Female Cachers

OK, anyone who reads the forums can figure out that the majority (not all, but a majority) of cachers are male, and that sometimes the testosterone level in the forums can run pretty high. There is even a cache log that says, "Don't bring your wife or girlfriend on this cache," although it doesn't say why not (I did it and it was tough, but not that tough).

In the interest of "diversity"...

So, "ladies," what kind of cacher are you?

Are you:

A solo cacher?

A family cacher?

Part of a "caching couple?"

A social/group cacher?

Why did you start caching?:

Boredom

Needed the exercise

Love the outdoors

Wanted to do something with my husband/boyfriend/partner/family

Are you as into the "numbers" as some of the guys?

As for me, I started when I found the link to the site and found that there were a lot of caches in my neighborhood. Did the first few w/o GPS, and have been hooked ever since. My friends were not interested, no husband/boyfriend/kids, so I was a strictly solo-woman cacher for a while.

Since the insanity began (in August) I have found 157 caches, hid 8, adopted 1, lost 17 pounds, and made several friends. While I still consider myself solo for the most part, I have met other cachers that I now regularly hunt with, which is great because I have gone places I wouldn't have gone alone. I am moderately into my "numbers," and have even set number goals (want to hit 500 by the end of 2004). I have been known to get up early for a FTF.

I love this sport!

Women, care to share?

Are you:

A solo cacher?

A family cacher?

A social/group cacher?

Boredom

Needed the exercise

Love the outdoors

I am usually a solo cacher, but sometimes a group cacher.

I started because I like to be outside, so when I read a news article about it, I knew I would like it.

I don't know that guys are more into the numbers than women. I like the stats but I don't feel competetive about them. I think that is how is is for a majority of people.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that the stats thing is just a guy thing! It seems to be for some guys, so I was just curious if that held true for many women. I am sort of a stat person myself, but not to the extent that I cache for that reason alone - and if a cache just doesn't strike my fancy (in a nasty location, a puzzle cache with a theme that I just don't care about, etc), I will skip it - stat or no stat.

A solo cacher? Sometimes if I can get away from the kids

A family cacher? I often bring my 6 year old with me.

Part of a "caching couple?" Never, nope, hubby has ZERO interest in caching

A social/group cacher? no

Boredom

Needed the exercise

Love the outdoors

Wanted to do something with my family

ALL OF THE ABOVE

Are you as into the "numbers" as some of the guys? Not really.

Nickie

South Fl

Solo cacher plus best dog pal

Tried to make it a group activity, but my friends feared they would encounter strange men lurking in the forest. Even though I always return with body parts intact, they still would rather not.

Why did I start ?

Because I may encounter strange men lurking in the forest, of course ! :unsure:

Because it's just a fun addition to the places I go to hike/walk/bike anyway, plus a great way to find new places to enjoy.

Hold the stats, thanks.

I'm part of a newbie caching couple. Earlier this month we were in Arizona and my parents took us on a hike. Much to our surprise, we enjoyed the hike and figured it was something we could enjoy doing when we got back home to New Hampshire. On the plane on the way home there was a guy with some sort of altimeter/compass gadget (not a GPS) and it triggered my memory that a friend had recommended geocaching to me about a year ago. I came back to work (at the geekiest, coolest engineering company ever) and asked for recommendations on GPSes... got lots of responses (including some from caching coworkers) then went out and bought one.

We found our first two caches this past weekend and are totally hooked! We figured that caching would be the ultimate remedy to boredom and couch potato-ism, and would be even better once spring comes along. We're always looking for fun diversions and are also big-time bargainers when it comes to the balance of exercise and eating (if we move more, we can cook more yummy food!)

At this point, we don't have enviable numbers, but you can bet that we're both interested in them.

C'mon springtime.... hurry up! Our ability to find caches and benchmarks will improve when the ground isn't covered in snow!

:unsure:

Nancy

I started caching because I heard about it and though 'Well, that sounds interesting, I'll look into it.' Then, it went beyond 'looking into it' and I'm only 3 caches away from my 50th find. I cache with my family, but I am the main cacher, who organizes, navigates, signs logs, and has a name here. Everyone else just enjoys the walk. I like stats in that I'm proud of my number of finds, but I'm not competitive with anyone else.

OK, anyone who reads the forums can figure out that the majority (not all, but a majority) of cachers are male, and that sometimes the testosterone level in the forums can run pretty high. There is even a cache log that says, "Don't bring your wife or girlfriend on this cache," although it doesn't say why not (I did it and it was tough, but not that tough).

Are you:

A solo cacher?

A family cacher?

A social/group cacher?

