Unavailable Caches

PILTY

I have 2 ISPs I have access to. A dial-up and broadband. With the dial-up having over 3000 phone numbers and 30 are toll-free, it is possible for me to appear to have dialed in from anywhere in the USA that has a dial-up line in that town. BTW, this would show different IP addresses as well...

Is it hard to prove, no. It is very easy, as the ISP can give the phone number the account used to dial in from (even if blocked from caller id.)

How/why do I know this? I do it for a living. Will Jeremy do this, probably not. It would be easier to just revoke access to anyone he or his moderators feel is abusing his terms and conditions.

Now, this topic is SO FAR OFF from where it started, it doesnt even make sense anymore. It just seems that you have to have thelast word, and then lace it with sarcastic remarks.

If you really wanted this crap to end, you could just say, OK and nothing else. That way, no one would have anything to say back, and you still get the last word, which seems so important for you

Edited by Deckyon
My first thread on a similar topic which was incorrectly titled anyway was forcibly closed by the moderators! I closed the others myself because they wre pointed out to be incorrect by mopar. This one is simply a question that I would like to hear replies to. mopar seems to dislike me and is sticking to his guns. I however would just enjoy hearing from other cachers that have suggestions on how the sport can be improved!

Blah. In that thread you said -

There is no longer any point to this discussion so if the name callers and abusers of the forum, no names mentioned, key approver, would like to have a bit more of a moan they have a little time left. After that I will close the post.

So you yourself where planning to close the thread; you just wanted to take a couple of cheap shots first.

Then Moun10bike closed the thread, saying -

This topic has degenerated to the point where it no longer serves any helpful purpose, and I am closing it.

As a 'newcomer' (to use your own term for yourself), you don't realize just how rare it is to see him do something like this, and just how bad things had gotten for it to occur.

But you shouldn't have been upset, I would think, because you had intended to do the same thing. Surprisingly, you were offended by someone else doing exactly what you had planned to do.

You then opened seemingly endless threads all discussing the same topic that had gotten out of control. When each was shut down you started more, not once getting a clue. Again, as a newcomer you are obviously lacking the experience to tell you that this sort of behavior is a Bad Idea. (At least you've gained that much now...)

And so here we all are again, back to the original question in a thread where you yourself have been spending most of your time posting off-topic (as defined by the thread title). So, first a piece of Internet advice. When you join any mailing list, forum, newsgroup or other on-line community, spend some time reading and observing before you jump in and tell every you know better than they how to run things. Surprisingly, your Great New Ideas may not be so new or so great as you think. At the very least you'll gain valuable experience that will stand you in good stead, experince you would have benefited from in these forums.

Now, to get this back on-topic...

You ask, 'I see a problem with disabled caches sitting for long periods without anyone taking action on them. Why don't we just archive the lisitngs after a period of time?'

Answer - 'There's numerous problems with your suggestion and the folks in charge of the site do not wish to take the time and effort necessary to do so, even if it could be reasonably done despite the beliefs of many that it cannot. There's plenty of other more pressing ideas that need to be implemented, and this would only delay them.

There is, however, a simple solution already in place, one that will have the desired result, won't take time away from implementing other planned site changes, and won't require opening a dozen threads all asking the for the same thing over and over, thus saving everyone both time and angst.

Use the 'This Cache Should Be Archived' option to report problem caches to the approvers, and trust them to handle it.

Any other questions?

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah (you know, the same thing over and over, I don't need to quote it).

If hearing other opinions stops this incessant whine, then by all means:

I think it is a bad idea to automatically archive caches.

Unreal. Since you want to hear it from others I will join the many voices...

I will even say it LOUD since you don't seem to hear it...

I think it is a bad idea to automatically archive caches.

T-Storm, Very funny and right on the mark!!!

The problem you are trying to correct should be addressed on the local level, in my opinion. It is much more appropriate for local cachers to check on disabled and archived caches than it is for it to be addressed by GC.com. The problems with an automated solution or one driven manually by the admins have already been discussed.

A much simpler solution is communication between local cachers. If a cacher quits playing and archives his/her caches, locals can check to verify that the boxes were removed. If a cacher drops out of sight and stops taking care of his/her caches, locals can maintain them unofficially or adopt them. On a local level, cachers can review these caches as well as disabled and archived cache pages (and talk to the owners) to determine whether caches should be reported to be disabled.

Ok this to to those that think I am Pilty. The last time I look I didn't have anything hanging between my legs and I do I would like to know how I missed it. As for me coming straight to this topic I have been looking of geo-caching for the last week or so and thinking about doing it so I thought I would join and see what kind of people I was going to be dealing with and I had noticed a lot of cache sites that seemed forgotten by their owners so this topic caught my eye. Yes I agree with Pilty mainly because I am not a old [expletive deleted by moderator] stick in the mud that can't handle change. All you [expletive deleted by moderator] have done is knocked and bashed Pilty for asking a simple question which would force owners to take care of their caches or lose them and if they get mad at that well they all can go to where the sun don't shine and as far as me doing this I don't think so I want to join a group where everybody's opinion accounts. Go ahead check my IP address you will see that it is not the same as Piltys and I bet you checked right now he is on. As far Pilty's opinion it is right on the money.

Edited by Moun10Bike

I offered one solution to the disabled caches early on.

The problem I'm having is understanding what you perceive as the real problem. I know some caches are disabled for long periods of time and some owners don't take care of them. I do Not understand what is the problem with having disabled caches.

Would you please specify as exactly as possible what the problem is?

Why do those caches need to be archived?

Help me out with something specific, PLEASE.

