Will this cache work?? Advice please.

Pantalaimon

Little advice please.

I'm thinking of starting a cache that I plan on calling the Make-Me-More-Multi-Cache (Its a working name).

Anyway, here's the details: I will hide this cache in a spot of my choosing. It will be a 1/1 spot, not too hard to find. The rules of the cache will be that the NEXT person who finds my cache, takes one of the small plastic containers (which contains a slip of paper) out of the cache and hides it back where my cache was. THEN, that person takes my cache SOMEWHERE ELSE (100 feet, 1 mile? 10 miles away?!) and hides it. The person then has to record the coordinates and go BACK to the original spot and write the coords on the slip of paper in the container.

NOW, the next person has a 2 part multi-cache to do. They have to find the first little plastic container at the original coordinates. Then they have to find the cache. THEN, they have to do the same hiding step to another spot. NOW ITS A THREE PART CACHE.

The ultimate idea is, the later you get to the cache, the harder and longer the cache gets!!

Also, it makes it fun for me when I do cache maintainence...because now it will be a multi-cache!! And I might have to ask for clues to find my own cache!!!

I'd have to add rules about distance, and mandatory movement to log the cache, and the movers would have to email me a complete description of where they moved it to, and any clues they'd like me to add to the page...

But I think it could work. And barring anyone's advice on why this won't work, or whether there is another out there that DIDN'T work, or didn't get posted, I'm starting it in Maine this week. Maybe Massachusetts.

Advice please?

Taz

I like that idea, and I think it could work. The operative word is could. Unfortunately, the more you ask people to do, the more likely it is that someone will screw it up.

I think it's likely that someone will go out there full of energy, take the cache to move it to a new location... and then sit on it, possibly never to be seen again. Look at some travelbugs.

If you don't mind the fact that the cache might only be found and moved a couple of times and then disappear, I would say put it out there... It's a clever idea, and if finders participate, it could turn out to be a very fun multi.

Jamie

Creativity is part of this game and I've never encountered a cache that's similar. Sounds good to me. The only drawback I can think of would relate to whether your area is heavily hunted. If so, it could become a monstrosity pretty quickly, especially if people want to get it early while it's not too difficult. If it gets too big, people may ignore it. I would suggest that you "reset" it if there's a prolonged period of no activity.

Other than that, I'd say go for it!

"Man's ability to weasel out of trouble is what separates us from the animals...except weasels, of course." - Homer Simpson

Wish I had thought of it icon_smile.gif

The only problems I would see are - you are relying on others to make this work- and they could mess it up by not re-locating or by re-locating to a bad spot... Maybe add some guidelines as to where/how it is to be moved...

Or it would get too "multi"- would there be a limit? As someone said, maybe reset it periodically?

Tara P

Tara P

Wish I had thought of it icon_smile.gif

The only problems I would see are - you are relying on others to make this work- and they could mess it up by not re-locating or by re-locating to a bad spot... Maybe add some guidelines as to where/how it is to be moved...

Or it would get too "multi"- would there be a limit? As someone said, maybe reset it periodically?

Tara P

Tara P

Only problem I see is a lot of people go out when a cache is new. There could easily be a situation when a person is placing is somewhere and other people are looking or the original and al they find is a plastic container with no new cache info.

Maybe you could just move it once a week yourself, or tell people they need to come with new coordinates in hand for a new hiding place and then move the cache directly there.

cool_shades.gif ---I will stand out, I am a raven in the snow.

quote:
Originally posted by Nurse Dave & LKay:

Only problem I see is a lot of people go out when a cache is new. There could easily be a situation when a person is placing is somewhere and other people are looking or the original and al they find is a plastic container with no new cache info.

I thought about this and I agree with you, it could be a problem. However, I thought that maybe that's just part of the game. You'd know if you found a container with no coords that you've interrupted a hide... and you have to wait for the person to come back. Maybe I'd add a little form note that the person would leave until they came back with the correct coords. ("Sorry! I'm not back yet with the new coords. I should be back by _________ am/pm. Wait for me if you like!!)

Ultimately, I think that's a risk I'm willing to take for now, and then see how it works out.

Thanks!

Taz

Taz,

I like to see people adding new ideas to the game and I commend you.

The only problem I see (I hate nay-sayers) is if I know of a good place to move your cache to, wouldn't I just place one of my own there?

However, if you keep the next hide to within 100 yards or so of previous location the task of re-hiding it would be much easier as would the task of finding it. Sure, it may get bounced around a lot in one area, but I think that would make it do-able. If I thought that the cache could have been moved "anywhere" several times, I probably wouldn't bother hunting it (it could be anywhere). But if I knew that once I found the original location the cache would probably be somewhere nearby I would definately hunt it, even though it may now be a longer multi-cache.

Keep it close enough to keep it from getting out of control, but far enough apart that you don't find a set of coordinates by accident.

Let me know when you place it. Sounds like fun!

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

The only problem I see (I hate nay-sayers) is if I know of a good place to move your cache to, wouldn't I just place one of my own there?

My answer to that would be (at least from my perspective) people don't place caches in EVERY good little spot they know of (at least I don't). So maybe this will serve as an excuse to move my movable cache there, quickly and easily putting a cache in that location with very little work on their part!

We'll see!

Taz

I also hate those that put a damper on it, but the other question this begs...

How many legs is too many? If 20 people have found it and moved it prior to your search, are you really going to be interested in a 20 leg Geocache? Especially if the contents have all been traded out for broken McToys?

You might want to cap it at a certain number of moves.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

I think this cache could work indefinitely if you limit the distance in which you could place the next segment.

I think something like this would be best done in LARGE state/city park that allows such activity. It'd be nice to keep it within the boundries of the park, so people wouldn't have to go all over BFE to find it.

As people report how many links the cache is up to, you could increase the difficulty if you felt the need as well.

All in all, it sounds like a great idea - with considerate cachers it would be a lot of fun. Lots of ideas are good in theory, though. icon_wink.gif

- Toe.

--==< http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe >==--

I think this cache could work indefinitely if you limit the distance in which you could place the next segment.

I think something like this would be best done in LARGE state/city park that allows such activity. It'd be nice to keep it within the boundries of the park, so people wouldn't have to go all over BFE to find it.

As people report how many links the cache is up to, you could increase the difficulty if you felt the need as well.

All in all, it sounds like a great idea - with considerate cachers it would be a lot of fun. Lots of ideas are good in theory, though. icon_wink.gif

- Toe.

--==< http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe >==--

I have something similar, but instead of each person adding a new leg to the cache (that could get out of hand) they just move the cache. There is also an "anchor cache" where the new coordinates are placed. The anchor also has a book in it where you supposed to indicate if you are in process of finding/moving the cache.

Here is the link:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=12250

If you post the size of the cache container, the searcher could come with the coordinates of the place he plans to hide the cache with him, rather than returning with the coordinates after hiding it.

It could be limited within one park to limit the travel distance between caches- thn the only problem would be that if it was *really* busy, there would be a greater chance of impacting the park...

Tara P