5 Stages Of Geocaching

QuickKarl

i read that there are 5 stages of man , Birth, Adolescence, Maturity, Old Age, Death. These may not be exact.

If there where 5 stages of Geocaching, where are you?

1st: Newbie- Tadpole ( just started, full of excitement)

2nd: Out of grade school- attending Geocacher U, have learned a lot but still open minded and the thrill still there.

3rd : Been around a while, people look to you for advice, may have been asked to be a mod. have big numbers but not a big head.

4th: old timer, been there, done that, still like the game, but it takes a lot to impress you.

5th: burn out, gone, but not due to internal conflicts.

In Geocaching there can be a 6th,

Phoenix, you burned out, but have rose out of the ashes to play again.

you can nominate poeple in th 5th stage since they should not be here. no flaming.

I feel i am a soph. at the U. Looking up to the Prof. for knowledge.

1st stage here. My daughter and I found our very first two caches yesterday and we had a blast. Must've hiked a good three miles in the local parks. All I can say is my 11 year old has much better eyes than I do as she immediately found the first cache right after I stumbled over it twice. I'm going to try and get my wife involved tomorrow as there's quite a few more easy ones in my area. I also just got back from Wal-Mart stocking up on goodies for cache boxes (lotsa great hunting supplies on clearance.)

3.5: I'm a forum moderator and a cache reviewer, I have a huge ego and Groundspeak wisely muzzled me a bit by putting me in these positions where I am regularly bashed in the head, having only a small brick with which to defend myself. So now I have a smaller, irregularly shaped head.

For actually geocaching, yes it is starting to take more to impress me. There is far less thrill to going out and picking up that new 1.5/1.5 rated cache in the neighborhood park 10 miles away. So instead you do stuff to keep it interesting:

- take an easy cache and make it hard by doing it at night or in bad weather

- see if you can find every cache in a rural county in a single day

- go to a new city and see how many caches you can find in a single day

- upgrade your equipment so there are new toys to play with

- go back and visit a favorite cache, but at a different time of the year

- hide more challenging caches

- help other geocachers, join your local geo-group

- attend as many event caches as possible, join up with others for cache hunts

It is this last part, the social aspect of geocaching, that truly keeps this sport interesting for me.

130036_5400.gif

I’m a 2 and will never be asked to mod or approve. Some people like what I have to say, others believe I’ll single handedly destroy geocaching.

130036_5500.gif

I’m a 5 due to buttholes who want to change the game to fit their cockamamie standards. I’ll get another dadgum 10% warning for using the word cockamamie.

Edited by Criminal
130036_5400.gif

I’m a 2 and will never be asked to mod or approve. Some people like what I have to say, others believe I’ll single handedly destroy geocaching.

130036_5500.gif

I’m a 5 due to buttholes who want to change the game to fit their cockamamie standards. I’ll get another dadgum 10% warning for using the word cockamamie.

That's where I'm at too Crimi, except for the warning part.

That's actually my approach to most of the rest of my life. Hey, speed limits are only suggestions to me. (Until, I spot the fuzz.)

Sn :unsure::)gans

See, I totally missed the idea on this topic. I assumed it was based on the Five stages of grief. However, I think those kinda fit too:

1. Denial - This is just a stupid game. I can quit any time I want!

2. Anger - Someone put a cache in the park I was planning on putting a cache in! Why I oughta......

3. Bargaining - Honey, if you let me go geocaching today I'll watch the kids tomorrow so you can go do some girly thing. Yeah, I know tomorrow's Monday and you've got to work (ooops...back to anger)

4. Depression - My cache-mobile is out of gas, my GPS is scratched up and the batteries are dead and I have two broken legs. I'm also fairly sure my wife might have left me a month or so ago.

5. Acceptance - Hey, there's a new cache 15 miles from my office. Looks like I'll be going home early today

Bret (wedged between a 2 and a 3....on both scales)

See, I totally missed the idea on this topic. I assumed it was based on the Five stages of grief. However, I think those kinda fit too:

2. Anger - Someone put a cache in the park I was planning on putting a cache in! Why I oughta......

3. Bargaining - Honey, if you let me go geocaching today I'll watch the kids tomorrow so you can go do some girly thing. Yeah, I know tomorrow's Monday and you've got to work (ooops...back to anger)

4. Depression - My cache-mobile is out of gas, my GPS is scratched up and the batteries are dead and I have two broken legs. I'm also fairly sure my wife might have left me a month or so ago.

