Tb Is Gone - How To Remove From Cache

UncleRMC

Someone took a TB from my cache, but did not log it out nor have they dropped it off elsewhere.

My problem is that it is still showing as IN my cache and I'm getting new log comments like, "the TB is not in the cache".

How do I stop it from showing as IN my cache?

TIA

UncleRMC

Edited by UncleRMC

I'm pretty sure that as the "cache owner", you cannot remove a TB from the page. It takes the owner of the bug, who has the "secret number" to either "grab" it or put it in an "unknown place".

Have you tried emailing the owner of the bug?

Hope this helps...

Edited by jbhooker3

Peeve: bugs that are still listed in caches, cachers who keep saying "Didn't see bug X in the cache, what a pity, came all the way here hoping to find it", bug owners who've been told repeatedly by various people that the bug is gone, bug owners who nonetheless never get around to marking the bug missing.

It would be nice if, as a cache owner, you could 'eject' a bug from your cache if you've been there and you're 100% certain that it's not there. Of course, if someone picked it up a few days ago and simply hasn't had a chance to get home to a PC and log it, that could cause confusion too, but otherwise I wish this was doable.

If you pick a 25-mile radius around my home coordinates, there're about 12 caches with bugs, of which about a third aren't actually there and haven't been there for a long, long time. I'd love to see that cleaned up, but in most cases the bug owners never respond to mail and I don't like to pester someone via e-mail more often than, say, once every two months to report something to them like "your bug is gone, here's how you can mark it missing."

....but in most cases the bug owners never respond to mail and I don't like to pester someone via e-mail more often than, say, once every two months to report something to them like "your bug is gone, here's how you can mark it missing."

In this case the TB owner quickly responded and removed the TB from my cache.

Nope. I haven't heard that cache owners can do this. Bug owners, yes.

This problem has been around almost since the beginning of Travel Bugs (August of 2001). I had an idea in April of 2002, and repeated it again in May of 2002, and again in May of 2002 and again in August of 2002.

...as the owner of the cache in which the travel bug was supposedly resting, you do not {have the ability to remove the bug from the cache}...

Sure as a bug owner, you can grab the bug yourself and hold it indefinitely until it shows up. But here's the other side of the hypothetical question: I have a cache and I've verified that the bug isn't there. I don't want the bug icon sitting on my cache page when I don't have a bug there (people get testy). The bug owner is not responsive to my e-mails.

In that situation, I'd like to be able to send the bug to Travel Bug Heaven and then let the bug owner grab it from there, or when the bug turns up, let the grabber grab it from there. The problem would be that it would have distance if "Heaven" were set up as a cache with coordinates. We would need help from J-rish to set something like this up.

The other option is that if we don't send it to "bug heaven," the cache owner would be able to return the bug to the possession of the bug owner. Link would be "bug is not in my cache, but whereabouts are unknown". Clicking this link would make the bug automatically appear "in the hands of the owner." Thus forcing the solution mentioned above.

Edited for bad markwelling

Edited by Markwell
Nope.  I haven't heard that cache owners can do this.  Bug owners, yes.

From the Travel Bug FAQ page, the very last line on that page says:

"Cache owners also have the ability to move the travel bug listed on their cache page to an unknown location."

http://www.geocaching.com/track/faq.aspx

I haven't tried this yet and maybe it doesn't work. Markwell might be correct.

You are correct......last line on that page says: "Cache owners also have the ability to move the travel bug listed on their cache page to an unknown location."

I don't own any caches, so cannot test this....maybe we will get to see this work soon. Think it would be a courtesy to the bug owner to warn them first though.

I am also certain that you could not have found this answer by doing a "search", since it is such a new feature.

(Sorry, had to say that after all the recent squabbling about not bothering to do the research before asking a question around here.)

"Cache owners also have the ability to move the travel bug listed on their cache page to an unknown location."

None of my caches currently have a TB in them so I was unable to verify this either.

That being said, I looked and looked for a way to remove the problem TB before writing my question here in this forum. I saw no method available to me.

None of my caches currently have a TB in them so I was unable to verify this either.

That being said, I looked and looked for a way to remove the problem TB before writing my question here in this forum. I saw no method available to me.

It says we have the ability, but as of this moment, we really don't. I have a bug that's been sitting virtually in my cache for 11 months, but it hasn't been there for almost 11 months. The owner doesn't respond to emails, so there's nothing I can do unless TPTB change this and allow bug owners to remove non-existent bugs from their caches.

:rolleyes:

Butterfly and I have several caches that have "missing" TBs in them. We have repeatedly emailed bothe the owners of the TB and the most likely cachers who taken it. Several visiters have come to find the " no longer there bug" and make us feel bad about the visit, not what we want.....

Here is what we sent to the owner of one such TB and it was picked up by one who is not active in caching........

"Hi Russ and Erin.

We need you to remove your TB from our Harbor Park cache page as the TB was picked up and the cacher did not log it out properly. We have tried to email this person but we never get a reply and it seems this person had only a brief interest in Geocaching and is maily inactive.

Time and again cachers have looked and were dissapointed in not finding the TB.... Sorry about the loss but we are stuck with it's "ghost" till you "exorcise" it......

Thanks in advance........

poikaa es butterfly"

A bit of humor might do the trick! :bad:

poikaa es butterfly