Meridian Platinum Lagging

OrthoGuy

Hi fellas,

I have a meridian platinum running Ver. 4.02 and I am experiencing severe lag. When I went to Thales site they have an update 5.12 . I was wondering does this fix the lagging issue? And are any of you having any trouble with this patch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

To answer your last question first, yes you can.

To answer your first question - it appears there is some subjective viewpoints on whether or not the lag is improved or not. By my perception I think it is. Although I did seem to see some wierd lag times yesterday in Gig Harbor, WA, I have noticed improvement over the previous firmware.

To Lag is to Delay. In this case, lagging is about the signal being processed slower than real time, in some cases, by as many as 50 feet at a walker's pace.

Last summer, I noticed at FW v4.02 at 60MPH, the lag was 1/4 mile behind me which ultimately caused a little personal grief in terms of a flat tire because we ended up turning on the wrong dirt road and ended up in a retired apple orchard where the sharpened stumps were a mere 4-6 inches up but just below the level of the local grass. It could've been worse.

It is apparent by the many anecdotes here and the Yahoo group, the formula used to calculate within the Magellan units has been shortened. Magellan of course won't verify this due to the proprietary nature of how the calculations are done. And there are anecdotes on the flipside of the coin to dispute these perceptions.

I can tell you with FW v5.12 on my MeriPlat, the lag is significantly lower (most of the time) and closer to my real time position. I'm estimating at 60MPH about 1/8th mile. What that means to me, is I'm closer to the target with less wait time for the signal calculation process to catch up to my present position so I'm searching in smaller areas nearer and in relationship to ground zero. YMWV

==Edited to clarify==

Edited by TotemLake

When I upgraded to 5.12 I did a little "non-scientific" testing of the lag. I marked a waypoint on a tree stump in the middle of an open field. I then did a GOTO to that point from about a hundred yards away. I walked at a comfortable rate towards the waypoint and continued straight passed it. With 4.02 the MeriPlat would read about 60' as I passed the stump. 5.12 cut that number down to about 20-30'.

Thats very interesting Stunod.... I should give that a try. This weekend I was having a lag of 60 to 80 feet. I love the features of this unit but I have never experienced this type of lag before. The ifinder had almost zero lag but almost no features aka being waterproof which ultimately led to its demise..

Are the Garmin's better in this department?

I have the Meridian GPS and go caching frequently with a friend who has an iQue and another friend who has an eTrex. They are both usually right on track with each other but mine is frequently off by as much as 60'. Some days I am up with them. I haven't looked into upgrading my firmware yet. Can I do it with the bottom of the line Meridian?

Are the Garmin's better in this department?
You may have just opened a can of worms. :unsure:

There is a thread here that discusses the Magellan lag problem (which some call the slingshot effect), and some ways of coping with it. Consensus seems to be that it is a problem with Magellan's internal algorithms. Garmins do not suffer from it. The trade off, some would argue, is that the Magellans get better reception, and hold lock better, especially under trees and in vehicles. We chose the Magellans for the improved reception (especially for the price) in our heavily wooded area, and we work around the slingshot effect. The lag is annoying on occassion, but not as annoying as not being able to get a signal at all. I'm sure other folks have made the decision differently.