Unavailable Caches

PILTY

Can anybody tell me how unavailable caches COULD be automatically removed fairly?

Answer:- YES but, not without a lot of time, effort and probably money!

Solution:- Use the system that is already in place. It isn't perfect but, it works!

If the system is slow then please remember that the reviewers are busy volunteers with a difficult task. Owners may have vanished and may not bother to reply to mail. Again, be patient, the system isn't perfect and neither is the world.

Edited by PILTY

You've been told THEY CAN'T be effectively automated.

You've been told there is no reason they need to be.

You've been shown your problem is less then a pimple on the @ss of geocaching.

I'll also offer the friendly suggestion (just my opinion, mind you) that the course you are following is leading to a vacation from the forums that won't be self-imposed.

I'll also offer the friendly suggestion (just my opinion, mind you) that the course you are following is leading to a vacation from the forums that won't be self-imposed.

An enforced vacation? For asking a question? Wouldn't YOU be more likely to get an enforced vacation for using profanity?

An enforced vacation? For asking a question?

You've asked the same "question" at least 4 times now. Each time you didn't get the answer you wanted to hear, so you pretend it wasn't answered, and asked again. That doesn't change the answer. I would suspect that would get pretty tiring to the moderators of this forum, one of whom happens to OWN this website. Pissing off the very people who allow you to use this website usually isn't the best course of action.

Wouldn't YOU be more likely to get an enforced vacation for using profanity?

Sure, if I used it.

@ss

\@ss\, n. [OE. asse, AS. assa; akin to Icel. asni, W. asen, asyn, L. asinus, dim. aselus, Gr. ?; also to AS. esol, OHG. esil, G. esel, Goth. asilus, Dan. [ae]sel, Lith. asilas, Bohem. osel, Pol. osiel. The word is prob. of Semitic origin; cf. Heb. ath?n she @ss. Cf. Ease.] 1. (Zo["o]l.) A quadruped of the genus Equus (E. asinus), smaller than the horse, and having a peculiarly harsh bray and long ears. The tame or domestic @ss is patient, slow, and sure-footed, and has become the type of obstinacy and stupidity. There are several species of wild asses which are swift-footed.

2. A dull, heavy, stupid fellow; a dolt. --Shak.

Edited by Mopar

Mopar, if you are not willing to answer the question that I asked please do not post to this forum. I am sure that the moderators do not want to waste their time reading what you think of the topic! I would also appreciate it if you would not use terms such as "pissing off" on my post!

Mopar, if you are not willing to answer the question that I asked please do not post to this forum. I am sure that the moderators do not want to waste their time reading what you think of the topic! I would also appreciate it if you would not use terms such as "pissing off" on my post!

Myself, and a bunch of other people have already answered your question in you other thread. How many more times are you going to keep pretending those answers don't exist?

Tell you what, I'll stop posting in "your thread" when you start living up to your promises:

Like me or loathe me, I have tried to help the sport for the last time. I shall do what I wish I had done in the first place and not post to the forum.

I don't see the word promise there just as I don't see suggestions for solutions! Like I said I am only asking for suggestions as to how we COULD do it. Perhaps you should read your dictionary again, as you seem so good at quoting and, look up the word COULD. It is, and this is only my opinion that, you didn't read the question before you started "bashing" me! If people want to answer that question then please let them. If you wish to have a personal pop at me then please E-mail me. Give the other forum users and the already overworked moderators a break HUH!

Give it up. I have gone back and read ALL the posts in the now 4 threads.

Pilty - It ain't gonna happen. Drop it. You have started the SAME thread 4 times because the moderators thought it best to CLOSE THE OTHERS. You have been given the answer.

Mopar - Help us out here and don't keep at him. Let the moderators deal with it.

My first thread on a similar topic which was incorrectly titled anyway was forcibly closed by the moderators! I closed the others myself because they wre pointed out to be incorrect by mopar. This one is simply a question that I would like to hear replies to. mopar seems to dislike me and is sticking to his guns. I however would just enjoy hearing from other cachers that have suggestions on how the sport can be improved!

Can anybody tell me how unavailable caches COULD be automatically removed fairly?