Boredom

Needed the exercise

Love the outdoors

As for me, I started when I found the link to the site and found that there were a lot of caches in my neighborhood. Did the first few w/o GPS, and have been hooked ever since. My friends were not interested, no husband/boyfriend/kids, so I was a strictly solo-woman cacher for a while.

Since the insanity began (in August) I have found 157 caches, hid 8, adopted 1, lost 17 pounds, and made several friends. While I still consider myself solo for the most part, I have met other cachers that I now regularly hunt with, which is great because I have gone places I wouldn't have gone alone. I am moderately into my "numbers," and have even set number goals (want to hit 500 by the end of 2004). I have been known to get up early for a FTF.

I love this sport!

Women, care to share?

Female Cacher here!

I am mostly a solo cacher, but have gone with other, more experienced cachers (I'm still new at this) and with some friends. But mostly it's just me and possibly a dog.

I did this because....hmmmm....it just sounded cool. I like to be outdoors. I like to hike. I needed more exercise. I can take my dogs with me most of the time. I'm sort of a techno-geek. I guess for lots of reasons.

I had heard about this activity from a fellow greyhound owner over a year ago. It took me a while to actually look it up though.

The whole idea of finding something that someone has hidden was just a neat concept.

Numbers don't mean much to me -- I at about 30 finds right now. I am excited to reach 100 finds though. After that, maybe 1000 would be a good milestone.

But I am highly competitive, so I'm anxious to be FTF someday. I do get up early to go to new caches, but as yet, my experience there. Soon though! I was trying really hard to be FTF on one this past Saturday, got to the first waypoint by 7:30am, but got stuck on waypoint 2. I had to go to work, so I had to leave and was not FTF. Oh well.

I'm having a great time! I've met a number of local cachers and have been getting to see places I've never known existed.

Bec

I (male, and handsome I should add cause all the female posters are going to looking at this thread) started caching just a few months ago. About a month after that, my girlfriend started doing it with me (it kind of coincided with us reconciling after a fight).

She likes caching for what it is, not just a "together" thing. We do cache together and have fun together with it, but she has gone on searches on her own, as I have. Her only problem with caching is the same as mine - time.

Part of a "caching couple?" Never, nope, hubby has ZERO interest in caching

Nickie-

Here's a sure-fire way to get your husband to go caching with you...

Go someplace like Home Depot and pick up a DeWalt Chop Saw or maybe a plasma screen TV from Circuit City. Bring it home and say, "Look what I found in a cache I found today..."

He'll go with you on all your cache hunts from now on. When he finds a cache with you and it's only filled with golf-balls and McToys, just say, "Bummer. This cache wasn't as cool as the one I found the chop saw in. Maybe the next one will have something cool in it..."

After a few caches of nothing and he fizzles out, just go find something else to entice him. Like maybe come home with $500.00 in cache you withdrew from the bank and tell him you found it in a cache... He'll start caching with you again.

Sure, it might cost you a bit up front, but the benefit of having your husband go caching with you is priceless...

:unsure:

Another female cacher here. Most of the time my husband and son will go with me, but I have went on my own (Well, not quite. Took a dog.) when a football game was on that couldn't be missed.

I am the most active, I could keep going and going but after about three finds my husband is ready to call it a day. We got into caching as something we can do together; we are going to be DINK's in the next year so it's going to be a lifestyle adjustment for us.

I love the outdoors and needed the exercise, so it was a natural fit. It combines my love of the outdoors, hiking and photography nicely. We will be taking the boat out soon; I'm looking forward to geocaching in-between fishing. I don't care about the tech. part of it, except I want to know if we are close so I can start looking.

Stats....I like looking at others. They are cool to track, but not for comparison reasons.

The first time I heard about caching in a newspaper article last Aug, I knew it was for me. I've always hiked the state parks, and love the concept of hidden boxes everywhere that hardly anyone knows exists.

Up until a few weeks ago, I was a solo cacher, but I met a new friend though caching, ( another woman) and we cache together now. She looked up my profile on a new cache I had placed and saw that I was interested in finding someone to cache with, so she contacted me through gc.com, and we go out once a week together. I still solo when she's not available, but I must say, the hunts are a gas with her along. She's a hoot.

I wouldn't mind having another person or five join us. The more the merrier.

As to stats, Sure, I like seeing my finds climb. (about 85 now). I enjoy placing caches, but don't want too many, as I have seen what happens to the caches when people place dozens of them and can't maintain that many.

Tho I enjoy the forums, I can't see ever caring about joining the ranks of the mega posters. I like to talk, but sheesh. Don't think I could ever have that much to say!

I love caching!

