To Theme Or Not To Theme?

Imajika

Hey there. Team Yatta is working on a second cache placement. We have the ammo box but we have no idea where we want to place it just yet. One of my team mates suggested a theme cache. She wants to make a cache with jewelry items inside (charms, necklaces, etc....all placed in individual bags so they won't tangle up). Now she is thinking of even more themed caches she wants us to place.

So what is your opinion on themed caches? I think it is a good idea if people read the cache description first and bring along something to trade that fits with the theme. On the other hand, if everyone signs the log TNLNSL and brings nothing to trade, the items in the cache will probably remain there forever and never be traded for.

So, any success stories with themed caches? Any horror stories? I told my team mate I would get a general concensus on themed caches before we decided to place one. Now she is dying to know what you think so we can hurry up and place this cache!

I'd like to offer my opinion, as well as piggy-back off this topic and add a similar question.

Opinion: I think that some kind of theme is better than no theme, as long as it is not really hard to follow (much as an obscure black and white movie) or super-strict (where the cache owner sends emails repremanding you for not following the theme). For example, I found a cache with a Lion King theme. For the most part, people had various things to trade that kept the cache themed. There were keychains, postcards, figurines, cassettes, and all things Lion King. In the cache description, the owners had only REQUESTED that Lion King stuff be traded, but it was easy enough that people followed it. This cache wasn't newly placed either. I believe it had about 20-30 finds before I found it.

Question: Would you rather have an easy cache in an average area with a cool fictional story to go with it (that is reflected in the cache's contents and container), or no cache at all?

So what is your opinion on themed caches? I think it is a good idea if people read the cache description first and bring along something to trade that fits with the theme. On the other hand, if everyone signs the log TNLNSL and brings nothing to trade, the items in the cache will probably remain there forever and never be traded for.

So, any success stories with themed caches? Any horror stories? I told my team mate I would get a general concensus on themed caches before we decided to place one. Now she is dying to know what you think so we can hurry up and place this cache!

Our oldest active cache, Cachin' for Critters, is a themed cache. As near as I can tell, we get a similar number of TNLNSL on this one as we do on our others and those who trade generally follow the theme.

Our night cache, A Shot in the Dark, is also a themed cache but I have found that the theme is not followed closely. I think night related items are more expensive or generally not as common so that may explain the lower response to the theme.

I have no issue with someone not following the theme if they will enjoy something they find in the box. If they follow the theme, I see that as a bonus. The way I view it, the theme is for the finders, not me.

When I seek caches with a theme, I will make an effort to bring something to leave in the cache that goes with the theme, even if I do not take anything. Seems that I seldom take anything these days unless it is a signature item. I don't mind if others do the same. Sometimes though I don't have the luxury of pre-planning so I will TNLNSL.

George

Since I am a 'planner' I like the themed caches. If I see one and don't have anything fitting, it gives me something to shop for the next time I am out. Since I have so many in our area I haven't been to, I'm in no rush and can wait until I have an item appropriate for the theme to hit that cache. (o.k.....so it's really just another excuse to shop! :unsure: )

I like themed caches. Sometimes I will actually go out of my way to purchase something to put in the cache if I don't have anything appropriate.

Question: Would you rather have an easy cache in an average area with a cool fictional story to go with it (that is reflected in the cache's contents and container), or no cache at all?

That's easy. I'll take the easy cache in an average area. Heck I'll even take an easy cache in an average area with NO theme. Average is OK with me, not every cache is going to be in an amazing location. As long as it's not in a disgustingly dirty location or hidden in a pile of old 40 bombers and used condoms I'm fine with it. Of course I prefer caches in a pristine & scenic location but you can't have everything.

Edited by JMBella

I say if you're going to theme, make it interesting and thorough. I'm very indifferent about lame themes, if anything they're annoying because my goodies don't match so I must TNLN. Don't make a Sphere themed cache in a square ammo box in a location completely unrelated to spheres. That's silly. What's the point of a theme if it doesn't relate to every aspect of the cache including box contents and location? Otherwise it's just a silly limitiation on goodies it can contain.

Here is a cache off the top of my head that I'd appreciate. The George Washington Slept Here cache, located on a route that GW's army took during the war, containing a breif history of the area, with goodies that relate to George Washington, Army, Revolutionary War, 1776 era, etc.

Here's a dumb theme:

The Pirates of the High Seas cache, located in Colorado. Can contain only pirate and nautical related items.

Note: These caches are fictional, I just made them up. Any similarity to a real cache is purely coincidental and unintended.

