The Best Prize

Mvillian

The best I ever heard of (since that was your question) was a cache that had a few new GPS's - I think a Garmin V was included - and hundreds of dollars in cash. Look up any of TEAM KFWB GPS's caches and I think you'll probably find the best item you ever heard of.

Now one of the best (or should I say most useful) iitems I ever found was a rubber mallet. It probably cost $2 at a dollar store, but I use it almost daily.

Edited by briansnat

The best prize I ever found in a cache had nothing to do with the monetary value of the prize and everything to do with the timing of the find.

I found the cache on my way around a local lake where 10 caches are hidden. I was on the 6th or 7th cache when I sat down to log my find... My GPS chose that moment to go dead. I hadn't brought any batteries with me. I opened the cache and there inside were two brand new batteries!

Timing is everything! I now carry spares for myself and I leave them as trade items a lot!

The best prize I ever found in a cache had nothing to do with the monetary value of the prize and everything to do with the timing of the find.

I found the cache on my way around a local lake where 10 caches are hidden. I was on the 6th or 7th cache when I sat down to log my find... My GPS chose that moment to go dead. I hadn't brought any batteries with me. I opened the cache and there inside were two brand new batteries!

Timing is everything! I now carry spares for myself and I leave them as trade items a lot!

See that. My new signature item is looking better and better.

I haven't played my Play Station 2 since I started caching. I think I'm going to give that away in one of my upcoming caches.

Now one of the best (or should I say most useful) items I ever found was a rubber mallet. It probably cost $2 at a dollar store, but I use it almost daily.

Uhh... remind me not to tick you off...

The best prize we've seen is probably one we've placed. We left a new heart rate monitor watch in a cache dedicated to New Year's resolutions that died a quick death. It wasn't picked up, oddly enough, until about the 6th or 7th find (by my sis of all people! :unsure: )

Mudfrog and Chicken have put out some great prizes in a couple of their caches here in Texas. Our favorite was the Angelina Bonus Cache.

This cache involves finding bonus clues attached to five other caches (even if you've found them before) spread out along a 5.5 mile trail and a 0.67 mile spur. So depending on how you approach it you're looking at between 12 and 15 miles of hiking. Well worth the effort, though. Notwithstanding the joy of the beautiful trail, check out the initial contents and you'll see why several of us rushed out immediately even though we'd been to the area before.

We started a thread in the West&Southwest forum to see if there was any interest in an Orvis Flyrod as a FTF prize but didn't get much of a response, so we are still debating about placing it in a cache

Now how would you fit that in a cache? If you do it, please, please, place it in New Jersey.

I left a new Pflueger fly reel in my very first cache. Well it wasn't brand new, but it was in its box and never used. Found it when cleaning out my parents garage when they moved. I already had plenty of reels, so in the cache it went.

The 'best' prize I ever found was the medallion that was the first finder's prize for "Wheretogo?Vertigo!"

76092_200.jpg

Interestingly, I found my second most favorite prize just over one week later. It was the FTF prize for "Alluvial Material," and was a keyring made from the hood ornament of an old Mercedes. Ah, geocaching was so much fun back in the fall of 2001!

While I have not done an large amount of caching, I do have a goal set up to get as many different Geocoins as I can.

I think, while some may consider it as a "money making" scheme, each state/country should have a seperate geocoin and these coins be required to be placed in either trad caches or make a seperate cache type for those interested in collecting the coins. If they are in a seperat Geocoin Cache, the only way to get it approved (besides the current rules) would be to have a few local geocoins available and have it "require" (as much as can be done) that to take a coin, you leave a coin.

I would highly consider buying up to 5 coins for each cache for the FTF prizes. I will collect my thoughts and get a better post on this outlining some ideas I have been mulling over here.

<snip>

Now one of the best (or should I say most useful) iitems I ever found was a rubber mallet. It probably cost $2 at a dollar store, but I use it almost daily. <snip>

So I guess your reflexes are pretty good after all that practice (if that's what you want to call it. :huh:

We have a relatively new cacher in these parts who's put a $65 tactical flashlight in a bunch of his caches as FF prizes. Here's the latest of the 16 he's hidden since December. The ones I found last weekend aren't quite this extreme.

We found one of joefrog's famous marshmallow guns in a cache located in northern OR... had read about them in the forums so knew how rare them thar' thangs were in these h'yar parts. Much havoc was wreaked throughout the lower level of the house later that night, with the marshmallow gun playing an integral part.

