Challenging Math Or Challenging Hiding Spot?

The Weasel

So, do you like to think or do you like to seek?

When it comes to caching, which do you like better. Do you like having to do a bunch of math (and by math I mean algerbra or higher thinking skills) or just being given the way points and having a tricky cache to find.

Myself, I lean towrds the latter of the 2. For me, math was my worse subject in school and to have to break out some algerba or geometry to figure out the coords is a little more than I like to do. I would rather have the coords given to me and have the cache almost being a needle in the haystack to find.

So, what do the rest of you like?

Its about the hunt for me but there has to be a point to it. I managed to put a few hours together Saturday and planned on doing 6-8 geocaches. Ended up doing ten. Although fun running around the city, it was oddly unsatisfying to walk 500 feet from the car and find a rusty tin with a smudged piece of paper in it attached to the only ferrous metal within 100 feet, or a film canister wrapped with duct tape buried under leaves. I appreciate the placement, and am truly thankful to the hider, but it was missing something. I had to end the day with a traditional box and quarter mile walk to make it feel like I went geocaching.

Rather than poking around in leaves and mud for 30 minutes, it would have alot more enjoyable to log as DNF and then come back search another hour to discover a fake drain pipe.

If the math puzzle takes me somplace interesting - vista, artwork, architecture, history - then I see that as part of the hunt. If the math is posed cleverly -

rhyme or riddle - then that is good to. If it's simple enough , I let the kids do it.

Math for the sake of math, just like a cache just for the sake of a cache, isn't fun. Let's just go for a walk in the woods at the end of the road.

Mentally challenging caches are fun, as are physically challenging ones. As above, I skip it even if it's easy math. Math is not my idea of fun.

Math: Skip

Tedious Web research: Skip

Virts, locationless: Skip

Cache page has thousands of words: Skip

EDIT: Add

Micromanaged find (The owner threatens to delete your find if you don’t do it exactly to his/her specifications): Skip

Edited by Criminal

Don't do math caches for a practical reason. The reception on a GPS is not uniform. Yours will vary a little and the variation between Garmins and Magellans can be quite a bit. If you come onto a multi that depends on you solving some detailed math equation, errors in this combined with errors in your GPS combined with errors in the owner's GPS combined with Garmin error could result in a long disappointing DNF.

This is the CACHE I was referring to.

I'm not a big fan of the puzzle caches, but a cache like this in my area would be found pretty quickly by at least 4 people. There is a sub-group of puzzle fanatics who prefer them over all others. check out the puzzles hidden by fizzy - i couldn't find the listing for one where he encoded the coordinates inside the unused portion of a .jpeg file.

That said, I'll try them if they've bumped up to the top of my nearest list. I did this one only because there were mild hints in the logs.

But, like a previous poster, I would prefer a nice hike. Light-pole/seat-post micros are not what got me interested in GeoCaching. The views from Flag Hill yesterday was great. That's what makes me get up and ask "where can I geocache today?"

Oh, I have tried to get revenge though. My son and I hid LeChuck's Frenchmans treasure recently. It is at a nice overlook.

Edited by WalruZ

I like math problems IF I can do the solution before setting out, and IF the objective is a cache I'd be interested in afterwards (i.e., not an urban micro).

Recently I've done three caches that I solved by geometry/trig that the cacher expected to be solved graphically using maps or mapping programs. I found that the GPS errors were inconsequential in all cases. One of these was the Archimedes Spiral cache here in Georgia, which I quite liked.

I wouldn't probably do the 'Hot Crossed Lines' cache someone posted as an example, because I'd have to make one or two trips to find the missing endpoints.

In any case, I prefer regular caches in parks to any other kind, regardless of the clues.

I'll tolerate math in a cache if it's integral to the theme of the cache, but I hate doing math or arithmetic just for it's own sake on a cache. If I do such a cache, then I certainly bitch, bitch, bitch about it in the log!

Especially tedious math-intensive caches get a special treatment - I mathematically encode my log with a non-geocaching code. That way, the cache placer has to work as hard to read my log as I did to find his cache. REVENGE IS SWEET!

See this busy-work math cache, and my log for it.

- Genius Loci

I'll tolerate math in a cache if it's integral to the theme of the cache, but I hate doing math or arithmetic just for it's own sake on a cache. If I do such a cache, then I certainly bitch, bitch, bitch about it in the log!

Especially tedious math-intensive caches get a special treatment - I mathematically encode my log with a non-geocaching code. That way, the cache placer has to work as hard to read my log as I did to find his cache. REVENGE IS SWEET!

See this busy-work math cache, and my log for it.

- Genius Loci

Thank goodness you didn't do that for "Gee, I'm a Tree"...

My eyes would still be crossed... :smile:

Thank goodness you didn't do that for "Gee, I'm a Tree"...
- Cheesehead Dave

Yes, "Gee, I'm a Tree" requires math, but it's not the sort of trivial "busy-work" you'll find at some caches. "Gee, I'm a Tree" involves the hunter in (what is for most of us) a whole new methodology for finding the cache. That's such a refreshing change of pace from the usual, it makes the math seem secondary.

Now, if every Cheesehead cache used that method, 10 - 21,5,25,11,18 - 19,10,22,14,3 - 6,19,5,25,22 - 10,22

- GL

I guess I have to buck the trend here and say that I like puzzle caches, mathematical or otherwise. Some of my favorite caches have involved solving clues encoded using steganography or some other, more obvious, forms of encryption. I like them because it gives me something cache-related to do when I'm sitting at home unable to go caching. Secret of the Hidden Dunes is probably one of my favorite puzzle caches to date. There is a real sense of satisfaction when you solve these puzzles.