I think I did show a good alternative automated system in that other thread, which may still have some bugs, but with rules and more thought, whether it be any system (current, automated or other), things need to be worked out, and it is unfortunate that people weren't willing to work together to build on an idea, but instead right away say, "nope, won't work". I know full well that it probably won't get implemented, since it sounds like gc.com staff have other things that are a priority and that they want to work on, and I am fine with that.

Thank you Mopar and Keystone for posting a link to the guidelines, and as it stated the feature is intended for a short reasonable period of time of about 3 weeks as it says. I know that no one is enforcing it strictly, and that is fine, as I do think there should be leaniancy. What I don't like in the forums is the constant bickering among users, or putting other users down. I wish people would be more encouraging or constructive. I know many times I have thought of things to post, but usually just keep quiet, because I don't want a million people (or just perhaps 5 or 6 as in the other thread...small minority) justing down my back for something I said, just because they have a different opinion...which we all do.

Also, it didn't jump out at me at first, but what I think this topic in this new thread is now, "How could we make an automated system work"...not "It won't work, so lets drop the subject and sweep it under the rug". So I think that for this to stay on topic, it should be for those wishing to discuss this idea without negativity, not for those saying that it won't work...they said that in the other thread that was closed. Or since this thread seemed to start the wrong way, start a new one and a summary of details of what has been proposed so far for such a system. I know it probably won't get implemented, but I don't think that we are asking for that, but perhaps some lightbulb will go on in someone's head and some good thing will come from it somewhere else on the site. Fair enough!

Well, that's all I got to say on this matter to this problem, until the next idea comes along from someone which I think is good and worth discussing.

Edited by res2100
Pilty - It ain't gonna happen. Drop it.

See above. The automatic removal is not going to happen dueto the huge variable of reasons for disabling. That was repeated over and over again. If you have a problem, take it up with the local approver. If that does not seem enough, take the cache over yourself (after contacting the placer.) Lastly, mark it as "Should Be archived." Other than that, there is nothing else to be done.

Why do those answers NOT satisfy you?

THOSE answers DO satisfy me but, why the hell will you not let people put other ideas forward. We can all sit here and bicker the odds! I want to see posts from people that are suggesting what CAN be done and not ones that say nothing can be done. Man can only fly thousands of miles because some body said, "I think I can do this!". If people want to sit on their proverbials and do nothing then let them. If people want to suggest ways to improve the sport then LET THEM! You never know, somebody MAY come up with a way that is easy, cheap and works fantastically but, if you don't give them the chance, how will you know?

Maybe because I have less "finds" on my list than other cachers people may think that my opinion is worthless!

A couple of facts though :-

I am the most active cacher in the entire state of Oklahoma.

I had over 100 finds in my first month.

Yes I may be new but so are many others. If you simply tell newcomers that their ideas are useless they will soon stop giving them. I attended the last meeting of the Oklahoma geocachers and was SKED for ideas and opinions. If all you want to do is shoot them down then why ask in the first place?

I think the real answer to your question is not that there IS a solution to your problem, but that the gains offered by your proposed solution aren't worth the cost, effort and frustration to both TPTB and the moderators. Sometimes it's wisest just to let the question go and return to the sport that we all love. Continuing with this subject is getting VERY old very fast (I, too, have read all of the posts on this topic) and honestly, I think that there are other issues that could benefit more from TPTB's efforts than this one.

Edited to add: I agree with CrimsonWrath. It's a bad idea to automatically archive caches.

Edited again to add: The sport could be improved by dropping topics that aren't making progress and working on other topics that truly will benefit the sport.

Edited by calvinrtvp

Also, it didn't jump out at me at first, but what I think this topic in this new thread is now, "How could we make an automated system work"...not "It won't work, so lets drop the subject and sweep it under the rug". So I think that for this to stay on topic, it should be for those wishing to discuss this idea without negativity, not for those saying that it won't work...they said that in the other thread that was closed. Or since this thread seemed to start the wrong way, start a new one and a summary of details of what has been proposed so far for such a system. I know it probably won't get implemented, but I don't think that we are asking for that, but perhaps some lightbulb will go on in someone's head and some good thing will come from it somewhere else on the site. Fair enough!

Sorry. I'm not used to the quote system yet. Seems to me that I just got another 10% warning for trying to ask a question! Be careful if you don't conform!