We keep thinking of cache prizes that we think are brilliant, but nobody else seems to share our views. We've engraved our avatar on shot glasses and on pocket mirrors, we've printed avatar stickers with (well, we thought so) clever sayings and used them on those travel packs of Band-Aids, we've spent serious money on "thirsty-stone" coasters with lizard images.... all have gotten lukewarm reception, at best. We apparently didn't spin slowly in circles three times before deciding what was good stuff for cache leavings. :huh:

The best I ever heard of (since that was your question) was a cache that had a few new GPS's - I think a Garmin V was included - and hundreds of dollars in cash. Look up any of TEAM KFWB GPS's caches and I think you'll probably find the best item you ever heard of.

Now one of the best (or should I say most useful) iitems I ever found was a rubber mallet. It probably cost $2 at a dollar store, but I use it almost daily.

Sometimes you kill me Snat!!! My first find was a Mossberg Viking button and thats my #1 best item.

Got sand from the Moon  :D in a FTF of a multicache. Great!

The owner worked in a ESA investigation

Now that's cool, if it's real. Although if it is real, I question whether it's legal for you to own it. Check the net. You might start with this articlethis article.

"In October 1997, NASA agents began following Internet sales by a man in Arizona who claimed to have decorated pictures with a sprinkling of moon rock particles. He returned to the United States after fleeing to Canada, and NASA and FBI agents arrested the man in New Milford, Conn. The case ended on Oct. 30, 2000. “Richard Keith Mountain pled guilty to six counts of mail and wire fraud in connection with a scheme to sell alleged moon rocks to interested buyers,” says Michael Kreps, Special Agent in Charge of the NASA OIG in Long beach, Calif. “He was sentenced to 21 months in prison, three years probation and 300 hours of community service and ordered to pay $98,750 in restitution back to victims, plus a $600 special assessment fee.”"

Got sand from the Moon  :D in a FTF of a multicache. Great!

The owner worked in a ESA investigation

Now that's cool, if it's real. Although if it is real, I question whether it's legal for you to own it. Check the net. You might start with this articlethis article.

"In October 1997, NASA agents began following Internet sales by a man in Arizona who claimed to have decorated pictures with a sprinkling of moon rock particles. He returned to the United States after fleeing to Canada, and NASA and FBI agents arrested the man in New Milford, Conn. The case ended on Oct. 30, 2000. “Richard Keith Mountain pled guilty to six counts of mail and wire fraud in connection with a scheme to sell alleged moon rocks to interested buyers,” says Michael Kreps, Special Agent in Charge of the NASA OIG in Long beach, Calif. “He was sentenced to 21 months in prison, three years probation and 300 hours of community service and ordered to pay $98,750 in restitution back to victims, plus a $600 special assessment fee.”"

Yeah, you're right. I can't never be sure if those 1.5 grams of sand are from the Moon.

Due to this situation I asked for the last owner of the sand, he told me that he was involved in a ESA's Project where every year students from Europe have to do a space research in micro-gravity on a falling aeroplane named A300 ZERO-G.

His team had to investigate the growth of the plants in micro-gravity, and they had tests with some sand from the Moon.

He send me a pic of him floating in the A300 airplane.

Wow! Lots of cool finds listed.

Today was my first day Geocaching, and I took my twin 9 year olds. In our third cache (we found four total today) we found an 1875 Seated Liberty dime! To all of us, this was an AWESOME find since we're coin collector's. We actually didn't expect to find any quality items, but we were very pleasantly surprised by the contents of this particular cache. We left behind several wheat pennies, some other money, and an action figure just trying to be fair.

In our cache, we're definitely going to put some high quality stuff in there. I think it makes the adventure much more fun knowing that you can get something good!

PCG

The kids and I try to do a good job of trading up/even, and usually re-stock a cache that looks a little barren. I feel a need to give back to an activity that has given me so much enjoyment.

I recently found my 300th cache and to celebrate placed a cache. Nothing like those folks out in the Pacific Northwest (who must be independently wealthy) but I did include 3 DVDs, 2 CDs, 3 paperbacks, and a whole bunch of stuff for all and sundry. The cache is OzGuff's 40th and also commemorates my getting older.

(Interestingly enough the FTF took all 3 DVDs and claims to have emptied his swag bag as the trade. I'm not sure I would have taken all 3 DVDs had I found the cache, but that is life!) The story behind the cache and how it got there is an enjoyable one and I am (still) happy to give back to the geocaching community!

Any trade item that gets my kids to stop whining and be happy is a great trade item! :D:wub: