Birdhouse Caches

ChileHead

This has probably been done before, but has anybody else made a cache inside of a birdhouse? I nailed a birdhouse in the woods near a stream, just off a main path so it didn't look too out of place. On the inside I glued a black piece of wood over the bird hole so a bird wouldn't make the cache his home. Inside the birdhouse was the actual cache.

People seemed to like it.

:D I was walking through this park and found a real nice birdhouse that was long off of its mount and thought this would make a really cool geocaching coordinates container. So I go to the local hobby shop and buy some wood eggs, print the coordinates onto them with a permanent black marker and then spray paint them with clear lacquer. I attach them to the inside of the house with steel fishing line leaders and eyehooks, then close up the hole with a small round circle of sheetmetal that is glued into place over the entry hole, from the inside. Then I mount one of those "s" type screendoor latch hooks to keep the door shut on it to the bottom of the door and go out and mount it onto a tree in the forest. Only two people have found "Quest 4 :::--->>> Cochise" cache so far. The final coordinates are a giant *$)&@(%)(#%&)*%&)*(%, that holds a large bucket full of mega goodies. P.S.-Lucky for me the local Goodwill store also has a good selection of birdhouses as well, lol. Edited by KEYPERSN
This has probably been done before, but has anybody else made a cache inside of a birdhouse? I nailed a birdhouse in the woods near a stream, just off a main path so it didn't look too out of place. On the inside I glued a black piece of wood over the bird hole so a bird wouldn't make the cache his home. Inside the birdhouse was the actual cache.

People seemed to like it.

I have seen one here in Oregon but I won't give it away as I found it to be a super surprise and I'd hate to ruin it for anyone. I saw that darn thing and circled it several times before my wife finally discovered what it really was.

Go do it.

I have seen one here in Oregon but I won't give it away as I found it to be a super surprise and I'd hate to ruin it for anyone. I saw that darn thing and circled it several times before my wife finally discovered what it really was.

Go do it.

I guess that means you havent found the other ones ehh?

I made a cedar bluebird house with false bottom and a hidden compartment in the bottom one fourth.

I placed a hinged flip up door on the side and used magnetic cabinet door latches it hold it closed. A 3x3x2 Tupperware container fits the hidden compartment. The top part is a fully functional birdhouse.

Just to make it identifiable I used a wood burning tool to put a small GeoCache logo on the door.

The hints are “Someone to Watch Over Me” and the word "Bottom" in the cache name.

Felton Creek Bottom

The cache is placed along the Cardinal Greenway, an abandoned C&O railway.

Edited by greengecko

I found a cache a few weeks ago that had a miniature birdhouse as the container. I knew what I was looking for from the hints. The only problem was the actual birdhouse in a tree nearby. It's nice and visible, so of course cachers are going to go straight to it and disturb the birds inside. If you hide your own birdhouse cache, you might want to make sure that there aren't any feathery things nearby that would object to your changes to the neighborhood.

OK, not a birdhouse but its close. I have one of these on the work bench awaiting proper "modification". It might even be double wall so it appears to have seed it in. Could be good!

I've seen this type of container used once. All I could think of was how the hungry birds must get terribly frustrated! The feeder holds quite a lot of cache stuff and must be lowered on a pulley to open. I've done 2 birdhouse caches in Central Oregon.

I totally loved the birdhouse caches I found recently.

I guess one had some problems as they had to note that you didn't need to deconstruct the birdhouse to get to it (hidden door). If you do a hidden latch be prepared for someone (probably someone like me who just doesn't "get it") to unscrew the birdhouse to get to the cache.

I am going to resurrect this topic because I have an idea for an evil birdbox that involves a trap door and a hidden latch release...

It involves a car hood latch, a good length of bicycle brake cable, some PVC pipe, and an old tricycle...

Think it will "fly?"

Found a birdhouse cache once that had a hidden compartment under it. It appeared to be a normal birdhouse. Inside was a divider floor which separated the real birdhouse above with the cache compartment below. To access the hidden compartment you removed 2 long nails in the bottom and the bottom dropped out revealing the hidden cache. The nail holes were just a bit oversized for the nails so the nails could be removed by fingers.

I really enjoy this type of cache. The first time you find one at least for me, just cracks you up. Search, search, search, and there it is the whole time. Have found at least four and each one has been great. One way out in a forest really had me laughing. Another time, one was used as a dummy cache with the real cache right next to it.

I only have 25 finds but two of them have been fake birdhouses...well, not exactly, one of them was a fake birdhouse and the other was a fake wood duck box (see example below)...

1218071521.jpg

...which are a pretty common sight around here. In this case, the top where the hole is actually was a functional birdhouse and the bottom part opened to reveal the cache.

I found one In Nebraska that I liked and made one similar. A bird can not get into this and the name of the cache is "Not For THe Birds". You have to find the secret to get inside to get the cache container. Also found one not to long ago about 15 miles from home here. These 2 that I have seen a bird can not get into and there is no question as to that it is a cache.