Geocaching History!

maxd1

Has anyone else read the geocaching history. So basically Jeremy started all this. Wow. Thanks Jeremy. Its amazing that this game hasnt been going on all that long and yet we have tons of members. Wether that is good or bad, i dont know, there are pros and cons in both ways. But back to my point. Lets all thank Jeremy because if it wasnt for him, most of us, if not all of us, wouldnt be here. So THANKS Jeremy.

Warning: Nitpick ahead.

Jeremy (and the others at Groundspeak) have put a lot of hard work, time and committment into Geocaching.com. However, Jeremy did not start Geocaching. Another gentleman placed the first cache in May of 2000. Mike Teague found it a couple days later, and helped run a very basic listing service until the number of caches grew to too many for the type of list they had. Jeremy helped the database go online in October of 2000 (is that right the right date?).

This in no way diminishes the effort put forth by Jeremy and his helpers, and they are indeed deserving of our thanks and appreciation.

Jeremy Irish of Seattle, Wash., is among the sport's creators. He calls geocaching, "The sport where you are the search engine."

The joys of GEOCACHING

Internet-driven sport sends players off on scavenger hunts with GPS devices to guide them

By LISA PALMER, Standard-Times correspondent

The database was available in July, 2000, but Mike Teague officially passed the baton to me around August 1. At that time I had hand-entered the 75 known cache listings in the database. For the next few months I hand-entered all the cache listings myself until I could spend some time to create a system where others could post their own listings. Even today there are a number of active caches of which I have yet to find the original owners.

Thanks for the clarification, Markwell. Dave Ulmer had the original idea to hide a bucket in the woods and post the coordinates online with one basic rule: If you take an item, leave an item. You know the rest... of the story.

Jeremy Irish of Seattle, Wash., is among the sport's creators. He calls geocaching, "The sport where you are the search engine."

The joys of GEOCACHING

Internet-driven sport sends players off on scavenger hunts with GPS devices to guide them

By LISA PALMER, Standard-Times correspondent

To be more accurate;

On May 30, a new name was coined for the hobby. Matt Stum suggested "geocaching" to avoid the negative connotations of the word "stash".

For more inforation you should read Geocaching History.

Edited by Keith Watson
For more inforation you should read Geocaching History.

For those of you who have not yet followed the link, please, oh, please follow it and read the page. As far as I know, a better, more complete example of how not to write in these forums has never been uttered. That was the biggest load of blatantly belligerent bias that I have read this side of PETA vs. [whomever]. It made my day!

I think I'm going to stop what I'm doing right now to go e-mail SCO to tell them they may as well drop their suits if they don't go right now and sign the author of said link to join their team. SCO's current legal team just doesn't have the finesse displayed in this wonderfully entertaining page.

Seriously, though, the page does illustrate one very important point. Everyone has detractors, and since it is trivial for anyone to setup a web site, you've got to be sure you know the bias. In the case of that link, it's trivial to see the bias, but in the case of others, it may be obscured or at least displayed with some measure of tact. Always be sure you get "the rest of the story", as Paul Harvey would say.

Just to echo Clayjar's comment - for those who don't know, that page was written by someone with a very large axe to grind. It cannot, by any means, be considered an objective account.

Yep,spot on ClayJar! Definitely BBB!

It would appear "the author" is unfamiliar with the term "Hypocrite"

Dave Ulmer had the original idea to hide a bucket in the woods and post the coordinates online with one basic rule: If you take an item, leave an item. You know the rest... of the story.

Got an important question. At what point has it been decided that the 'take something, leave something' rule doesn't apply to travelbugs? I've never seen anything explicitly stated about this in the official materials of this site, but it is frequently stated in the forums that t-bugs are for grabs rather than for trading. Anybody could markwell me to the roots of this major exception to the original basic tenets of the sport?

Another, less important but still curious, things remain totally unclear to me after reading this thread and the links contained in it. Whatever happened to the 'Creator's' forums messages? Are they lost for good, or archived someplace?

TBs are not items you would keep, so no need to trade for something that you're just going to dump anyway. :smile:

As for the original messages, there's a yahoo! group for those (formerly egroups from way back when). Do a search for the "gpsstash" group. Interesting to read how everything took shape just a few short years ago. Also interesting to read that they had brief periods of "disagreement" as well. :mad:

(Here is the direct link to geocaching.com.)

That was a fascinating look back. I think the most interesting thing is that for at least the home page it has not had a face lift in over three years.

And yes I find it difficult to just take at face value statements like something is biased and basically a load of crap without anything to back that up. That page was full of links to follow and for those that I did they all seemed to back up the story as told. If there is more to it than meets the eye then yes, give us the rest of the story. I would like to have all the details I can and then I can make up my own mind who is full of it.