Magellan Map 330 and Waypoints

PCGeekz

I'm very new to geocaching. We have a Magellan Map 330, we've had it for quite awhile and used it for helping us while on vacations to find our way. Recently on our local TV newscast, I learned about geocaching. I'm very excited! My family and I want to try it and we were going to give it a try today until we actually set out to do it and didn't do a lot of research on how to use waypoints.

Anyone out there that has a Magellan map 330 that can help me... I was looking at a particular cache and I don't understand how to use the waypoints that are 6 characters long that use letters and numbers. How do I go about using them with a map 330? Is it possible to use them? If possible, can you give me step by step instructions and if not can you tell me how I do use what’s listed on the web pages that give the North and West numbers. I'm so lost

icon_smile.gificon_confused.gificon_frown.gif

Thanx!!

Well, I will give this a try (although on details like this I call on my 14 year old daughter - kids always find things like this a wiz). First you need to be using the same coordinate system as Geocache does. Go to menu (by pressing menu), pick setup (then pressing enter), pick coord system (then pressing enter), pick primary (then pressing enter) pick lat/lon (then pressing enter), pick deg/min.mmm (then pressing enter), and pressing nav will bring you back.

Now you are ready to enter waypoints by hand. Hold down GOTO button for 2 or 3 seconds and a new screen will show up. Use the up and down arrows to move to the areas you want to change and press enter on that area. Pressing up, down or enter depending on the window will allow you to change the letters, symbols and numbers in the area. Change them to match the cache you want to find (lat/long are listed on the cache page) and change the wpt000 to the GC0000 (with correct numbers to match the cache you want to find). This makes it easier to match when you have dozens of caches listed. Press save when you are done.

Now when you approach a cache the symbol will show up on the 330 map at its location. When we get to a parking area at a cache we press the goto (quickly), pick user, and then pick the cache we want from the list we have entered (you can enter hundreds) and the 330 will give you a straight line from that location to the cache.

Of course the easiest way would be to get a computer cable for the 330 and the free easyGPS program, which allows you to transfer all this in one or two steps. There is a "down load to easyGPS for ground speak" line on the cache page (about 6 line down) that will transfer all you need from the cache page to that program and them you can transfer it to the 330 from there.

I think that is enough for one attempt. Write if I missed something.

I used to have a GPS 315, but have upgraded to the Map 330 and I love it. I agree the best way is to use EASY GPS, you should have gotten a PC cable with it. Although it is a good idea to know how to manually enter coordinates also, which is required for some of the multicaches. It would be bad to not know how to do this, then find a cache that only has a piece of paper in it with coordinates to the real cache. Also be sure your GPS is in WGS84 Datum. Most caches are in that. I would also recommend getting TOPO for the Map330, which allows you to put detailed maps into the 330, not only does this make it fun, but can save you some time and distance around obstacles (sometimes the straightest route is not the best). I spent countless hours learning all the things to do with the map 330, easy gps, and my map software, and still have a lot to learn. Dedicate a day for playing around with this stuff on the PC, not only will learn more, but it shows you some more of the advanced "bells and whistles" of your high tech toy. I don't even use my GPS to it's fullest potentional, but I know it does more. You have to taylor it to your liking.

The best rule to survival is: "Become the Master of your environment". Know all there is to know, but remember the basics, lest we fail once completely dependent upon technology.

First you need to be using the same coordinate system as Geocache does. Go to menu (by pressing menu), pick setup (then pressing enter), pick coord system (then pressing enter), pick primary (then pressing enter) pick lat/lon (then pressing enter), pick deg/min.mmm (then pressing enter), and pressing nav will bring you back.

Now you are ready to enter waypoints. Hold down GOTO button for 2 or 3 seconds and a new screen will show up. Use the up and down arrows to move to the window you want to change and press enter on that window. Pressing up, down or enter depending on the window will allow you to change the letters, symbols and numbers in the windows. Change them to match the cache you want to find (lat/long are listed on the cache page) and change the wpt000 to the GC0000 (with correct numbers to match the cache you want to find). This makes it easier to match when you have dozens of caches listed. Press save when you are done.

Now when you approach a cache the symbol you picked will show up on the 330 map at its location. When we get to a parking area at a cache we press the goto (quickly), pick user, and then pick the cache from the list we have entered and the 330 will give you a straight line from that location to the cache.

Of course the easiest way would to get a computer cable and the free "easyGPS" program, which allows you to transfer all this in one or two steps. There is a "down load to easyGPS for ground speak" line on the cache page (about 6 line down) that will transfer all you need from the cache page to that program and them you can transfer it to the 330 from there.

Bernie & Sheri: Um... it's 2 posts above yours. icon_smile.gif

Shoebox: great explanation! icon_smile.gif

PCGeekz: did your question get answered? The other answer is that the GC3E4C or whatever ID is just an agreed-upon geocaching.com-issued ID number for the cache. There is only one GC3E4C, and it will always be that cache. However, you can put anything you want in the waypoint's ID field. I prefer to put a word from the cache name in there, since TEDDY (for Teddy's Treasure) means more to me than GC1234. icon_smile.gif

That's all there is to the waypoint ID... no magic. Totally separate from the waypoint coordinates.

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!

How do we upload our own little avatar???

I feel left out no cute pic for us,,,

Just starting out with this geo thingy. Were goin again this weekend (Weather Permitting)

we were rained out of our last hunt. Something about lightning and trees, Mind you it didnt bother me but the wife and niece were a little apprehensive. Wimps!

Since I haven't even held the GPS in my hand yet I don't know Jack S about them but I'd say if someone has one and is lost that is really a bad thing!!

I can't wait to try mine out but darn it, we have to go to a wedding this evening! If not we'd hit the road as there are a few caches within an hour of us.

Kathy in WV

quote:
Originally posted by PCGeekz:

I'm very new to geocaching. We have a Magellan Map 330, we've had it for quite awhile and used it for helping us while on vacations to find our way. Recently on our local TV newscast, I learned about geocaching. I'm very excited! My family and I want to try it and we were going to give it a try today until we actually set out to do it and didn't do a lot of research on how to use waypoints.

Anyone out there that has a Magellan map 330 that can help me... I was looking at a particular cache and I don't understand how to use the waypoints that are 6 characters long that use letters and numbers. How do I go about using them with a map 330? Is it possible to use them? If possible, can you give me step by step instructions and if not can you tell me how I do use what’s listed on the web pages that give the North and West numbers. I'm so lost

icon_smile.gificon_confused.gificon_frown.gif

Thanx!!

Kathy in WV

The easiest way is to download cache waypoints is EasyGPS from the Geocaching.com link. After installing EasyGPS, hook up PC to GPS with cable that came with your MAP 330x and it transfers to EasyGPS. From EasyGPS, download to GPS.

To enter MANUALLY:

Press and hold MARK/GOTO. Cursor up to NAME line and press ENTER. Type in the Numbers and Letters that ARE the cache description. Highlight OK and press enter.

Highlight LOCATION and press enter. Cursor up or down to change numbers. Press right arrow to go to next number. Press ENTER to go to Next line.

Press ENTER again.

Elevation is now highlighted. THIS IS OPTIONAL.

Change as you did LOCATION.

Enter will take you to Message. This also is optional. Input desired message. Highlight OK and

Press ENTER.

Highlight SAVE and press ENTER.

Waypoint is now stored in GPS Database under USER.

Sledgehampster@alltel.net and I will try to help further, if needed.

GOOD LUCK! and BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!