New Geocaching On-line Magazine

El Diablo

Thanks for all the responses! The Today's Cacher team has worked hard over the last few months to bring this together. Your feed back is important to us. I can tell you we are very proud of our accomplishments and walking on air right now reading your reactions.

It's been a very long road for us, and we have been looking forward to this day for a long time. Your responses make all that work worth while. Thanks again!

El Diablo

Hi Diablo,

I use a mac, and the page layout is all askew when I view the page. Aside from the top bar and menu, the remainder of the content displays in a tiny (appx. 1-2") column down the page. Each individual word of a story is on a different line.

Not sure what method of construction your pages use (layers?), but thought you'd like to know how they look on the "other platform". :-)

Viewing via IE 5.1 for mac,

Cheers!

the mac-using half of Team HomestarRunner

Hi Diablo,

I use a mac, and the page layout is all askew when I view the page. Aside from the top bar and menu, the remainder of the content displays in a tiny (appx. 1-2") column down the page. Each individual word of a story is on a different line.

Not sure what method of construction your pages use (layers?), but thought you'd like to know how they look on the "other platform". :-)

Viewing via IE 5.1 for mac,

Cheers!

the mac-using half of Team HomestarRunner

There is an issue with MAC users who also use IE. I am actually one of those and I'm an editor! Ay! Anyway, it is being worked on. Try using another browser. Mozilla, Safari, or Netscape. Unfortunately microsoft has not updated IE for MAC very well. Regardless, hopefully it will get fixed!

Great idea and well done. Can I assume we will be notified when the new additions come out? Also, will the old editions be available as an archive. I particularly like Geocaching 101 and may want to get back to it in the future for a reporter or a workshop.

The new issues will published on the 1st of each month. We published this one to early to coinside with Geocaching's weekly email.

As far as the archive goes...I believe you will have access to previous issues, but I'll have to check with the team webmasters to be sure.

We are also working on making a pdf file and a printable version. Give us a little time to work out all of your suggestions.

El Diablo

I had heard a while ago that some people here were interested in creating a geocaching e-zine. I just read the Geocaching.com Weekly update and it had the link (www.todayscacher.com).

I have to say, you guys did a wonderful job! Criminal had me in tears! :ph34r: I haven't had the opportunity to read the whole 'zine (I am at work, after all) but it is really rather impressive.

I just wanted to drop a note to Geocaching.com to say "Thank you" for including that in your Weekly update email, and another "Thank You" to El Diablo, CarleenP, Ciminal and I don't know who all else for putting in the time and effort to provide such a service.

"THANKS!"

:ph34r:

(edited to add real URL)

Edited by New England n00b
The story of Hydees joining the Groundspeak crew is truly enlightening, but it left me with one nagging question: Does she still pee on Jeremy ? :)

No longer necessary. In her position at Groundspeak, if Hydee wants Jeremy to feel like he's been peed on, she just sends him a link to some of the forum threads.

The PDF version of the issue is now up for downloading. I posted a quick version yesterday, but this version posted ~13:00 (1PM) PST 3/4/04 is more printer friendly (I condensed the pages that only had 5 words on them) and it has all the articles listed in order.

Acrobat just grabs the entire website and puts it in a PDF file--I had to go back and tweak it so it looks nice, and won't waste paper.

It's a little on the large size at 2.6Meg and 54 pages.

Enjoy the read!

Sean--Webmaster for Today's Cacher

The PDF version of the issue is now up for downloading.  I posted a quick version yesterday, but this version posted ~13:00 (1PM) PST 3/4/04 is more printer friendly (I condensed the pages that only had 5 words on them) and it has all the articles listed in order. 

Acrobat just grabs the entire website and puts it in a PDF file--I had to go back and tweak it so it looks nice, and won't waste paper.

It's a little on the large size at 2.6Meg and 54 pages.

Enjoy the read!

Sean--Webmaster for Today's Cacher

Thanks for the PDF version!

I'm lucky enough to have access to a laser printer with duplexing and this makes it much easier for me to enjoy the magazine at my leisure and makes it alot easier to glance through and get to the stuff I want to read. :-)

Edited by Eric K

Sean,

Have you tried HTTrack instead of Acrobat?

It also captures the entire site, but no tweaking is necessary. It pulls the site into a nice little folder for offline viewing. Unzipped it is the same 2.5 MB size, but zipped it's only about 1.75MB.

I tried Acrobat 6.0 Pro on the mag, but I much prefer the results from HTTrack (which is free) since it retains all of the original page sizes, etc. and you only need your browser to view it.

Give it a shot.

geospotter

Sean,

Have you tried HTTrack instead of Acrobat?

It also captures the entire site, but no tweaking is necessary. It pulls the site into a nice little folder for offline viewing. Unzipped it is the same 2.5 MB size, but zipped it's only about 1.75MB.

I tried Acrobat 6.0 Pro on the mag, but I much prefer the results from HTTrack (which is free) since it retains all of the original page sizes, etc. and you only need your browser to view it.

Give it a shot.

geospotter

Acrobat 6.0 pro is what I'm using now.

Does HTTrack require any downloading for each individual user?

I figure most people already have Acrobat Reader, and I don't want to require them to download something else.

No software downloads necessary for the end-user.

You, Sean, would download the HTTrack software, tell it the URL of the site you want to download, and it re-creates it in a folder on your local drive.

Users would then download that file instead of the PDF. The PDF works fine, but tries to fit everything to "letter" size.

The downside of HTTrack is that it is not printed. You'd browse your copy just like browsing the site. Much faster than dial-up, but ultimately you still have to be at your computer. At least with the PDF you can print a copy and take it with you.

Just a thought...

Thank You for all your hard work in the making of this e-zine.

It is obvious you put a lot of thought into making this come to life.

I loved the story about Signal and Hydee, the tie in at the end was hysterical !

I look forward to further issues and hope you get lots of inspiration from the members. There are alot of stories out there, yet to be told.

Thanks

woof n lulu