What Is "flaming"

This post is intended to be serious.

I am a relative newbie to forums like this and I am learning "the hard way" how it works. For instance, I have learned that humor and seriousness don't mix well on the same post and things posted as humor will be taken seriously and things posted seriously will be read as sarcastic. I have come to the conclusion that the differentiation must be made ABUNDANTLY clear if one is not to be misunderstood.

(I am stating this as background for my question to show that it is coming from my attempts to understand a new (to me) communication medium. I realize the opening paragraph is off-topic and I am willing to bet that this post gets labelled "trolling" or "posting to inflame" even though its not intend that way.)

Where do we draw the line on "flaming"? I have seen posts labelled as flaming when they just stated the obvious.

Is pointing out an error or misinformation given in a post "flaming"?

Is pointing out an irregularity "flaming"?

Is pointing out a logical flaw "flaming"?

In short, is it "flaming" to criticize another?

It was my understanding that it is only "flaming" when it is an unnecessary "dig" aimed at a personal trait of the poster.

Do we call "flaming" too often on the board?

OK now see theres something else I dont understand.

Now that i look like a total fool for not clicking the link before I responded.

Why did my search not turn up the post on 1-03?

My search results brought up the one I cited as the earliest of my posts.

Do you have a secret stash of old posts that I cannot find in a search?

I knew i had more to learn.

(edit)

So now I search again and find it wazzup with that?

Edited by ChurchCampDave

Simply put, flaming in billboards/forums/notes is to express an anger at some perceived idiocy either directly or indirectly at the individual(s) that pressed the wrong buttons at the wrong time.

The term was originally expressed because the individual that was flamed by another, would tend to feel like their follicles were singed due to the sudden sensation of feeling quite warm either in embarrassment or anger.

==edited to fix some of the bad grammar==

Edited by TotemLake
I am a relative newbie to forums like this and I am learning "the hard way" how it works.

If, after 560+ posts here, you STILL don't know what your doing, you're also a slow learner!

Was that a flame? :mad:

Don't flame him for having 560+ posts and being a noob....I've got...well, I've got a lot of posts, and I've only been here in the forums since the first part of December of 2003.......flame me!!!!!!!! :smile:

I am a relative newbie to forums like this and I am learning "the hard way" how it works.

If, after 560+ posts here, you STILL don't know what your doing, you're also a slow learner!

Don't flame him for having 560+ posts and being a noob....I've got...well, I've got a lot of posts, and I've only been here in the forums since the first part of December of 2003.......flame me!!!!!!!! :smile:

You've been here since November...where'd you learn to count, Sock-Puppet U? :mad:

You've been here since November...where'd you learn to count, Sock-Puppet U? :mad:

Yah, but my first post wasn't until like around the 2nd or 3rd of December, so there, puppetmaster! :mad:

Hey Dave the only problem with humor and sarcasm on message boards is that sometimes it just doesn't translate. Here's my rule:

If you say something and get flamed for it by one user they're probably having a bad day

5 or 6 posters and maybe you've hit a soft spot but then again I wouldn't worry about it. You can't have discussion if everyone agrees and some are more "passionate" for lack of better words than others.

If you set the whole message board system ablaze with angry posters maybe you might want to reread what you wrote and approach it in a more tasteful manner.

Everyone's got their opinions. Anyone who gets that worked up needs a vacation and some sun...

I think "flaming" is mostly attitude and tone of delivery. Unfortunately, attitude and tone don't come across accurately, sometimes. It's always hard to criticize in writing and often humor can be misinterpreted. Obviously personal attacks are flames.

This is a very good question. I think the moderators have to deal with this on an individual basis.

Emoticons can help but the printed word is a powerful thing. :smile::mad:

I gather i am being flamed.

Does this mean you should be warned?

In my opinion, that's for someone else to decide.

Moderators moderate. Users provide feedback on moderation.

So perhaps the ? should be "At what point should the  "flaming" flag be thrown by the umpire?"

Never.

If you're going to post, chances are you're either going to offend someone or say something stupid. in response you're likely to get flamed. This is the nature of things. If you ask for a moderator to respond to something that you brought on yourself, then you might as well revisit what the rest of us learned in grade school:

"No one like's a narc, a teachers pet, a crybaby, or someone who can't take what they deserve."

Now granted, once someone has gone beyond the call of duty in flaming you, to the point where they've taken it to e-mail and have obviously lost all form of self control, how you deal with them is up to you. There's always the make peace or the beat the heck of someone after school off of school grounds, but begging for a flame job and then reporting it isn't going to make you very popular.

We're all adults here. It pays to remember what that means sometimes. If you think someone else is acting like a child, ask yourself how an adult deals with childish behavior from someone that isn't their child.

I think "flaming" is mostly attitude and tone of delivery. Unfortunately, attitude and tone don't come across accurately, sometimes. It's always hard to criticize in writing and often humor can be misinterpreted. Obviously personal attacks are flames.

This is a very good question. I think the moderators have to deal with this on an individual basis.

Emoticons can help but the printed word is a powerful thing. :):)

This is precisely what I'm trying to master in this medium.

Your input is appreciated.

I know I cannot say ANYTHING that cannot be misconstrued, but the ? becomes how can I be clearer in my intent.

I dislike the obvious: spell it out like "This is humor", "This is serious" becaues it has no literary merit, but it seems like it is the only thing that works sometimes.

Beyond that, I'm trying to determine at what point I will have crossed the line in discussing a controversial topic.

Obviously if a comment is directed at a person or group with clear intent of stereotyping in a derogatory manner, it is out of line. e.g. "you yellow jeep lovers are all dumber than a 10 pound sack of rocks."

(Got to go right now will pick up on this thought later- gotta hang up phone line)