Gorak

I like puzzle caches, but that doesn't necessarily mean math. Math puzzles are my least favorite. If the cache itself is the puzzle, so much the better. One of my favorite hides, which has been mentioned in the forums several times lately, was a birdhouse suspended via a series of pulleys and about 200 feet of wire that you had to track. It seems obvious when its described, yet many people including myself arrived at the cache and were stumped as to how to get to it. That's what I like.

When it comes to caching, which do you like better. Do you like having to do a bunch of math or just being given the way points and having a tricky cache to find.

Well, as others have stated, I like a good, challenging hike best of all ... I think many of us use geocaching as an escape from the overload of mental activity and/or pressures we endure daily.

But I like both math puzzles and challenging hiding spots, and I've done my share of both. I learned, however, that all too often people who put a great deal of effort into creating a challenging math puzzle put far too little thought and effort into the actual 'cache adventure.' All too often, one would spend a significant amount of time solving a puzzle for a cache that would be found 'hidden in plain view' at the end of a .18 mile walk over flat terrain through a totally uninteresting, non-descript location. (Like behind the local 7-11.)

But that is probably no more frustrating than looking for 'the needle in the haystack'-type of cache after a challenging hike when the cache is tiny, there is a limitless number of hiding places, and the coordinates prove to be unusually 'soft.'

When it comes to caching, which do you like better. Do you like having to do a bunch of math or just being given the way points and having a tricky cache to find.

Well, as others have stated, I like a good, challenging hike best of all ... I think many of us use geocaching as an escape from the overload of mental activity and/or pressures we endure daily.

But I like both math puzzles and challenging hiding spots, and I've done my share of both. I learned, however, that all too often people who put a great deal of effort into creating a challenging math puzzle put far too little thought and effort into the actual 'cache adventure.' All too often, one would spend a significant amount of time solving a puzzle for a cache that would be found 'hidden in plain view' at the end of a .18 mile walk over flat terrain through a totally uninteresting, non-descript location. (Like behind the local 7-11.)

But that is probably no more frustrating than looking for 'the needle in the haystack'-type of cache after a challenging hike when the cache is tiny, there is a limitless number of hiding places, and the coordinates prove to be unusually 'soft.'

I agree here, except that I enjoy the math MUCH more than the search. I love the hike most. But I find the math to be a fun way to conceal the caches true location. I like to have an easy find as confirmation that I have done the puzzle correctly. The most undesirable thing to me is to have a puzzle cache with a difficult find at the end.

Gorak wrote:

I guess I have to buck the trend here

and say that I like puzzle caches,

mathematical or otherwise. Some of my

favorite caches have involved solving

clues encoded using steganography or

some other, more obvious, forms of

encryption.

Hey man, I am with you. I don't think any of us is going to say "boy I hate the hiking" or "jeez, I hate those amazing views", but some of us are going to dig on the mental challenges and some are not.

It's a hackneyed phrase, but the thought is so darn applicable: can't we all just get along? If you're not into the math stuff and you see a math cache, keep browsin'! I don't think there's a rule stating that you have to do a cache just because it's in your area.

WalruZ wrote:

My son and I hid LeChuck's Frenchmans

treasure recently. It is at a nice overlook.

I live in Washington DC, but I took a look at the hide you mentioned. I must say - I got a real kick out of it! I would never have figured it out without your clue (having never heard of the language in question).

I do however have an observation - shouldn't it be "·-····--···--··" instead of "·-····--···-···"? The area of Stockton referenced in your code is amazingly flat and offers no "nice overlook"!

OK - I'm a geek! I am at peace with my geekdom!

I like math caches - I'm currently upgrading my math skills to version 2.0 so that I can complete Geometry's caches. So far I've relied on solving them on topo. Amazing how quickly you forget math.

I get a kick out of trying to get FTF on math related ones - recently (though no real math was involved) I got FTF on Superbowl XXXVIII. I am stumped on Versica Piscis - just don't see how to start on this one, though I created a great picture on Topo! trying some things out.

We have a lot of math related ones here because of the cacher Geometry.

Math you say? You should see what we have to deal with around the West Palm Beach area -- caches that give clues in Morse Code, caches that require you to 'hack' into a web site to discover a password.....and today this:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...7e-02c0fc01478f

This one is called "Fishin Fool"

If only we just had simple math!

I'm with you -- give me a nice long hike and tough find any day.

Now the consensus on hide versus hike difficulty was either, but not both. Most liked 1/5's or 5/1's over 5/5's or 1/1's. (Bummer to hike for hours and then search for hours too!)

I figured the same here when I made my math puzzle caches, making the hides easier since so much effort went into figuring out the coords.

I also made the first one take advantage of your GPS or map reading skills with minimal math. The second one however is on the moon, and we all know how much math and measuring goes into space travel!

Enjoy,

Randy

PS: I also figure there are enough 'normal' caches already out there!

Edited by RJFerret
The second, however is on the moon, and we all know how much math and measuring goes into space travel!

I like the moon cache, but it looks as if you are using a spherical approximation to the Earth, not the WGS84 ellipsoid. And you also don't include the geoid or the elevation of the cache.

The difference from including those things turns out to be surprisingly large!

I like the practical use of the math there. It's good to make math-based caches have some connection to reality.

I despise the super math wiz caches. I'd rather take a few hours looking for a really deceptive hide than spend that time accumulating numbers and trying to rack the old brain and wake up the spirtit of high school algebra class. There are a few like that in the Chicago area and I probably will never get to them. There are so many caches in this area I can skip those and not feel bad about it. I may be a geek, but not a math geek.