John

The problems John are these.

When a newcomer comes to the site:-

They usually know very little or nothing about "unavailable" caches.

Many unavailable caches are no longer there.

Not being a premium member, they cannot do a PQ search(even if they know what one is!)

The newcomer may search for an unavailable site and be dismayed that it is not there and no information has been given by the cache owner.

As the current system stands the onus for removing a cache rests on the shoulders of the cache owner or someone willing to chase them to find out what is happening to the cache(sometimes months later).

Nobody seems willing to hit the "Should be archived" button.

When searching for caches in some areas, there are many of these, and without premium membership it is necessary to, "check mark" each individual cache that you need to download to your GPS.(I am not sure of this but that is what I had to do)

I may be able to PQ search but a newcomer cannot but, I am not here for me!

If an automated system could be put in place for the "needs archived" operation then the burden would be taken away from other cachers that feel bad about the archiving system. Searches would be easier and the only downside that stands up as the real truth is that geocaching.com MAY get a few less subscriptions. There have been many suggestions on how it could work. Some of them I think would have great promise and would make the site easier to use for a newcomer. The sad fact is that people fear change or lack of income more than they are willing to search for a solution.

As for ladybugs post. I agree with mtn_man although I would feel more than a bit angry if you called me a woman! Having said that I dare say that she doesn't realise how little the main antagonists comments really are. This is after all just a discussion!

The problems John are these.

When a newcomer comes to the site:-

They usually know very little or nothing about "unavailable" caches.

Many unavailable caches are no longer there.

Not being a premium member, they cannot do a PQ search(even if they know what one is!)

The newcomer may search for an unavailable site and be dismayed that it is not there and no information has been given by the cache owner.

As the current system stands the onus for removing a cache rests on the shoulders of the cache owner or someone willing to chase them to find out what is happening to the cache(sometimes months later).

Nobody seems willing to hit the "Should be archived" button.

When searching for caches in some areas, there are many of these, and without premium membership it is necessary to, "check mark" each individual cache that you need to download to your GPS.(I am not sure of this but that is what I had to do)

I may be able to PQ search but a newcomer cannot but, I am not here for me!

If an automated system could be put in place for the "needs archived" operation then the burden would be taken away from other cachers that feel bad about the archiving system.  Searches would be easier and the only downside that stands up as the real truth is that geocaching.com MAY get a few less subscriptions.  There have been many suggestions on how it could work.  Some of them I think would have great promise and would make the site easier to use for a newcomer.  The sad fact is that people fear change or lack of income more than they are willing to search for a solution.

As a newcomer we read each cache page before we decided whether or not we wanted to hunt it. If the cache had a line through it we were smart enough to know that it wasn't available at that time. When you go to that cache's page it also is marked disabled. We didn't find this a problem as a newbie.

Some caches are unavailable and NOT marked as disabled. This is one reason to read the last few find logs for a cache. No guarantee on the cache being there. We had one cache taken with-in one day of being approved. It happens.

When we were newbie we didn't try to download "batches" of waypoints to the GPSr or to a PDA (didn't even know what one was then.). We printed out the cache page and took it with us and input coords as needed. worked for us. You should try downloading pages for "Benchmark Hunting".

Not being able to do "Pocket Queries" is another reason to become a premium member.

It appears as though the only real problem is how you choose to look at the "nearest cache search" results.

Most newbies we know have never said anything about disabled caches except to ask what they were and why they were disabled. One person asked how they got disabled but none ever complained about having to scroll past them in the search results.

It's a learning experience and I can not see any way to do away with disabled caches. When you (people in general) get good at finding caches then try for benchmarks.

Remember the whole idea is to get out and have some fun.

John

Yes it is short for Piltdown man. I wanted an unusual name for a password and I have always loved the irony of the Piltdown man hoax! Even though I am from Britain I, sadly, haven't had visited Piltdown yet! The last that I heard there were no remains and tourists where ruining the area. Not wanting to add to the problem I stayed away.

Pilty.

Not to add fuel to the fire but I must ask, what time limit would you put on a disabled cache before throwing it out?

And if you posted that information in another post, humor me. I am not about to dig through the rubbish pile looking for a clean q-tip.

And for the record, I think you have a bad idea even wanting to do this in the first place.

And to answer your question, I am not a programmer or anything close to it so I would have no idea how to go about doing it. But it does sound like a pain in the "Equas", very time consuming and not worth the effort.

And as for ladybug, byby. If your going to judge this whole website and group of people by the response's to one subject (which seems to have been beat to death elsewhere already) then you need to look at your values a little deeper.

Just my nickels worth. And due to the subject, I want some change back.

logscaler.

EDIT: I forgot to say that if you ticked Moun10Bike off enough for him to close a thread, your in a very very very small group. Maybe even by yourself.

logscaler.

Edited by logscaler

I stayed away from the archeological "dig" site sparky because tourists were flooding into the site and causing problems.

For those that are making fun or being just plain rude. Enjoy your taunts if it makes up for you being a pitiful human being with a low self esteem and even lower wit! :D

I stayed away from the archeological "dig" site sparky because tourists were flooding into the site and causing problems.

For those that are making fun or being just plain rude. Enjoy your taunts if it makes up for you being a pitiful human being with a low self esteem and even lower wit! :D

WHOOOOOSH!!!!!!!! (different meaning than the last time someone used that in reference to you)

Isn't it about time for another of your threads (this one, to be exact) to be closed? Seems to me it's drifted too far from the tracks to be labeled a train anymore, and the SPCA is looking into all the mangled equine carcasses laying about......