Female solo cacher here. Started mainly because I am a 'gadget freak'. Also, from the time I was about 7 or 8 years old, I've been fascinated by latitude/longitude 'place on earth' sort of stuff. I've been looking for benchmarks all my life (although now as an adult I have nowhere near enough free time).

I also enjoy the outdoors and hiking, although my hiking is limited here in my hometown (I worked in Sacramento for a couple of years and loved the hiking around there - but that was several years ago).

I also really like the 'hunt' part of the game. When I found a cache near Disney World, I was thinking that wow, it's so neat that someone could hide a rubbermaid container 700 or so miles away from my home (I guess), post coordinates to it on a website, and using a GPS, I could find it!

I'm not into the numbers game at all - and sometimes I have quite a bit of trouble with the discussions here about people faking finds and such - my mind keeps thinking - get a grip! :unsure:

Anyway - I wish I had time to cache more - although sometimes I get a bit nervous going it alone. But so far, most of my friends just think I'm crazy!

I used to be a solo cacher until I met Mopar. I enjoy having him as a caching partner. I take my son out on occasion, but most of the time I might as well ask him to chop off a finger than go caching. Other than that I wouldn't call myself a 'social' cacher. So, I guess I'm part of a caching couple team that sometimes drags her kid out kicking and screaming.

An ex-boyfriend got me started caching, but we didn't cache much together. I found it a great source of excersize and owe a debt of weight loss gratitude to Geocaching. AND, I am totally an outdoorsy kinda gal.

Am I into the numbers? Yes and no . . . I like to see my numbers increase. But, I'm not in competition with anyone other than myself. I don't see the need to plan cache marathons to boost my numbers. I cache at my own pace and enjoy myself.

Happy caching and stuff! :unsure:

I'm a solo cacher mainly but sometimes have been know to go caching with others or I bring my dog. I am very selective at times who I cache with because some of the other male cachers don't take me seriously.

I started geocaching after hearing about it from a coworker. He took me on my first cache (even though we did not find it) and I went out the next day and bought my GPS. I have always loved the outdoor and the exercise. Since I have started caching I have lost 27 lbs and built up a lot of muscle.

As for the numbers I would have to say that I am into getting more and more. I already have 125 finds in 3.5 months. For example last night I saw a new cache in my area and went out and found it at 8:30 at night. I love to be FTF and surprise the males when they open the log. A typical weekend involves having 15 finds. :unsure:

Are you:

A solo cacher?

A family cacher?

A social/group cacher?

Boredom

Needed the exercise

Love the outdoors

Women, care to share?

I am 1/2 of a "Caching Couple".

We need the exercise, and love the outdoor.

The scenery in New Mexico is spectacular, and there is much we have not seen.

I always feel better after going out, and the numbers don't matter to me.

I am starting to really like the hiding aspect of this game, but the distance to hid in a worthwhile location can really be time consumming. Two of our caches are 65 miles from home (one way), one is 35, and a new one coming up is about 40, but I keep an eye on them through the logs, and about once every 4-6 weeks go out to check them. The virtual are self maintaining...all I have to do is answer the emails! :unsure:

Are you:

A solo cacher?

A family cacher?

A social/group cacher?

Boredom

Needed the exercise

Love the outdoors

I love this sport!

Women, care to share?

Chica cacher.

Mostly a solo cacher, but group cache with friends on weekends, we have lots of fun and its safer. Starting caching cause I thought it sounded cool when a friend told me about it. I enjoy the journey. The more remote and challenging, the better. However, my husky can't handle long difficult hikes, so I save the easier ones for when I want to take her walking, cause she likes to cache too.

Are you:

A solo cacher?

A family cacher?

A social/group cacher?

Boredom

Needed the exercise

Love the outdoors

Well, I am part of a caching couple in that one of the Rangers is my husband and occasionally I manage to drag him out with me. I also go out with my sister (who I introduced to caching) and her 4 year old son. Other than that, we are not social cachers or group cachers!

We discovered caching via a link on bookcrossing I think! I am all up for it while my husband is a bit on the sluggish side. At the moment I have to rely on other people for transport but when I get back on the road with a bike/car then I will be off again! I just wanted to get out into the countryside a bit more and needed an excuse.

Numbers are interesting to me but not absorbing!

Tiffany

OK, anyone who reads the forums can figure out that the majority (not all, but a majority) of cachers are male, and that sometimes the testosterone level in the forums can run pretty high.

Whoa! Please don't make the mistake of thinking that those who post in the forums are typical cachers! :huh: It's only a vocal few!

Here in So Cal we've got a couple of gals (Ranboz and EMC of Northridge) who have over 1000 finds each. Way cool if you ask me.

