help me convince the "boss"...

hillbilly steve

Tell her that as a man, you obviously will not stop and ask directions. Therefore, you could POSSIBLY put your family at risk by driving into the wrong areas.

A GPS will just be a "bit of insurance" you won't get lost! LOL

Seriously, I bought mine for $158 after rebates at www.gpsnow.com . I have seen others that got it cheaper thru some price matching deal.

Good luck. You will find the $158 is only the beginning. Then, you are onto topographic software, carrying cases, rechargeable batteries, car adapters, etc. But, don't tell your wife that!!!!

CfC

Counter Fit Cache

...or is it really me????

1st Show her the site....

2nd explain to her its more fun then most things people do, and it gets you outdoors more....

3rd Explain hey if you hate it,we can sell the GPs on Ebay...

4th go with a cheapy etrex yellow to start 89$ with rebate usually, not to much $$$ just to do it a few times with THE BOSS and i think you will get her addicted. then she want to upgrade...lol

See you in the woods!

Natureboy1376

Well, if you're unemployed, & the Legend purchase has to come out of the wifes paycheck, she MIGHT have a point. But otherwise, the fact that you want it is all the justification you need. icon_wink.gif Unless your finances are such that you're on a steady diet of mac & cheese. icon_eek.gif

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life.

Hey Hillbilly Steve,

I too had the same problem. I just bought one though on Saturday with her permission even. I simply took her around showing her the cost of the different models. Next I took her to our local (abilene tx) SAMS wholesale club. I had already seen a package for the Magellan SportTrak Map. The pack comes with the receiver, a case, strap, computer cable, even batteries. It also had the Topo / street cd-rom. Cost is $249.00 but there is a $100.00 rebate. The cd alone is normaly $99.00. After showing her this (and promising her the rebate, I got to choose this as an early b-day present to myself.

Good luck, hope your boss gives in.

It took some talking to get my husband to finally get one. He wanted one himself, just didn't want to spend the money on it. My brother bought one, and I showed him the geocache.com site........told him it was a good way to play with his new toy...........we went to our first cache. And my husband bought his new GPS on the way home. icon_biggrin.gif Geocaches are like potatoe chips.........

Children are natural mimics who act like their parents despite every effort to teach them good manners.

On 3 different occasions I was able to navigate a short path through an unfamiliar city to get to the next shopping location and avoided taking the freeways around the city.

She no longer throws snide remarks when I power-up the GPSr and lay it on the dashboard. I don't watch it while driving. I'll pull over.

icon_smile.gif

Faster, Better, Cheaper

Pick any two.

quote:
Originally posted by hillbilly steve:

so, I saw the etrex legend on sale, but the wife has her foot down until the purchase can be justified. I need some help from you all.

any tips for use are greatly appreciated...

Tell her you are really gonna miss her!

Mike

Gsdvr

Huntsville

quote:
Originally posted by hillbilly steve:

Getting into this GPS & geocahing scene, I am into hiking, biking, climbing, anything outside.

Also serve my community on the fire dept.

I'm assuming you do all those things without your wife. I may be wrong. Tell her this is something the two of you can do together.

My wife rolled her eyes when I bought her/us a gps last year for HER birthday. Then we went geocaching TOGETHER and she really enjoyed it.

I still go biking/geocaching with the buddies. She just get's to go sometimes to.

Oh, I bought my own gps a few months later.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

And with a GPSr, you'll never be without something to do for the weekend. The sights, the places, the time together, it's all good.

Also, tell her you'll be happy to share it with her. She can drive and you can navigate, or you can drive and she can navigate.

Cache you later,

Planet

"To err is human, to forgive....$5.00"

With my new GPS, my girl and I often spend more quality time with each other. This quality time is spent outside, not in front of the TV. This in itself is a big plus. If you have children, add them into the equation and you can see the great impact it will have on your family life. Nothing like getting the kids away from the dead-brain box they call television and enjoying quality "friend" time with the parents.

This geocaching business has been very delightful for the both of us. Most prominent is the fact that I visit beautiful country in my own zip code that I never knew existed. These days I spend geocaching are chalk full of fun at hardly no cost. I spend all my weekends with my girl, hiking through the hills rather then wasting a ton of money trying to keep occupied at a stupid movie theater.

My girl is pretty technical but yours may not be. It will get her on the computer, logging caches and reading the forum (hopefully not this thread). It'll be a good learning experience for her, should she be into learning new things.

Last but not least, there isn't much beer drinking involved in geocaching...

-Let's play Global Thermonuclear War-

A point I haven't seen listed yet is the amount of exercise one can get while geocaching. I have read a couple of threads about how much "weight" someone has lost after just a few months of geocaching. Plus, you get to enjoy beautiful mother nature and explore areas you didn't even know existed.

Also, compared to other hobbies like golf, skiing, racecar driving, investing in dot-com's, etc, a $99.00 GPSr is pretty darn cheap.

I do recommend taking the "boss" with you on the geocaches. My wife and I enjoyed the time together. She is an avid photographer, so she used the opportunity to get some neat pictures. I did make the mistake of taking her on a very difficult cache, and she hasn't been as "eager" to join me since... icon_frown.gif

Anyways, hope everything works out. You'll have to let us know.

Brad

Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now.

boy did I get a few laughs out of this thread...actually she came over to my office as I read thru them, she was rolling.

we both do the outdoor things, along with our 5 mo old (weather permitting). Can't wait to strap nick into the baby kelty carrier, leash up the dog, hand over the GPSr to the wife, and a cachin' we will go!

purchase is JUSTIFIED with all the help here...except had to bring the car into the shop for a quick $300, so the etrex is a little postponed, but at least okayed!

thanks all!

I knew we could convince her. Did I mention I took out a small group of four to introduce them to goecaching. Aunts and uncle and Mom. None under the age of 70. They loved it. I don't think they'll be buying GPSr's but they thought it was neat there was a cache practically in their back yard.

Cache you later,

Planet

"To err is human, to forgive....$5.00"

I got my GPS just 10 days ago, so I know what you're into.

One point no one has brought up, and which might help someone else, since you're already set.

In my homeland Germany I would pay about 1.5 to 2 times what you guys state for the Legend or Etrex. I got the Venture for 169$+tax and am all glad about this, cause in Germany it is about 279$ to 329$ incl. tax.

So, if you're american you can save so much money, it would be a shame not to take advantage of this icon_wink.gif

Happy caching everyone icon_smile.gif

Torsten

The Kraut

*noch so ein Anfnger*

*just another newbie*