Expert Gps

Will+Bill

Most noticeably, an unregistered copy will generate the maps without some of the grid squares filled in. I seem to remember that there is also a time limit (like 30 days) for the trial version. Besides the GPSr, this is the most useful geocaching tool I have purchased.

Tim

What he said.

Please be aware that EasyGPS (without erial photos and maps) is free and usefull.

But I found the cost of ExpertGPS to be well worth it. You can select which caches you want to upload from a map or photo of an area you want to visit.

One of the most significant things it does is allow you to find waypoints within a certian distance of a route. Very useful if you are planning on going on vacation.

The limitation of Expert GPS that I use USAPhotomaps for is a limitation on the number of 1meter resolution photos that you can download. However it has an easier way to download photos.

Also easier to edit and find waypoints on ExpertGPS.

Both have there uses and pluses. I wouldn't be without one or the other.

The limitation of Expert GPS that I use USAPhotomaps for is a limitation on the number of 1meter resolution photos that you can download. However it has an easier way to download photos.

Can you please expand on this a bit? I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say. I'm an ExpertGPS user, and am unaware of any type of limits like you mention.

Can you please expand on this a bit? I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say. I'm an ExpertGPS user, and am unaware of any type of limits like you mention.

My assumption is that they are referring to the free demo version.

I cover a very large part of Kansas and Missouri for my job. In ExpertGPS if you start downloading photos there is a limit on the number of photos that can be accessed. There are many places on my map that I can have a 2 meter photo but get a Map Server Error at 1 meter. I was told by the developer that this was because I had too many photos in the directory. I am trying to find a way to circumvent this by creating different directories for each section of the map but haven't figured out the area that I can cover yet.

Also I am running the paid version of ExpertGPS

Edited by webscouter495

The operating system definately could be the problem. What are you running? 95, 98, 98SE, ME, NT4, 2k or XP? I don't remember what the limit for a FAT filesystem is, but I remember that they bumped it up in FAT32. NTFS will let you have even more. I'm attempting to create 10 million files in a directory right now on XP. I'll let you know where it fails. :)

I think it has to do with the number of map tiles in a directory. I just need to figure out a good way of setting up my directory structure. How do you do it?  I just need to remember that you can't put so many pics in a directory.

Dan didn't say if it was by design or a programming limitation.

I did not set up any type of directory structure. I created one folder, told the software that's where I wanted the files, and it creates it's own structure.

They are sorted first by type (topo or aerial), then by UTM zone, then by scale.

I was told by the developer that this was because I had too many photos in the directory.

There's a limit of approximately 65000 files per folder on FAT32 file systems. NTFS does not have this limitation. Because ExpertGPS stores image tiles by UTM zone, if you attempt to retrieve all the 1 meter/pixel images for a state like California, you can end up with a folder with 65000 images in it.

This is a design flaw in ExpertGPS. (as far as I know, all the other programs that use Terraserver have this flaw, and some of them are even worse - storing all data in the same folder) Unfortunately, the fix would involve creating a new structure for storing map images on disk, and would impact all ExpertGPS users. I'm still in the design stages of a solution.

Edited by topografix