Multi-cache (offset Cache) Question

~Jay~

I'm hunting my first cache. I looked at the topics here but didn't find the answer, and haven't found it elsewhere (so I have looked a bit).

In a Multi Cache, there's a hint that leads on. What physical shape might this hint be? A piece of paper? Will it traditionally be well hidden (under leaves, in a tree, or what?). It strikes me that it's probably not paper, because that could be considered trash and possibly picked up by some well-meaning person. And it couldn't be too obscure, like coordinates written on the back of a leaf, because that'd be practically impossible.

So are there any hints someone can offer? I searched an area for about 2.5 hours today, with zero luck. The GPS I am using is quite outdated, but it got me in (what I thought was) the right area.

So can you make suggestions? If there are topics that discuss this, pointing me to them would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

In a multi-cache, the stages might be anything from a clue on a sign, a small micro cache with a note in it, or a larger traditional cache. You're best bet for advice on a particular cache would be to e-mail the cache owner and ask for another clue. It's not against the rules, and most cache owners are more than happy to help, especially newer players. E-mails to the owner help the owner become aware of any potential problems with the cache too. It could be that the first stage was found and may need to be replaced.

Because of the complexity of multi-caches in general, I might suggest a different traditional single-stage cache as your first hunt. After you find a few regular caches, you'll get a feel of how they are hidden and it might make the multi easier.

Good luck on your hunts!

Just finding a good location for a decent cache can even be difficult. Then combine that with all the steps to create a good multi or offset cache your problems are only begining.

I've done a few multis and I'll usually use existing numbers from other caches or road signs and use those numbers to create the final waypoint. This summer I'm planning on doing one that will have the coordinates hidden high and low in a remote section that has only 1 road in to the parking area, so cachers are going

to know more than just follow the arrow.

The different legs can take many forms, and yes, they can be written on the back of a leaf (or similar - there's one like that near here).

I'd suggest not going for a multi as your first. I tried that and got equally frustrated. Try something a little more conventional (1/1 traditional) for your first few, then move up to the more difficult/complex caches once you've got a few under your belt.

Welcome to the addiction. :P

Well I went back (for more punishment :P ) to the same result. Could be that the coordinates I have (from my GPS) are vague enough that I'm not even in the right area (as in, not even within 100 feet). Or it could be that I'm just blind :| . Anyway, like most of you have said, I've contacted the cache placer via email.

As for starting out with something other than a Multi... well, too late, cause I already started on this multi :P . Nearest regular Cache is not nearly as close as this one...

All in all it's fun, so that's good. I even had some cool stuff with me to "trade" with the cache (or just donate, I'm not particular [well, usually, anyway]). There's always tomorrow.

Also can someone tell me what the abbreviations are for

Took Garbage, Left Pride?

Thanks for your help!

Edited by ~Jay~

Post the waypoint (GCXXXX). There might be something written that you are missing in the description. Each leg can be any of a number of different hide methods. Maybe we could help without giving anything away, if we knew the waypoint number. I agree with the others that you might be less frustrated with finding a traditional or two before you try a Multi. Don't give up! :P

Took garbage - Left Pride = CITO (Cache in / Trash Out)

Edited by Tiwica

The waypoint: GCGY2W

I know the owner said the waypoint was moved (by him), but I used the coordinates given, as I'm sure those would have been updated when the cache was moved. Vandals ruined the first location.

Any help would be most appreciated, because I'm going to take another shot at it tomorrow. :P

Thanks!!

I looked at the cache page....No clue there....I believe you will find it is probably a micro container at the given coordinates, or possibly written on the backside of a post or maybe under a bench....Could be anything really...I know I didn't really help, sorry! But the coordinates should put you fairly close, I would guess. I've never found any that were too far off

Ah well, I'm sure the coordinates are right on. Like I said, the GPS I'm using is quite old (one of the three satellite ones) so I'm painting with broad strokes here anyway...

As for the cache being on a sign or under a bench or something like that... I really didn't see anything of that sort in the area. Some light poles, some raised sewer drains, all of which I thoroughly inspected. Other than that... nothing.

Well, I'll keep looking. I have to say, taking so much trash out (maybe 3 or 4 bags) made me feel pretty good anyway.

... the coordinates should put you fairly close, I would guess.  I've never found any that were too far off

Of course, if the coords were too far off, you wouldn't have found it anyway. :P

We have a local multi nearby that has coords imprinted into a heavy steel or aluminum foil. Said foil is adhered to an aluminum lamp post, making it nearly invisible, even if you're looking for it. Other methods I've seen include etched coords on a dog tag/metal disc, coords inside a mechanical pencil lead holder (think really, really small), and the ubiquitous 35mm film can.

From the cache logs, I'd almost have to think it IS a container of some kind, but I'd pick something a little easier than a 2.5/2.5 for a first time.