Travel Bugs -

noyzmakr

Hi all - just read about geocaching in a magazine last night. I will be buying a GIS soon.

How addicting already!

Anyway, in regards to travel bugs. I know I will be going to Hawaii in August. If I know I want to take a travel bug on this trip when is the appropriate time to take it. Closer to August??

Sorry for the newbie question.

Thanks, Chris

Welcome to the addiction!

Check the goals of the travel bugs you might take, and make sure they want to go to Hawaii. Bug's with goals like "visit the most caches," "hit every GC in state XX," or "Make it to Location XX by year XXXX" probably don't want to go to Hawaii unless HI is that state XX or location XX.

Generally if you hold a bug for more than a week or two it's nice to let the owner of the bug know why you are holding it.

‘Just my 2 cents. I'm pretty new here too, but that seems to be the general consensuses I have seen over the last couple of months.

<edit>

Do a forum search for “Hawaii” In the TB section.

</edit>

Edited by geckoee

I know that I like to have my bugs moving often. I have one bug that has been in the persons hands since July. They keep telling me they are going to move it but.....

No matter what you do....this is a good rule of thumb.....if you pick up a bug, try and drop in with in a week or so.

Also if you haven't done a bug drop yet you should know something else. Write the number of the tag down. If you pick up and drop off in the same day you'll have to have the number in order to log the move. You can always contact the owner because they are supposed to have a copy with the number on it.

I had a bug that a fella picked up and dropped off in a couple of days. He never logged the drop. I contacted him and it still took months to log the drop and when he finally was ready he couldn't remember what cache it was he dropped it in.

Just be thoughful with whatever decision you make. If it were me I would do the the earlier post said. I would focus on bringing a bug off of the Island....and log it as soon as you can.

Hook'em hard!

Muskytooth

Considering I'm in this exact situation I'll comment :o

Out caching, found a bug, brought it home, logged that I found it, checked where it wanted to go, it wants to go to Hawaii, Faile and I are planning to go to Hawaii for spring break, e-mailed the owner and asked if they would mind if we held it til then, they said cool, we said cool, we still have the bug, now we're just waiting for spring break :huh:

Hopefully we will be able to actually make the trip :huh: I could really use some sun.

We also mentioned that there was a chance we might not be able to make it work, but the owner said they would rather have it in the hands of someone who was thinking about it, than to just have it wandering around and possiblly disappearing. They even suggested a cache to place it in.

So to answer the question. Grab the bug if you have a chance, just e-mail the owner to find out how they feel about you holding it til you can go.