Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Couparangus

Garmin Usb Programmer - Home Brewed

Hi guys. I didn't have much luck in the other group with this one. I'd like to brew my own Garmin USB programmer. Does anyone have a schematic of one that they can share? I'll either make my own or fabricate an adapter to use on my CF/mem stick read/writer. I just need zee infomation.

Thanks!

Coupar-Angus

What do you mean by "programmer"? Adding stuff to the USB is not trivial. You need a device with some smarts behind it. I'm guessing a programed PIC at minimum. What more is the 60 is designed to be a "peripheral" not the "computer". As such whatever you connect to it is going to have to do the controlling.

Edited by GeckoGeek

I guess maybe I didn't make myself clear enough. What I have is an eMap with the 32MB memory module. This is a Garmin proprietary interface that fits up inside the battery compartment. I've taken it apart and inside is a very ordinary Samsung flash-ROM IC. Garmin sells a USB programmer for these memory "sticks" that will download map data far faster than the serial port and regular programming cable (mine I home-brewed) plugged into the GPS receiver itself. Having never seen the Garmin USB programmer I was trying to find out a little more technical information about it. If there is a PIC chip I can deal with this (have PIC programmer and can do also various PROMs and uProcessors).

Anybody have one out there?

Cheers!

Coupar Angus

Ah, so what you want to do is build your own 010-10363-00 rather then pay $55 or so to buy it.

In a way, it's like a USB Thumb drive. I looked at a Lexar 64MB one I have next to me. It has a SamSung chip on one side (probably the memory) and a big 25 pin to a side (100 pin total) square SMD Lexar chip.

Even if you do build it, you may have a drivers issue since you've now got to load the chip in a format your eMap will work with.

Sounds like a hairy project. AI quick google didn't turn up any clear winners for web pages and almost nothing in any groups.

I think you're out of luck.

Edited by GeckoGeek

In a way, it's like a USB Thumb drive. I looked at a Lexar 64MB one I have next to me. It has a SamSung chip on one side (probably the memory) and a big 25 pin to a side (100 pin total) square SMD Lexar chip.

I just discovered that my Garmin Mapsource programme will merrily programme a CF card shoved into the drive on my computer. It creates a single directory called "garmin" and within this a file called "gmapsupp.img "

As for home brewing, I'm guessing a passive adapter betwixt the CF and the Garmin is the way to go.

More to come.......

C-A