Do's & Don'ts

GFource2004

Being a "newbie" (I really loathe that title) I would like to hear from the veterans here.  What are the Do's & Don'ts of geocaching???  I want to make sure I am doing this right and not being one of those people that gets flamed because I didn't follow "the rules"! 

Happy Hunting!  :)

Huh, really as far as rules go ... try not to insult anyone (an occassional flame is okay), NO NOT start another thread on , "what to put in a backpack". Huh ... it's okay to have more posts than finds (as long as you have a debilitating injury-either physical or mental, it doesn't matter). Whatever boots you want to wear, just wear them and don't tell anyone what brand they are. I'm sure there are more, someone will flame you when you cross the line. Welcome. :D

PS-we really have not defined 'what' a veteran is in geocaching ... :unsure:

Funny you ask. I put this together quite some time ago:

Do not:

Do not mark the location of the cache with stones, flagging tape, arrows, cairns, etc... You found it without the extra help, so can everyone else (and believe it or not, this has been done).

Do not leave the cache exposed, unless you are absolutely sure that is the way the owner wants it.

Do not leave food in the caches. This includes dog biscuts, gum, Pez and cans of soda. It doesn't matter how well sealed the food item is. Just don't do it.

Do not leave heavily scented items like soap, candles, incense, pot-pourri, etc... The scents may be as interesting to animals as food.

Do not turn over, or move every rock and down tree in the area during your search. When you leave the area, it should not look like a cyclone went through. Besides, it isn't necessary and may tick off land managers.

Do not log it as a find if you didn't find it. It will confuse the cache owner and subsequent searchers.

Don't trash the cache in your log. If you have nothing good to say about it, just say "thanks".

Do's:

Do re-hide the cache well. Use the difficulty rating as a guide if you are unsure how well to hide it.

Do make sure you re-seal the lid. Many caches are ruined because someone failed to close the lid properly.

Do log your find on this website. It's a courtesy to the cache owner. It lets them know the cache has been found and their effort is appreciated.

Do let the owner know of any problems with the cache. You can do this via your log, or an e-mail.

Do log a "not found", if you didn't find it, no matter what the reason. It alerts the owner and other cachers that there could be a problem. A "not found" is nothing to be ashamed of. We all have our share.

Do try to leave the area around the cache as undisturbed as possible.

Do trade evenly. If you take the Mini Mag Lite, don't leave a Budweiser bottle cap, or a rock you found on the way to the cache.

Do follow the trail where possible. Often a trail will turn away from the cache, then loop back in its direction. Resist the urge to bushwack. It won't save you much time and more often than not, you'll just run into the trail again.

Do try to make sure you aren't being watched. In high traffic areas, its a good idea to quickly grab the cache and move to another spot to make your trade and log in. Then return the cache to its hiding place when you are sure nobody's looking.

Edited by briansnat
<SNIP>

Do try to make sure you aren't being watched. In high traffic areas, its a good idea to quickly grab the cache and move to another spot to make your trade and log in. Then return the cache to its hiding place when you are sure nobody's looking.

In addition to this excellent point, if you cannot grab the cache without being spotted come back another time. Your "find" is not worth having the cache plundered.

Do:

Wear tough clothes so you can crawl around on your knees

Bring extra batteries to your GPS

Have a torch with you, so you can light up in holes. Even useful in daylight :D .

Bring a stick to poke around with (snake alert :unsure: ). There´s never a stick in sight when you need one.

Read earlier logs before you go for it.

Don´t

Say -I´ll be back in an hour. It always takes longer time then you think.

Expect to find the cache easy, even if it´s a one star cache.

Cry out loud and quit cacheing if you not find it. Post a not find, the cache may be gone (for real :) )

Hade and enjoy

Edited by Tomax

DO: Check the area for observers who might think you look suspicious.

DO NOT: Apply too much pressure with the tension wrench, a light touch is all that’s necessary.

DO: Check the inside of the door frame for magnetic or pressure switches.

DO NOT: Waste a bunch of time picking the lock if there are easier and more expeditious methods of surreptitious entry.

DO: Stay in the shadows unless you have no other choice. If you must leave the shadows, pretend you are looking for your cat.

DO NOT: Hide under the bed or in the closet, those are the first places her husband will look.

DO: Formulate a detailed and verifiable cover story about why you’re there and what you’re doing while in the planning stage of the job. A solid cover story will usually keep a busybody from calling the police.

DO NOT: Forget to take with you all tools, gloves, or other personal belongings when leaving the scene.

Edited by Criminal
DO: Check the area for observers who might think you look suspicious. 

DO NOT: Apply too much pressure with the tension wrench, a light touch is all that’s necessary.

DO: Check the inside of the door frame for magnetic or pressure switches. 

DO NOT: Waste a bunch of time picking the lock if there are easier and more expeditious methods of surreptitious entry. 

DO: Stay in the shadows unless you have no other choice.  If you must leave the shadows, pretend you are looking for your cat.

DO NOT: Hide under the bed or in the closet, those are the first places her husband will look.

DO: Formulate a detailed and verifiable cover story about why you’re there and what you’re doing while in the planning stage of the job.  A solid cover story will usually keep a busybody from calling the police. 

DO NOT: Forget to take with you all tools, gloves, or other personal belongings when leaving the scene.

hehehe ... your forum name fits you well. :unsure: BTW, I do know a guy who got shot in the huh, rear, when 'the husband' busted in the bedroom door. The guy was trying to gather himself when 'the husband' fired his .22 rifle. The poor bastard walks with a limp to this day. :)

Edited by clearpath

most do's & don't are for yourself rather than for others, and most of mine have to do with long hikes.

Do waypoint the car.

Do carry an emergency poncho if there's any possibilyty of rain.

Do carry plenty of water in hot areas.

Do know how much daylight you have left, or how to get back to your car in the dark with a flashlight otherwise. This was by first big lesson. I set my cell phone alarm to ring after 1/2 the remaining daylight is gone. I figure if it took me that long to get to that spot, it'll take me that long to get back. It usually works pretty much like that. A related 'do' is Do get started early.

Do let someone know where you're going and when you expect to be back. A note on your car isn't a bad idea.

The only real difference between a newbie and an experienced geocacher is that the experienced geocacher will poke the dog turd with a stick to see if perhaps there isn't a rolled up log in there.