Check out the Gal's profiles:

Ranboze's Profile

EMC's Profile

BTW, EMC has found her 1000 in less than a year!!!

Wow, I am so happy to read all the replies!

1000 caches in a year? And I thought I was on a fast track.... That's amazing!

Seems like there are more solo women than I imagined. When I first started, I got on the NE board and posted that I was solo and looking for other women to cache with - the safety in numbers theory. Not one response from a woman. I thought maybe there weren't any in my area, but there are - I guess they are all braver than me! But, as it turns out, I met a few of the well-known male cachers in the region, and have been caching with 2-3 of them regularly since December. My friends questioned the wisdom of going off into the woods with men I met online, but they've always returned me unharmed, and sometimes they even buy me lunch!

I'm a solo cacher, and that suits me just fine. Hubby doesn't like geocaching. He'd rather be on the golf course or watching tv when the weather is bad. He went with me one time and griped the whole time, so I'm happy to leave him at home. I like having time by myself and it is really enjoyable to go off somewhere alone and not have to talk to somebody since I deal with people constantly on my job. I did buy a cell phone just in case I get stranded in the woods or something.

I started because I love the outdoors, and more yet, I love a mystery. Trying to find a geocache is like solving a big mystery. I figure that I'll never know for sure who killed JonBenet Ramsey, so at least I'll get to use my sleuthing instincts to figure out where the caches are hidden.

I'm not into stats too much since this area doesn't have a lot of close geocaches, but I would like to build up my stats. I've worked hard setting up many geocaches in this area in hopes of getting more local people interested in it.

I got started caching when I won a bottom-of-the-line GPS at a Jeep event. That, right there, tells you a lot about me: i.e. I am cheap but I do know what a Detroit locker does for a YJ.

I cache alone.

I cache with MrJenn, but he is definitely the "beta" of the pair for this activity.

I cache with friends when possible.

I will do anything outdoors, except actual sports. I just never got the hang of sports.

Ditto what Criminal said.

Because I may encounter strange men lurking in the forest, of course !
Amen, sistah!

Is that legal? Who's looking after the kitchen then?
I'm tellin' her you said that! Edited by MissJenn
I got started caching when I won a bottom-of-the-line GPS at a Jeep event. That, right there, tells you a lot about me: i.e. I am cheap but I do know what a Detroit locker does for a YJ.

I cache alone.

I cache with MrJenn, but he is definitely the "beta" of the pair for this activity.

The fact that you refer to TW as "MrJenn" says even MORE about you! :huh:

I am a lady cacher and I found out about caching from some friends of mine. I am into gadgets and technology and love to hike/camp so I came to the gc.com web site and decided this was something I wanted to try. I am glad I did because I am having a blast so far!

My hubby went with me to a few caches before he had to go overseas. He is in the Air Force and will be in Korea until January of 2005.

My cache team is called 'Team Yatta'. There are four of us (not including hubby. He is an honorary member until he gets back to the US and can actually go with us again!). All four of us are females. I am 31, Rebel Yell 007 is 27, Vicious is 17 (Reb's sister) and GI Nurse is 35. Our usual routine is to go caching together every Thursday since we all have Thursday off from work.

Tomorrow we are off to Boulder. We have 20 cache finds planned and I know we are going to have a blast (as usual!).

The number aren't a HUGE deal to us. We are friends with a couple at work that cache together and we have a friendly competition and brag to each other about how Team Yatta has found more caches than they have. But other than that, the numbers are no big deal. We just enjoy taking one day a week to get out, have fun and hang out together.

Edited by Imajika

Drinksmith here! And yes, I'm another she-cacher.

I do mostly solo, but occasionally drag friends and family along. I have met some of the other cachers in the area, though, and they are fun to be with. I wouldn't turn down an offer to go caching with any of them!

The only time I've ever actually needed geo-company on a hike was when I was going on a terrain/difficulty 4.5. I didn't want to get skunked, and I didn't want to get injured, and it was in an area a good distance from home. One of the best caches I've ever found!

Anyhow, there seem to be a good number of she-cachers in my area. WanderLost, NomadRaven, CameraThyme, Geodeez, Untall, the list goes on and on. Maybe it's a Northwest thing?