5. Acceptance - Hey, there's a new cache 15 miles from my office. Looks like I'll be going home early today

Bret (wedged between a 2 and a 3....on both scales)

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! :unsure::D:D:D:)

Hmmm... this is a tough one for me. I have only been Geocaching since December, but I jumped into Geocaching after obtaining a fairly strong knowledge of nautical navigation. So, newbie & Geocacher U levels never really applied, but "been around a while" and "big numbers" don't apply either.

Does that make me a 2.5? A provisional 3?

130036_5400.gif

130036_5500.gif

You used "cockamamie" twice! That's 20 percent more :D

Dang, and 10% for me now :unsure:

I would say I'm somewhere between 2 and 3. Just mentioned geocaching to a coworker a few days ago and now she is totally hyped about getting started. I gave her a bunch of info and a couple suggestions on which caches to start with in the area.

I've been amazed that I've actually had people asking me for suggestions on stuff. I'm still learning, just started over the summer. Oh well, I guess that's more experience than the guy just starting out :)

I'm definitely a 5 on the CYBret scale!

-Dave R. in Biloxi

i would say that i'm somewhere in the low 2 range. My "numbers" would be higher if there were more hides in my area than there are. i've made mistakes and learned from them. i know what a hide "feels" like. You can just tell when you see how the bark is situated or what the sightlines in the area point to. My head is swollen beyond truth because of a slight sense of elitism rooted in my Tradcaching philosophy. The majority of my love for the sport is about time with my brother, but i am still addicted to it without his involvement. i'm anxious for the next level whatever that looks like and i love GC enough to fear losing the spark.

2.5 : Been around a while, people look to you for advice, never asked to be a mod. Have small numbers and a big head  :) .

You have small numbers... ummm, maybe cause you have 6200 forum posts! Caching takes some time away from the keyboard. :unsure:

I call myself a 1.8. :D

Edited by bennet
2.5 : Been around a while, people look to you for advice, never asked to be a mod. Have small numbers and a big head  :unsure: .

You have small numbers... ummm, maybe cause you have 6200 forum posts! Caching takes some time away from the keyboard. :D

I call myself a 1.8. :)

:D I made my first post to the forums on the day you joined! Now look where I am!!!! B)B):D

Guess I'd be a 2.5. I occasionally get asked for advice (although I dont really know why :D ). I've never been asked to be a mod (thankfully :) ). Big numbers? Depends on what you consider big numbers I guess (just over 300 finds and about 50 something hides). So far, no warning's. I'm squeaky clean in that respect :unsure: . I'm still having tons of fun and don't see myself burning out at anytime in the future :D .

You have small numbers... ummm, maybe cause you have 6200 forum posts! Caching takes some time away from the keyboard.

Ummm, no. I have small numbers because skiing, softball, playing and coaching soccer, my family and numerous other interests and responsibilities come first.

Edited by briansnat

I'm a combination of 2 and 4 . . .

I've graduated from Geocacher U, I've learned a lot but I'm still open minded and the thrill still there. However, I've been there/done that and it takes a lot more than it used to to impress me.

You know what . . . make a new category for me. I don't think I fit in.

:unsure:

Happy caching and stuff! :)

3rd : Been around a while, people look to you for advice, may have been asked to be a mod. have big numbers but not a big head.

Wow. You think that you gotta have big numbers, be begged for advice, and join the administration of the GULAG before you become hard to impress, or even burn out completely??

You must be at the same time really blessed with the quality and variety of caches in you area, and totally unwilling to contribute to this quality and variety by submitting anything but the most trivial caches for approval.

Okay, let me see here...

My real classification would be somewhere near a transcended 4; I'm not at all bitter or jaded, but I *have* been to some astounding places, and I've taken some incredible caching trips... so far.

My imaginary classification is something between 0i and 1i (I have approximately zero imaginary caching experience.

Then there's the tertiary aspect. My third dimension is indeterminate, however it seems to oscillate near nu, iota, and often rho.

(Additional dimensions are beyond the scope of this thread, lest I end up tending toward 1.4i.)

Okay, let me see here...

My real classification would be somewhere near a transcended 4; I'm not at all bitter or jaded, but I *have* been to some astounding places, and I've taken some incredible caching trips... so far.

My imaginary classification is something between 0i and 1i (I have approximately zero imaginary caching experience.

Then there's the tertiary aspect. My third dimension is indeterminate, however it seems to oscillate near nu, iota, and often rho.

(Additional dimensions are beyond the scope of this thread, lest I end up tending toward 1.4i.)

I know geocaching tends to be afflicted by the more "geeky" people, however shouldn't there be a 10% warning for "overgeeking"? :huh::huh: