Hauling The Little One

Team Tecmage

We went out today to grab a couple of caches. After arriving at the parking area for the first cache, Tracy and I realized we didn't have something suitable for carrying Solana (6 months old) while we hiked to the cache.

*Abandon cache hunt at truck* :P

For those of you that hike with small kids (young enough to carry), what do you use? We have a Baby Bjorn, but that somehow doesn't seem adequate in cooler/wet weather. We stopped by Target to look at a backpack carrier, but were not sure about the pros and cons of that.

Any suggestions?

I'm actually researching the same thing right now. I have a 20 month old and my wife works weekends which is when I will be doing most of my caching. I'm pretty sure I've settled on the Cross Terrain Carrier by EvenFlo. Here is a link so you can look at it. http://store.babycenter.com/product/gear/c..._backpacks/4923

That is just one store but at least you have an idea. It has lots of storage so you don't need a separate pack :P Plus it will support Children up to 40 pounds and has features for Parent comfort. It also has a canopy for Rain/Sun Protection. Plus the Price is right.

If you, or anyone else, knows of a better pack/carrier for the price or close to it please let me know. I'm not buying until it gets closer to spring (I don't take my little guy Winter GeoCaching). (Yet :P ).

If the Baby Bjorn is not adequate for cool/wet weather, how is a backpack going to be any better? I always just wore an oversize coat with the Baby Bjorn to encase me, the baby, and the Bjorn. It looked extremely funny, but I had Max out in very inclement weather with no ill effects.

Now the Baby Bjorn is going to be useful to you for only a short time more, because your back just isn't going to take it after a while, carrying them in front when they get heavy. I have an L.L. Bean backpack which is very sturdy, and will take a pretty big kid. I'll sell it to you cheap if you're interested. It is in very good condition. Email me.

I suggest you go to the nearest REI and try a few on. 

Is the new baby ready to start caching, or are you just getting stir-crazy?  :P

Yes and yes. :P Solana hasn't been to a cache since she was a week old. We really like being outside, and haven't had much time to explore our surroundings since moving here six months ago.

To answer your question Balboagirl, the Baby Bjorn fits a little tight around Solana's legs, so putting her in a heavy 'coat' is uncomfortable to her. Plus, she's getting long and lean, so having some more room is desirable. I'll talk to Tracy about the backpack.

Edit- spelling

Edited by Team Tecmage
I'm actually researching the same thing right now. I have a 20 month old and my wife works weekends which is when I will be doing most of my caching. I'm pretty sure I've settled on the Cross Terrain Carrier by EvenFlo. Here is a link so you can look at it. http://store.babycenter.com/product/gear/c..._backpacks/4923

That is just one store but at least you have an idea. It has lots of storage so you don't need a separate pack :P Plus it will support Children up to 40 pounds and has features for Parent comfort. It also has a canopy for Rain/Sun Protection. Plus the Price is right.

If you, or anyone else, knows of a better pack/carrier for the price or close to it please let me know. I'm not buying until it gets closer to spring (I don't take my little guy Winter GeoCaching). (Yet :P ).

Thanks for the feedback!

If the Baby Bjorn is not adequate for cool/wet weather, how is a backpack going to be any better?

The Kelty backpacks have at least on optional weather cover. You don't want to use a backpack, though, until they have good head control. 6 months *might* be early, depending on the child.

I have a Kelty BaseCamp. My 2.5 year-old prefers to hike on her own now, but it was great before she got that attitude. We still force it on her when she's obviously getting tired.

Edited by Dinoprophet

We're onto our second baby now, having almost never used a stroller for the first, even in urban settings. So we have a variety of carrying methods.

For infants, as stated, a sling like the Baby Bjorn is brilliant, but after a time they start to really hurt your back. And the babies just get too big. If Solana's legs are being constricted, it's time for something else.

We have two baby backpacks, for different sizes of baby. From about 6 months onward, we used an Evenflo backpack that doesn't appear to be made any more. One of its real strengths was that it had a padded rim that went all the way around the baby, supporting him in an upright position. Of course, as he got bigger, that became a real weakness - he stopped fitting inside the rim.

So we got a Karimor backpack without any sort of rim for when he was older, but not really ready for long hikes. We used it a lot less than the Evenflo, because he started walking more (and I got pregnant and didn't want to carry him).

I would suggest going into a really good outdoors store and trying lots of them on. Things to look out for:

- A really, really good hip belt

- A reliable way to adjust the spacing between the hip belt and the shoulder straps, unless everyone who will be using the pack is exactly the same height

- Some sort of rain fly/hood (unless, like me, you have a really big golf umbrella)

- Storage space...you'll probably end up using it for diapers rather than cache stash, but you'll need it

- Some capability for the pack to stand up. You can't use these things like high chairs (according to the manufacturers, but I have from time to time), but at the very least you want the pack to stand up while you put the baby in.

- For a small baby, as I stated, a rigid support that goes all the way around her. Then she doesn't have to be as stable a sitter when she starts using it.

