio. We had to wait as there were two tables of people nearby. Once they started chatting with each other, we snatched it. It was really obvious it was not a "working" birdhouse. Very fun cache and the mochas were wonderful--fresh whipped cream. I always try to patronize establishments that allow and support caches whenever possible (exception was a wig shop!)

We found our first two recently. Both descriptions made it clear it was very likely a birdhouse. The first was near a rest stop in the mountains and was a miniature birdhouse, very cute. I do wonder how it will hold up in rain, though.

Second one was put up outside a coffee shop with owner's permission, right around the corner from the outdoor patio. We had to wait as there were two tables of people nearby. Once they started chatting with each other, we snatched it. It was really obvious it was not a "working" birdhouse. Very fun cache and the mochas were wonderful--fresh whipped cream. I always try to patronize establishments that allow and support caches whenever possible (exception was a wig shop!)

Coffee and geocaching.. is there a better combo? I think not :lol:

I built a birdhouse that was placed in a nature preserve that also had birdhouses in it but none were in the vacinity of my hide. One cacher commented on how they thought that it was part of the park. I placed perches and drilled 2 holes that did not go all of the way through the door and then painted the holes black to give the illusion that they were holes. The unique feature I added was one of those plastic owls that start hooting when it senses motion. I placed it behind a plexiglass panel to discourage someone from taking it as swag. Open door and a friendly owl greets you. After being out in the wild I see that the local wildlife has spent some time investigating this container as there are scratch and bite marks on the roof but it still remains in good shape. A fun cache to make.

Here are some pics of the cache:

6037187052_1fd4be9559_z.jpg

6037187088_875e2c0717_z.jpg