Momentos

THE SMILEYS

I only take something from a cache if there's something in it that I actually want, in which case I take it to keep. I usually carry a few 'cache goodies' and will replace an item if I take one. Sometimes, if the cache is looking a bit bare, I'll leave an item or two anyway. I no longer take stuff for the sake of it, only to put it in another cache later on.

I only take something from a cache if there's something in it that I actually want, in which case I take it to keep ... I no longer take stuff for the sake of it, only to put it in another cache later on.

Hear hear John! This is one of my pet hates. What's the point of moving cache items around? That's what travel bugs are for. "Treasure" is for keeping surely?

Jane

As others have said, the items in caches are there for taking and keeping, the only proviso being that if you take something then leave something in its place. Many cachers don't like to see items taken just to be placed in another cache. It can be quite disappointing to take trouble to stock a new cache well, only to see people taking items from it just to leave elsewhere.

I have twice taken something just to move it on, but each time it was an item that was too big for the cache and had been left on the ground beside it!

That said, you don't of course have to take anything - you can just sign the logbook and leave it at that if you prefer.

"Hear hear John! This is one of my pet hates. What's the point of moving cache items around? That's what travel bugs are for. "Treasure" is for keeping surely?

Jane "

It wasn't like that when I started, Sep 2001, as there was less than 50 caches in the whole of the UK, you had to travel a fair way to nab one, so the "take an item/leave an item" was to show that you had actually been there, as the log books weren't always regularly checked.

GAZ

I have to say I usually do take something. I dont think I have ever simply moved an item onto another cache though as I take something as a momento of my visit to that cache! Because of one thing and another, I dont get to visit too many caches so every item is treasured!

Personally if you are going to take something from the cache, then you should intend to keep it. When you move stuff from cache to cache, it becomes a bit battered and bashed and starts looking shoddy very quickly. This certainly doesnt help the quality of items in caches imho :smile:

Tiffany