When dressing your baby for the backpack, do remember that she'll be further from your body than in the sling, so dress her more warmly.

And one last tip - get a pocket mirror (like a lady's compact) and carry it in a trouser or jacket pocket. Then you can always get a look at what the baby's doing, and get a good game of peekaboo in as well! :smile:

My son is 7 months old and we have been using this MEC Happy Trails Child Carrier

It's fantastic. Light weight, sturdy and infinitely adjustable. The hip straps are wide and comfortable. The shoulder straps adjust in height and width. The aluminum frame gives great weight distribution and support. The optional hood is great for windy and/or sunny days.It also come with a a removable day pack that is great when alone and can be removed so if you have a partner they can carry it.

We also have a Baby Bjorn but find it only suitable for light strolls or malls. This carrier can go up to 50LBS!

I highly recommend a back pack type carrier.

I started using an Evenflo carrier when my son was around six months old. I still use it occasionally, and he's almost three years old. My only complaint is that the carrier weighs around 13 pounds, so now that Teddy is over 30 pounds, it's a lot of weight. Go to REI or EMS and try on some lightweight ones (more expensive) if you are going to use it a lot.

Also note: This is probably obvious to you, but just in case it isn't: be very careful with branches. No bushwacking with a baby on your back!

397448_200.jpg

Last spring/summer, when my son was 5-7 months old, I used a "Baby Bjorn"-like baby carrier (i.e. the front kind) and found it great because you can easily protect your baby from branches etc.

Last summer/fall, when my son was 8-10 months old, he was too big to fit in the front baby carrier and too heavy for my back, so I bought an Evenflo Trail Blazer frame carrier, which is cheap, light, confortable and very stable when on the ground, I'm very happy with it but I have to be more careful with branches. I tried the MEC one and found it very unconfortable. I will restart to use it when snow will have melted.

Something important to remember is that you should not put a baby in a frame carrier (i.e. the back kind) if the baby's back is not strong enough, i.e. if the baby cannot sit without support.

I would advise to stick with the (front) baby carrier as long as you can, because it's light and bushwack-friendly, and then, when baby is too big or heavy, and ONLY if (s)he can sit without support, buy a (back) frame carrier.

Wow!

That is awesome looking set up!!! I bet it also has a pretty awe inspiring price tag. :smile:

We have a jogging type stroller with the three big wheels. (like the center picture above) It works pretty good for most terrian but it has to be a pretty wide trail. We have a Kelty carrier, but havn't used it. It was purchased with me in mind as the wearer but just about the time we would have been able to use it for Lil'Lost One I was restricted from heavy lifting. Now that that restriction has been lifted, he's far to heavy and would rather walk/run on his own.

Last summer/fall, when my son was 8-10 months old, he was too big to fit in the front baby carrier and too heavy for my back, so I bought an Evenflo Trail Blazer frame carrier, which is cheap, light, confortable and very stable when on the ground, I'm very happy with it but I have to be more careful with branches. I tried the MEC one and found it very unconfortable. I will restart to use it when snow will have melted.

I agree with this entirely. We have this carrier and love it. I haven't carried the baby in it caching since she's not able to sit up on her own, but her brother was in it while we were walking the boardwalk and beaches when he was an infant.

You won't know until you try some on. This is great for me, but a friend tried it with their daughter and it didn't fit comfortably.

F_M

There is a neat carrier called a Baby Trekker www.babytrekker.com

As for backpacks, my dh and I packed my ds up to the top of Vernal Falls (Yosemite) at 3.5 months in a Evenflo backpack. He had excellent head control at that point.

Right now my daughter (10 weeks) is in a sling but I am looking at getting an Asian style carrier (check out www.thebabywearer.com) to put her on my back. I have a hard time wtih backpacks because they add extra weight I Can't handle and hurt me.

bmandkids

Our son is 19 months old, and we're planning on using our Ergo carrier for geocaching treks. We've been using it for 8 months or so, general use. I love it. It distributes the baby's weight across your hips rather than shoulders, is easily adjustable, and let's the baby lay against the wearers back (there's no "front". Comes in a easy-to-pack bag, and is super-light weight. And padded to boot.

You can find it at: http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/

We have an Evenflo Trailblazer, and love it. Very comfy! It adjusts quickly for a custom fit for normal me or my short wife. It looks like this:

hp40view.jpg

Got ours at BabiesRus.com. Hope this helps!

Bingo! That's the Evenflo we have (just returned by our friend, whose daughter has outgrown it). Great one - lightweight, comfortable, supports the baby very well.

I could never bring myself to go hiking when my kids were younger, now they're old enough to walk by themselves (They're 3 and 5). However, my son still insists sometimes on being carried on my shoulders. At 3 years, even though he's on the small side, that's too big for a back carrier, isn't it?

check the Kelty brand line. Also try one that has an adjustable harness, these will be more comfortable once fitted to your torso size. This would also give you the option to take turns using the pack. Go to a specialty store that stocks your better back packing gear were they can help you the correct fit.