Edited by PILTY

Sorry. I'm not used to the quote system yet. Seems to me that I just got another 10% warning for trying to ask a question! Be careful if you don't conform!

REALLY? Please share what your (another?) warnings said. I find it very hard to believe you just got multiple warnings for just asking a question.

I doubt that is the reason for the warning. It is probably because of the spamming of the same topic over and over. Did you do a search to see if this topic had been discussed before now?

You are a single person who is blowing a SMALL problem out of proportion. Disabled caches are not a huge issue. The simplest answer is NOT TO HUNT FOR THEM!

BTW: Have you ever programmed a massive database driven website? Large changes like you are suggesting take a lot of hours and coding to complete. And that is based on the changes being both possible and beneficial to the entire system. Some changes offer more problems than solutions once implemented.

Now, have your last word and then close the topic so no one can respond anymore. But do not forget to open a new one with the same subject line so we can start this all over again.

First of all it isn't a valid issue as they aren't going to automaticly achive caches so you're worrying about nothing.

I'll give you a tiny bit of advice about conformation. You getting warnings isn't about conforming, it's about getting pissy over nothing. Let it go, not a big deal here. Enjoy.

I received one for a statement along the lines that I think you are a bloody fool mopar that likes to "bash" ideas without first giving them thought and team up with moderators to force your opinions and, I'm have no idea of how or why I was given another 10% warning!

Hope that helps!

I also retract any derogatory statement I made about you in the hope that people will realise what kind of person you are by themselves. Now as I said earlier if you have no constructive comments to make please leave me and my post alone. I'm sure that you have far better things to do with your time than "newbie bashing"!

Wonder if I'll get another warning for answering you question as honestly and fully as I am able or whether I will just get banned altogether because I asked the wrong question and stood by that question?

I received one for a statement along the lines that I think you are a bloody fool mopar that likes to "bash" ideas without first giving them thought and team up with moderators to force your opinions and, I'm have no idea of how or why I was given another 10% warning!

Hope that helps!

I also retract any derogatory statement I made about you in the hope that people will realise what kind of person you are by themselves. Now as I said earlier if you have no constructive comments to make please leave me and my post alone. I'm sure that you have far better things to do with your time than "newbie bashing"!

Wonder if I'll get another warning for answering you question as honestly and fully as I am able or whether I will just get banned altogether because I asked the wrong question and stood by that question?

Click on the 20% number on your warn meter and you will see copies of the information sent to you regarding both warnings. You are always notified of the reason of your warning via e-mail or PM on the system. You might want to check your PM's

Play nice, its a big sandbox

Hope that helps!

Click on the percent link next to your warning indicator. At the rate you're going, it probably looks like this:

Warn: (80%) warn0.gif

Then tell us what it says.

As "the most active geocacher in Oklahoma"who finds caches at a rate of "over 100 finds a month" I didn't know you were (or qualified as) a newbie.

I think myself and everyone else has been pretty darn polite about answering your repeated questions, and trying to guide you in forum etiquette. My offer still stands, you live up to your promise not to post in the forums anymore, and I can guarantee none of us reply to your posts.

... Now as I said earlier if you have no constructive comments to make please leave me and my post alone.  I'm sure that you have far better things to do with your time than "newbie bashing"!

Were you interested in only comments that meets with your approval or did you truly want to hear other cachers opinons?

Please do not perceive any of this or other threads as newbie bashing. That is truly unfair to all of us. You are not being bashed because you are new. Your idea is being bashed because it is bad. I certainly have had a few of them in my short tenure as well.

Suck it up, close the thread, move on. Save what dignity you have left and hope first opinions melt away.

Welcome.

I would most definately dispute that I spammed the site with the same question. People objected to my posts(mopar) so I removed them. So I get a warning for trying to take the advice of a more experienced poster? Wow, damned if I do and Damned if I don't. Sounds like the freemasons or really cool dictatorship to me.

Well if a moderator would like to close THIS topic so be it. There is no way in hell that I am going to close it.

I do however have another topic for discussion!

I thought of an automated system that would work regarding unavailable caches!

Extra points for bringing them up to par. A Kudo Point (KP) to each person that fixes a cache that has been in put into Temporarily Unavailable for maintenance issues. Would fix the vacation cache problem, the drive-dump-and-forget problem, AWOL owners, and a whole host of other problems. All we need is TPTB to program it in! Then we can compare each other to see who has the most KPs.

