Visitor Just Taken Items Out

JeeperMTJ

Last weekend my first cache went online. In my opionion I put some pretty neat stuff in there and I extra made laminated "Souvenir Bagdes" for this cache.

Also it had some (pre €uro) coins und 1 US dollar bill. Today somebody just took the dollar bill and left nothing behind.

These are the people who don´t understand the whole game. This is the worst trade-down possible and it really annoyed me. What do you think about this and how would you handle this?

You should have said goodbye to everything you put into the cache as soon as you placed it and walked away. It's not worth getting your knickers in a twist over. It's going to happen. That's just one of the hard realities of this. Not everyone who visits will do that, just a handful. Cache on! :)

These are the people who don´t understand the whole game. This is the worst trade-down possible and it really annoyed me. What do you think about this and how would you handle this?

Come on ... forget about it. Let it go and worry about more relavent topics like ... is Martha going to jail ... will Pete finally make the Hall ... will Janet have another wardrobe malfunction ... are the Muppets and Mickey going to get along ... (just to name a few).

The whole trading scenario is an object lesson in fairness. While caching, I use it to teach my kids about being fair with trading. When selecting toys at the house prior to leaving, I remind them to bring something special if they want something special in the cache. Now being 4 and 6, they have little idea of what value is placed on many objects, so when we get to the cache, I tend to put worth on some of the items in the cache they want. Then they decide how many of their toys to give up for the trade item.

Value of items is often in the eye of the beholder. For example, my kids love McDonalds toys, but I have seen in forums where these are the bane of caches. I think I may have traded poorly on some occaisions, but over all I have treated cache items fairly.

A dollar is still a dollar, which was worth more when you put it in the cache than when it was taken out. Money in caches is a strange thing (unless its a Wheres George), but usually something that we usually carry in our pockets. I don't usually trade for it.

The whole trading scenario is an object lesson in fairness. While caching, I use it to teach my kids about being fair with trading. When selecting toys at the house prior to leaving, I remind them to bring something special if they want something special in the cache. Now being 4 and 6, they have little idea of what value is placed on many objects, so when we get to the cache, I tend to put worth on some of the items in the cache they want. Then they decide how many of their toys to give up for the trade item.

Value of items is often in the eye of the beholder. For example, my kids love McDonalds toys, but I have seen in forums where these are the bane of caches. I think I may have traded poorly on some occaisions, but over all I have treated cache items fairly.

A dollar is still a dollar, which was worth more when you put it in the cache than when it was taken out. Money in caches is a strange thing (unless its a Wheres George), but usually something that we usually carry in our pockets. I don't usually trade for it.

I think the dollar had more value, because he is in Germany and it was a U.S. bill.

Last weekend my first cache went online. In my opionion I put some pretty neat stuff in there and I extra made laminated "Souvenir Bagdes" for this cache.

Also it had some (pre €uro) coins und 1 US dollar bill. Today somebody just took the dollar bill and left nothing behind.

Your English is pretty good.

Why not make your cache pages in German and English.

It would certainly help us ignorant Brits when we come across to mainland Europe to geocache.

BTW - like it or not, I can never resist taking dollar bills out of caches. :unsure:

A.

Your English is pretty good.

Why not make your cache pages in German and English.

It would certainly help us ignorant Brits when we come across to mainland Europe to geocache.

BTW - like it or not, I can never resist taking dollar bills out of caches. :unsure:

A.

Thanks :) I will do the translation over the weekend. I only wanted to wait for the first cachers to find the cache and see if I have change anything. Then I make the adjustments in one step. See my other cache GCHJ5M, it already has the english translation.

To be honest: I couldn´t wait to get this cache approved and that why I didn´t bother with the english text. I figured the first visitors would be germans anyway. You see, germans can be far more ignorant than "Brits". :D

BTW, look for the link of the "Stella Alpina" in GCHJ5M. Some "islanders" are going there every year with their bikes. Why not join them? :D

Eat-Sleep-Jeep!

JeeperMTJ

As irritating as it is to hear a dozen forum members tell you to forget about something that has obviously p*ssed you off enough to comment about it here, it is, sadly, good advice. :huh:

There is really no effective way of dealing with geo losers. If you go after them here, its a flame war. If you delete their logs, you are going to get flamed for being a bad cache owner. TPTB can't, or more likely won't, do anything about the geo losers, so you are kind of on your own.

These goobers really got me torqued a few times and it got me high blood pressure, but nothing in terms of a resolution.

Best to focus on the positive experiences of geocaching, like putting together a cache and having a log that compliments your hide or the clever theme or the great view they never knew about. Leave the geo losers to their own pathetic world, and look for friends in the hobby who are neat, interesting people.

Edited by bigredmed
For example, my kids love McDonalds toys, but I have seen in forums where these are the bane of caches

I don't think anybody has an issue with new McToys, in their original wrapper. The problem most people have is with broken and dirty McToys pulled from under the back seat of the car, half chewn by the family dog.

The contents of your cache will change randomly over time. Some people will take something and leave nothing. Some people will take nothing and leave something. Some people will take one thing and leave three. Go revisit the cache after awhile and see what it contains - it's really sort of neat to see that the container has stayed the same and the contents are completely different. As long as the contents are reasonable, don't sweat it.

I have sent polite and diplomatic e-mails to cachers who indicate that took something and left nothing. I find that they are generally new cachers who don't know the "caching etiquette" of actually trading for something you take and are grateful for the information.

:)

If it's an established cacher who should know how things work then they're just being rude. :)

That is my opinion . . . such as it is.

Happy caching and stuff! :D

E-mail the cacher this snippet from the Geocaching FAQ:

What are the rules in Geocaching?

Geocaching is a relatively new phenomenon. Therefore, the rules are very simple:

1. Take something from the cache

2. Leave something in the cache

3. Write about it in the logbook

Where you place a cache is up to you.

Politely remind the cacher the he is in violation of rule #2

I have sent polite and diplomatic e-mails to cachers who indicate that took something and left nothing.  I find that they are generally new cachers who don't know the "caching etiquette" of actually trading for something you take and are grateful for the information. 

:D

If it's an established cacher who should know how things work then they're just being rude.  :)

That is my opinion . . . such as it is.

Happy caching and stuff:)

I was reading the logs for finds in my area today and saw where someone did a lunchtime cache, didn't have a trade item to leave, but took something anyway. And logged it online even! I thought.....Newbie, so I checked.

Nope.

They have been a member almost two years. Someone like that knows better. It wasn't one of my hides, but if it had been: Yes, I think I would politely email them and remind them of the trading guidelines. Not so much because I mind replacing things, (I have already replaced a cache stolen by muggles), but because taking and not giving back is not the right thing to do….. and I am really big on doing the right thing. (Note...Really. I even gave a clerk back $32. this evening because she undercharged me.....pathetic, aren't I?)

192694_1700.jpg

BTW - like it or not, I can never resist taking dollar bills out of caches. :)

I was caching yesterday with my almost 6 year old. She usually decides the trade. Yesterday she decided for the first time to pick coins rather than dumb McToys, and at the end of the day she had $1.05, which bought her a a bag of M&Ms on the ferry home (which I had refused to uy her on the ferry out). It also gave me an opportunity to tell her about John Kennedy, about Helen Keller, and about oxydation of various metals. Coins are trade items just like anything else, and I appreciate it when people leave coins rather than trashy toys.