Edited by woo2
For me a themed cache means TNLN, unles it's themed after someting i just happen to have already.

Yup, me too......there are only a couple of themed caches nearby, and I have only found one of them. It was a fisherman theme, trading fishing lures only......I was FTF, and since I don't carry fishing lures with me, I naturally trashed the cache, destroyed the contents, and wrote an SBA log on the cache page......j/k...I TNLNSLTFTC.... :unsure:

The next cache on my list is themed for keychains, and I do happen to have a couple of keychains in my bag-o-swag, so I will probably trade, or just leave one and TN......

I had some required trade theme caches. Someone didn't comply and I emailed them and asked them to change their find to a note until they could. They said no. I deleted their log and they went ballistic and threatened to adjust my attitude for me if they ever met me on the trail. That led to a nice little war that everyone eventually got over.

Those cachers that I had met a lot gave me flack over the required trade and so I slowly archived all of them and brought back new caches with a suggested theme.

Those work much better. Now everybody has fun.

For my second cache placement I started out with the idea of a themed cache. But, then I decided that it might be annoying to folks who want to trade but don't have the right type of item on them. Personally, I don't go out and acquire specific types of items for trading before looking for a cache.

So, I wrote this as a part of my cache's description:

This cache's name comes from the fact that it started out life stocked with items that glow in the dark or otherwise light up. Please try to trade items that are also like this, but if you don't have any then feel free to trade anyway. I'll reload a few theme items whenever I do maintenance on the cache. Signature items and travel bugs are always welcome, of course!

I find such a "suggested theme" way more friendly.

For my second cache placement I started out with the idea of a themed cache. But, then I decided that it might be annoying to folks who want to trade but don't have the right type of item on them. Personally, I don't go out and acquire specific types of items for trading before looking for a cache.

So, I wrote this as a part of my cache's description:

This cache's name comes from the fact that it started out life stocked with items that glow in the dark or otherwise light up. Please try to trade items that are also like this, but if you don't have any then feel free to trade anyway. I'll reload a few theme items whenever I do maintenance on the cache. Signature items and travel bugs are always welcome, of course!

I find such a "suggested theme" way more friendly.

If you're gonna go themed, I'd say that's a pretty good way of doing it. :unsure:

Okay we have decided on a 'suggested theme'. People can still trade for items even if they don't have a theme item to put in the cache. I think that's a great idea and people can still have fun! I will restock the cache with theme items when I do maintenence.

Our 'suggested theme' is magic. Wizards, pixies, magic tricks, leprechauns, toys with the word 'magic' on it (one of the original cache items will be a 'magic yoyo'), etc. It's not a strict theme so I think people will enjoy it. :huh:

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Friday we're off to hide another cache! :huh:

I placed a cache which I thought would be fun not intending it to remain a theme but it has turned out that way... See Dar Bridge my cache has a redenck/hillbilly theme to it and the cachers are either trading like items or tb's most just TNLFHOSL oh that is took nothing laugh fool head off sign log. the cache is filled with hillbilly gags as well as other redneck/hillbilly items and is turning out to be quite a fun cache... :)

We did one this this way. We decided life was full of bad news (911 history, Iraq/Afganastan wars, amongst other national stories). To lighten things up, we created "know joke". We placed joke items in ammo can Sparky & the gang, 3 stooges movies, tiny rubber chickens, fake buck teeth, silly things, lots of silly things. We also left a joke book in there. All we ask is that they leave a joke (we even provided a joke book for inspiration) in the log book. This all leads to a few things. Cachers wind down while sharing jokes, families laugh as they pick a joke from the book or share their "own". Most take extra time to read the logbook, laughter is contagious. We all chuckle again as we read other peoples jokes, AND THIS IS A FREE (no trinket necessary) cache! Those of us who do bring trinkets have a great time trading and becoming youthful and young again with their silly chosen treasures. I still wonder who took the comb for the bald man, what was he thinking? What does he look like now?

Our 'suggested theme' is magic. Wizards, pixies, magic tricks, leprechauns, toys with the word 'magic' on it

you do NOT want him in your caches!

I think the hamster population would consider it fair payback. :o:):P

I have a keychain themed cache out there that has been pretty popular. I tend to pick up keychains from other caches to restock mine with. If someone leaves a non-keychain item in the cache I don't go RK :) on them though. I have bought themed items if I have a particular cache on my radar screen and need some trade booty. Otherwise I'll just TNLN.

I think suggested theme is the best way to go too.