<removes tongue from cheek>

In a way we already have that, just not in an official capacity.

[EDIT: fixed something]

Edited by CoyoteRed

If people form opinions of me due to a forum then they are very shallow and can keep them I'm not looking for friends, I am looking to make a pastime that I love better for all. As for mopar being so "darn polite", why are you still posting when I asked you not to? I would call that "darn impolite". Why should I close the post when I am only asking for other peoples suggestions? The only opinions that I am interested in hearing are ideas on how the system COULD be changed for the better. I don't give a monkeys curse whether the sytem actually gets changed or not! If people don't want change then, fine. I will go with the flow but, let people say what they like to me. I am interested in others opinions. It has been said that the current system will not be changed! So let the people that think it COULD thrash it out. Who will it hurt?

Jumpin' Jesus! I was just showen a link to this thread and I'm not about to spend part of my life going and reading your old threads. All I know is it sounds like if you took the time you've spent arguing that gc.com should jump though what ever hoop you give then, you could have posted "SBA" posts on every unavailable cache in the US. You guys can argue if they need to auto-archive anything (which I don't think they should), but if you ask them to take time away from trying to add features MOST people will use and make the site faster on the weekends, I'll stick a wet finger in your ear!

I have just looked at your recent posts Pilthy. You are obviously posting angry. Is that judging you by your posts? It's the only way I know you. I'm sure you're a great guy but my advice is to chill. Take a couple of days off and go find a few more caches. Then come back with a smile on your face.

I think if you continue posting angry you'll eventually find yourself unable to post.

what about the wishes for you to drop this whole thing? Come on, this is going way too long and NOTHING is getting acomplished except people getting angry at each other.

You are the only one showing anger, and it has been said by more than one. Heck, this thread is so far off topic it should find itself in the ARCHIVED section.

It seems you just want to have the last word. So take it.

Edited by Deckyon

If people want to get angry that is not my fault. Am I allowed to ask a question or not? Some people WANT to reply to my post with positive comments. Are you saying that they are not allowed to? Can we not discuss theoretical situations and solutions?

It appears that you're missing the main points here. First of all caches aren't going to be archived just because they are inactive, that's been decided so you might as well move on.

The other main point I think you need to recognize is that you are the only angry poster here. My concern at this point isn't the caches and how they do or don't get archived, it is your angry. I've looked over the past dozen or so of your posts and I can assure you if you keep it up you'll be MIA soon, it's coming.

I'd take a timeout if I were you.

OH and YES it is your fault if you make people angry, people get angry because of how we behave. Not because they just want to be angry.

There is no need to threaten me with a war term such as MIA! What reason would I have for being angry? Surely people are only having their say! As for this post, some people have missed the point in the fact that I asked a perfectly reasonable question! I know that nothing will change but I would like to hear suggestions from people that think there is a better way. If people want to bash those ideas then so be it. It is of no consequence! Let people bash or contribute as they like nothing will change but, somebody, may come up with some interesting comments that I "the asker of the question" may like to hear. I have seen some good ideas discussed by some obviously intelligent people. Does Jeremy Irish have mail on his desk asking for him to change a complicated system? The answer is no! I and a couple of others would like to discuss theoretical improvements. Do you see any harm in that?

Does Jeremy Irish have mail on his desk asking for him to change a complicated system?  The answer is no!

Actually, yes he does. This forum is "Jeremy Irish's inbox of geocaching.com suggestions". You've got about 75 emails in that inbox asking him to find a way to fix a problem that doesn't exist. According to you, you've aready been warned by the people that have such power that you are not allowed to post your ideas (I still find that hard to believe, and you haven't posted what the warnings REALLY were for), yet you continue to do so anyway.

Nobody has threatened you, as you contend. The only thing I've seen here are people suggesting you step away from your keyboard for a bit, calm down, and wait until Jeremy Irish sit's down to read those 75 posts in his "inbox". The people suggesting it to you know very well of what they speak. You should listen.

