How High Is Too High

Fritz_Monroe

I'm playing around with ideas for some caches and wondered how high off the ground is too high. For instance, if I'm 6'6" and put it an arm's length up, that's going to put it out of reach of someone that's 4'5". So when I place something up high, should I make sure that it's not too high, or place it and put up a hint or something pointing people that direction?

My main caching partner is about 5'3" and I wouldn't want to cut her out of finding the cache.

F_M

I'm 5'10" and I've found a couple caches that were hard for me to reach. If my wife had gone without me, she may not have been able to retrieve or even find the cache.

I do like the idea of a cache hidden like that--as long as they're not all like that. Whie she might not be able to reach the cache the way I would, it would encourage her to be creative in finding and retrieving the cache.

I would say there is no limit. If someone cant reach it, then they need to figure a way to get it w/o the added advantage of height. I know of a cache that is 15+ ft up in a tree.. There is a way to get it w/o having to chop the tree down or climb it. Though I'm sure most people don't even see it. :unsure: I have also found a cache that required lifting another cacher up to retrieve the cache (not from a tree), it did however state that on the cache page. One person wrote in their log how they came alone and climbed up their bicycle and was able to retrieve the cache. I see nothing wrong with that, just be sure to make the rating appropriate and perhaps note it in the cache description or the hint.

I have a cache planned as part of a series of interesting hides that will involve a cache in a tree at least 10-15 ft high, but you won't have to climb to get it. :)

There have been caches put up in trees and some whiny people have come out to say that this is too dangerous and shouldnt be done. This is just too easy, dont attempt that kind of cache if you think its beyond your capabilities! Sorry, got a bit off topic here as your's doesnt seem to be aimed at being too difficult or dangerous. Hiding a cache up high is fine. I think your responsibility is to make sure that the difficulty ratings on your cache page reflect how the cache is hidden. Just an idea, but maybe you can come up with a 2nd way for cachers to retrieve the cache. Say suspend it with some form of tether and have a way for a finder to lower it down to them. Or, maybe there is an object nearby that can be used to help reach the cache. Anyways, im sure there are others like me that like a good challenge, so bring it on!!! :unsure:

I've found one that was about as high up as a telephone pole and I'm planning on a trip to a 5/5 in Kansas that so high up that I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to get up there.

I think that 5/5 is going to be a roadtrip for a bunch of people...

Well folks, I got the answers I wanted. So, if I place a cache fairly high, I'll make sure that the difficulty fits. I'll also allude to the height in the description or hint. I'm not going to come right out and say that it's about 7 feet off the ground.

Seems that everyone agrees on this. Is this some kind of record?

Since I got my answer, I'm closing this.

F_M