I remember reading a few forum entries before I found my first cache. I read words like "obsession" and "addiction" thinking they were merely figures of speech. They were not. Sometimes I wonder what it is about this all that is so fascinating to me and I can see now that the beginnings go back to childhood. Some of my favorite childhood memories are these: Easter egg hunts..parents drawing a map so I could "find" my birthday present...going mushroom hunting with my Dad (I don't even LIKE mushrooms)...for heaven's sake, I even liked to go to the dentist as a child so I could read those "Highlights" magazine and find all the items on the hidden picture page. Do you see a pattern here? I can't believe I found a hobby that is so suited to me. Hubby is not interested, and the kids obviously did not inherit this weird gene, so usually I am on my own which I am becoming more comfortable with. I will say, it is much more fun to go with a friend and this hobby has made me much more outgoing in terms of going outside my comfort zone to call acquaintances who I think may enjoy the adventure. I am constantly in awe of the beautiful surroundings I discovered that have been right under my nose all these years and look forward to the adventures yet to come.

:huh: --->>>(Goldfishy just slapped Bug&snake across the face for that comment!)

HOW DARE YOU???

YOUR NAME FITS YOU WELL!!!

GO MAKE YOUR OWN CHICKEN POT PIE!!! :D

Hee-hee-hee...

Had to laugh, I actually did make chicken pie for dinner earlier tonight. And, I will have you know, I made it from scratch. None of this frozen stuff for me. Had it with potatoes done with butter and herbs an with small, sweet peas. So NYAH! :o

MissJenn

I'm tellin' her you said that!

You wouldn't would ya? What do you know about chicken pie? I seem to remember you claiming that you almost ate one of my puzzle CD's one time coz it looked like salad!

:huh:B)

I am a solo female cacher. I also hunt big game solo. I just can't find anyone that likes these outdoor activities as much as I do. So rather than waiting for someone else to go with me, I "Just Do It."

Maybe someday I will meet my soulmate and do these things with him, but until then I've found that I can have just as much fun doing things on my own. Heck, I even went elk hunting, shot a bull, quartered him and brought him home, all solo. Women can be rugged individualists too.

I don't care about the stats, though.

Anyhow, there seem to be a good number of she-cachers in my area.  WanderLost, NomadRaven, CameraThyme, Geodeez, Untall, the list goes on and on.  Maybe it's a Northwest thing?

I agree it's a Northwest thing. How could any girl resist when Blind Umpire and Criminal hide in our communities ? :huh:

Anyhow, there seem to be a good number of she-cachers in my area.  WanderLost, NomadRaven, CameraThyme, Geodeez, Untall, the list goes on and on.  Maybe it's a Northwest thing?

I agree it's a Northwest thing. How could any girl resist when Blind Umpire and Criminal hide in our communities ? B)

:D ...and you never know when me and my pup will run into you and your pup, on a dark misty trail where no one can hear you scream..... :huh:

:huh::lol::o

I agree it's a Northwest thing. How could any girl resist when Blind Umpire and Criminal hide in our communities ? :D

:huh: ...and you never know when me and my pup will run into you and your pup, on a dark misty trail where no one can hear you scream..... :huh:

:o:(B)

That scares me and I'm fearless ... :lol:

I know, looking for women responses. I can speak for my wife, as she and I and our daughter go caching together.

She started because I started. She is usually the one who finally finds the actual cache, while I just intrpret the GPS readings and the cache sheet.

I learned about is from an obscure link (then) on the Magellan website. I went there after I got the Meridian Platinum and was looking for software updates and the mapping software.

The next weekend, we were out caching and got 4 in the first day, it was great.

I like caching because it's so much fun to find hidden things and know little secrets that all the muggles are completely ignorant of. And I love hiking and running around in the woods! The numbers are fun, but I'm not competitive about them. I cache by myself on outdoorsey hiking type caches and when I travel to other areas, but when I'm at home I do lots of urban caches with my mom. No one else in our family is really interested in caching, although Mom will often drag Dad along with her when she wants to get a ftf on something and I'm not around.

My post (last year) from the topic Mopar Markwelled earlier in this thread:

I work at a local TV station, and first heard about geocaching a couple of years ago when we ran a story about it on our news. I said "that sounds like fun," but that was the end of it... for then.

A few weeks ago I got desperately lost in Southern maine. I was driving around saying "grrr! I need a GPS!" As I started shopping for one, I remembered geocaching... I looked around this website while I waited for my GPS to come in the mail, and was addicted before I even started! I dragged my boyfriend right in with me (which wasn't hard -- we do everything together!).

Updates to answer questions in this thread:

Kevin and I still cache together -- the only times I went without him were while he was away at school last year. We both love the outdoors, and I love gadgets. Maine is such an amazing place to hike, and we have found beautiful places right in our backyard that we never would have found otherwise. We're not too into numbers, but it was pretty exciting to hit #50 this week (OK, so we've been at it for a year... but Eastern Maine isn't the most cache-ily dense area!), and a FTF is always fun!

Let's Rock!

~ Kelli (the female half of Teamo)