Edited by Mopar

Thank you for the advice ralann. I do appreciate it. I would just like to hear other peoples up to date comments is all. I'm not asking for it to be changed anymore as that is pointless. I just want to hear what other people think today! I don't WANT anything else. Thank you for your concern and, happy caching

Thank you for the advice ralann. I do appreciate it. I would just like to hear other peoples up to date comments is all. I'm not asking for it to be changed anymore as that is pointless. I just want to hear what other people think today! I don't WANT anything else. Thank you for your concern and, happy caching

Compared to what they thought 2 weeks ago in that thread?

Pilty: how do you feel about laser pointers? Just wonderin'.

I have gone back and read some of the replies from all and I don't see where anyone has the right opinion that Pilty is speaking angry but stating his opinion and asking others theirs. I do how ever see where he is being threatened with MIA. No one can make us angry unless we let them so if you don't like what he says when don't read his posting. You have that choice. I fully agree with him about this issue. I think that the owners should be made to be held accountable for the caches. But from what I am seeing they not. Why should we have to muddle thru the non-activite ones to get thru to the good ones when they can be archived for the time until they are re-activated.

I have gone back and read some of the replies from all and I don't see where anyone has the right opinion that Pilty is speaking angry but stating his opinion and asking others theirs. I do how ever see where he is being threatened with MIA. No one can make us angry unless we let them so if you don't like what he says when don't read his posting. You have that choice. I fully agree with him about this issue. I think that the owners should be made to be held accountable for the caches. But from what I am seeing they not. Why should we have to muddle thru the non-activite ones to get thru to the good ones when they can be archived for the time until they are re-activated.

I'm glad you created an account today to tell us that. :huh:

Edited by Stunod

HAHAHA! PILTY logs off, and then a brand new account joins. Wonder when Jeremy looks at Ladybugg's IP if it's going to look like Pilty's? I hope not because if "they" read the forum guidelines they'll see that's an offense that can get you banned from the forums.

Edited by Mopar

However enjoyable it would be to never see a cache unavailable for more than a few days, automated archival, particularly on the short-term schedule it has been proposed, will create more manual work for the few, errors, and bad feeling than someone who is truly annoyed with a bum cache making the effort to either restore it or requesting it be archived. There are simply too many different reasons for a cache to get in this condition and too many reasons why a reasonably responsible cache owner might be unable to check on, repair, post notes to, or respond to e-mail from a particular cache for more than a few weeks. In lieu of a detailed description of all such scenarios I can imagine, please accept my vote that AUTOMATED archiving remain unused on this site and cease and desist in posting multiple threads on the subject over a few hours or days, regardless of who closes one of them. For a clearer picture of my impressions, which have moved beyond a simple, "I don't really think this is a good idea, wow, what a lot of ways I can think of that it could go wrong!" to simple annoyance, please see the below:

Techniques for dealing with responsiveness of deceased equines

deadhors.jpg

dead_horse.jpg

175341.1020.A.jpg

576447.jpg

deadhorse.gif

8020f_Dead_Horse_Pass_3.jpg

c062679.jpg

dead-horse-point-sign-62.3.jpg

If you study the time I was off and signed back on again you will see that I would not have had time to create a new account! Help yourself Jeremy! Thank you ladybug for your comments. Don't be put off by mopars rude behaviour! I believe he is phobic about newcomers. For the record on laserpointers, whatever that has to do with it, I think that they are a wonderful invention and, if used correctly are very useful, unlike your silly comments mopar!

Nice photos T-storm, thank you.

If you study the time I was off and signed back on again you will see that I would not have had time to create a new account! Help yourself Jeremy! Thank you ladybug for your comments. Don't be put off by mopars rude behaviour! I believe he is phobic about newcomers. For the record on laserpointers, whatever that has to do with it, I think that they are a wonderful invention and, if used correctly are very useful, unlike your silly comments mopar!

Nice photos T-storm, thank you.

OK, I'll play one last time, what the heck.

Pilty, did you ever see this feature of the forums?

e2e6bb72-239d-47d2-b49f-685a824c3c75.jpg

So yeah, I guess it's POSSIBLE that you signed off, Ladybugg (a new user created today) signed on, went STRAIGHT to this thread without reading anything else, posted her support for you without even taking the time to read the thread, and then logged back off. Then you HAPPENED to log back in.

Possible. Sure. Probable? Gimme a break. You lost any credibility you had once you went the sock puppet route. Time to shut the computer off.