Dangerous Objects

PILTY

From the Official Geocaching FAQ:

What shouldn't be in a cache?

Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, ammo, knives, drugs, and alcohol shouldn't be placed in a cache. Respect the local laws. All ages of people hide and seek caches, so use some thought before placing an item into a cache.

Food items are ALWAYS a BAD IDEA. Animals have better noses than humans, and in some cases caches have been chewed through and destroyed because of food items in a cache. Please do not put food in a cache.

Try this neat thing called a search feature its been covered in depth else where and you are cluttering up the forums with your rather short sighted postings.

search.jpg

-Robert

Wow, this forum has changed in the short 3 months I have been reading it. In the old days, when someone asked a question, it was answered, or a link to the other topic was posted.

What word would YOU search for, and how much time would you spend reading through 3+ pages of posts before you gave up/assumed it was not there? If you do not know the correct word or word string, you could spend days.

Dangerous Objects=1 post, this one

Dangerous=37 none of which apear to cover this topic

Dangerous cache items=nothing

Bad cache items=nothing

Do you get the idea?

When did people get to be so smart that they assume everyone else is an idiot, and did not try a search first? On the same note, I was not born knowing everything I know now, and I doubt anyone else was. We learn through asking questions.

Just use common sense, I believe that where your cache is located should play a part in what you put in it. If you find a cache with something that you feel is dangerous just remove that item and put something safer in its place. :D

Edited to remove my remarks about the rough handling of topic starter. While I will agree that any question should be allowed in the Getting Started forum, I will not defend anyone who has been around a short time and has called out a very established forum poster and experienced cacher.

Edited by Mastifflover
Try this neat thing called a search feature its been covered in depth else where and you are cluttering up the forums with your rather short sighted postings.

search.jpg

-Robert

Testy testy aren't we?

Geez give the guy a break. Anyway Stunod gave a pretty good list straight from the faqs..

There was recently a discussion about knives in caches. Most thought it was a bad idea, a few didn't see why it was such a big deal.

Usually if I see something that doesn't belong in a cache, I'll trade it out. If I don't have use for it, I'll just trash it or give it to some one I know that might have use for it.

I've seen caches that were FULL of dog stuff. No problem except for all the individually wrapped baggies of dog biscuits. Just because you might not eat it doesn't mean its still not food. I would have taken all that out, but well I didn't have enough stuff to trade for it all, and didn't feel too good about taking the majority of original contents. Honestly if I had a dog, I wouldn't feed it anything I found in a cache anyway. Who knows who put it there. Just like I wouldn't eat any food item found in a cache.

Best bet is to use your common sense.

When did people get to be so smart that they assume everyone else is an idiot, and did not try a search first? On the same note, I was not born knowing everything I know now, and I doubt anyone else was. We learn through asking questions.

Bravo Cherokeecacher.

I don't mind an answer like this in the Geocaching topics forum, but this IS the Getting Started forum.

This was the type of reply that I hated seeing those 3 short months ago when I was asking these questions.

F_M

Wow, this forum has changed in the short 3 months I have been reading it. In the old days, when someone asked a question, it was answered, or a link to the other topic was posted.

Its nice to try and be helpful and understanding, but This topic's starter has been trying to be annoying or they have a major dislike for all those dozens of people that have been answering the questions. (Otherwise I can't understand why they keep going in the same circles to things they should have read if not asked about once already...)

If you don't believe me go to the geocacing.com site forum, and see how many posts they've had about disabled caches and a few other topics :D .

no excuse to rudeness. while i havve to agree that the topic starter seems to be tossing rocks and running, i think the "try searching" answer leaves much to be desired and sends the wrong message to those who have questions and have not found useful searches.

in the last week i've not asked a couple of questions because i didn't wnt to get told to search. if i'm asking, either my search has not been useful, or i'm not getting anything at all.

i'd prefer to see particular trolls get told to suck on a marmoset rather than to make failure to search the issue. the complete failure of anybody to respond at all is the best response to silly starters.

As far as welches comments are concerned, I simply stick to what I asked in the other topic and that topic is still valid! If it wasn't there would not be any posters posting good suggestions of how the goal concerned can be achieved. If I don't like what oldagd says in one of his posts then I would simply not reply to it. This was a valid question! I have read what the geocaching site says should not be in a cache and have common sense to know what shouldn't be in a cache. I asked for advice from other cachers in case, for example, there was a 6 inch blade in a cache and I removed it for safety reasons. If after that someone said "what are you playing at?", I could show the post to show that I had checked on the rules first.

As for the behaviour of oldagd......no comment.

During a recent discussion it was mentioned that we should ensure against dander to children, haldicapped and the old etc. What is classed as a dangerous article is a cache and what should we do if we find one?

No way no how will I ever ensure, insure, or assure jack about danger for anyone in any way shape or form. People are far too creative in getting themselves hurt for me to even warn against anything that might come up. I might leave something out then some moron who thinks it's my job to make up for his stupdity will sue me and set a precient.

Far better to leave it as "you assume all risks". Now should I drop a hint as to danger, it was purly by accident and you still assume all risks.

Perhaps somebody could reply for me?

I'll make a reply for Pilty,

Spot on Renegade Knight! Sums up the whole liability bit better than some other gits I've heard.

The lakes are thawing, so I'm towing the fishing line behind my boat.

Edited by geckoee