Waypoint Naming

Great responses folks - thanks for the help. Being a newbie, I have a couple questions:

1) Where do I find GPSBabel's "Smart names" and GSAK?

2) I haven't quite got the gist of GCXXXX. I have looked at it a little, but am confused. Downloading the Easy GPS didn't help. Qualifier - a little is less than 30' - time has been short of late!

3) I have a Magellan SporTrak Map that supports 8 digit waypoint names. 16 would be nice!

4) I like the category approach Us 5 Camp.

Thanks again for all your replies and I look forward to learning more from your answers.

The cool part about the SporTrak Map as far as GC.com waypoints go, is that it supports the "comments" section that imports automatically into the GPS. So, you get to see the GCXXXX and also the name of the cache in the comments section. I actually never rename my waypoints unless I am going to put them on my Topo or Direct Route software so I can get an idea of where they are.

Here is GSAK by the way

GSAK

2) I haven't quite got the gist of GCXXXX.

If you mean that you dont understand the why they are written like that, it's just a random code that is assigned to every cache. You can search caches by that name on the hide and seek page, and it also kind of gives each cache an "official " geocaching number. They really dont help at all, unless you like to reference them on the site by that name, or tell someone else to look for a cache with that name. Many people change them, especially people that use eTrex's because you cant see the name of the cache and the GCXXXX at the same time. (i think)

Edited by SBPhishy
Great responses folks - thanks for the help.  Being a newbie, I have a couple questions:

1)  Where do I find GPSBabel's "Smart names" and GSAK?

GPSBabel uses smart names when given the "-s" option, as described in the doc. Depending on what OS you use, there may be a pointy clicky interface to turn on that option. GSAK has a number of threads on this forum, but can be found even as the first hit on google at http://gsak.geocaching.com.au/

3)  I have a Magellan SporTrak Map that supports 8 digit waypoint names.  16 would be nice!

GPSBabel (and therefore, programs that use GPSBabel, such as GSAK) knows that your STMap has 8 character filenames, spaces are legal, dollar signs are not, mixed case is good, and lots of other details that you don't really want to know. Some other packages do this, too.
5)  I like the category approach Us 5 Camp.
I couldn't figure out what he was suggesting. The approach I chose it to map the icon depending on cache type when given an input file (i.e. GPX with Groundspeak extensions from a PQ) that contains that data. You'll get a film canister for micros, a bunch of grapes for multis, etc.