How Are They Doing It?!

tanders

Folks,

I'm curious. How is it that some people always seem to know the very second that a new cache has been placed in their area? I know that the Geocaching site sends out a weekly email on Thursdays but when I look at the pages for the caches, some have already been found days ago! Is there an even earlier warning system I could use? I'd love to cache a few FTF's but at this rate it might never happen! I guess my psychic abilities are just not up to snuff!

Thanks,

Tom A.

I set up a pocket query to give me the new caches in my area, and then set up the results as my home page on IE (My SBC/Yahoo Browser still has my regular home page). It is set to update on its own when the computer is idle.

I didn't know about skydiver. I just logged in and will give that a try too (don't see how to confirm with their email link when using a cellphone email address though).

Edited by workerofwood

I think that also some of the people who are new and worried about doing things right. Hide there caches and tell there fellow cachers and friends first about the cache to be sure they had no problems finding everything, before it is placed online here. I know this because I have been a part of this before.

I think that also some of the people who are new and worried about doing things right. Hide there caches and tell there fellow cachers and friends first about the cache to be sure they had no problems finding everything, before it is placed online here. I know this because I have been a part of this before.

:huh: We log it as a "beta test" find! This allows some who weren't in on it prior to being posted as gettting the FTF.

I signed up for the skydiver service mentioned in an earlier post today, and just just got a FTF because of it. I knew a local cacher was waiting for approval on a new cache, so I was watching my query page closely... I saw it go live, and got the message to my phone within 3 minutes. Now I'm not sure I'm going to WANT to know every cache that quickly, at least I'd better turn the phone off at night!

Edited by workerofwood

Run your "filter finds" search a few times a day. Do it now and see how many caches are within your 100 mile radius. Remember that number and the next time you run it, if it's increased by 1 there's a new cache, of course, it might be too far away, but you can go through the list and find it.

This isn't foolproof. If someone archives one and a new one pops up, the number will be the same. If you check the list a few times a day (I check it a lot) the chances of that is probably pretty slim.

Good luck on that First FTF! Around here it's an honor actually, there's several first finders in the area.

If you go to the search page and select you state, it will show the most recent hides. I check this each day before leaving work. That way I can print off the page and manually enter the coordinates into the GPS.

The one that amazes me is when I had a cache approved and literally 10 minutes later it's logged as found.

F_M