Any Gpsr's With River Mapping?

Odwolda

Are there any GPSr's that have river basemaps? I don't mind if I have to buy the software, but it would be handy to have a GPS that could navigate me through the rivers. The etrex Legend looked like it suited my needs but I want your guys' opinions. And I need it to cover big and small rivers, not just he major rivers. Thanks for any help.

PS. Keep it cheap please! :unsure:

Both Garmin and Magellan offer topo maps to load into the GPS. Those maps have most bodies of water, although they're nothing more than a black squiggly line, and quite often a bunch of straight lines that only roughly approximates the course of a small river.

My Magellan can switch to "marine use" where the water becomes light and the land becomes dark, although on a river with no "width," there's no point.

Topo maps are the best you'll get for a "river mapping" GPS.

Jamie

Odwolda...

I recently bought a Garmin GPSMap76S. The basemap isn't very useful for rivers and such but I also bought the MapSource Roads & Recreation CD (it's just recently been discontinued but can still be found) and it's got rivers and lakes on it. In addition to shoreline information Roads & Rec also has lights & boueys.

If you really want to go all out, and I did, you can also get Garmin's MapSource BLUECHART disk. I bought the disk (comes with one unlock code for a "Region"). The vector data charts are very similar to the printed charts that are available.

The GPSMap76S shows this info in grayscale but it's still useful. These are a couple of screenshots from the computer:

Greenvale Creek from Roads& Recreation:

RR.JPG

Greenvale Creek from MapSource BlueChart:

BLUE.JPG

for the money..................the i finder by lowrance has a pretty decent basemap of streams/rivers/lakes. the i finder is priced reasonable too. only drawback is the availability of used software for this brand. i had a global100 a few years ago and was amazed at the water detail in the basemap. keep in mind that the ifinder is not "waterproof" but comes with a durable water bag. i now use a garmin map76 but it originally cost more than twice the ifinder and i had to purchase the topo software to get the great water "detail".