AT Backpacking Event

Waterboy

AT Backpacking Event

After discussing this with several cachers, we would like to know who would be interested in an Appalachian Trail (AT) backpacking overnight hike. The current plan (subject to change due to comments by other cachers or the weatherman) is:

1. Meet Saturday morning in Duncannon, Pennsylvania, at the AT trailhead.

2. Spot some geo-chariots at the end of our journey at the Route 850 AT parking area.

3. Hike about 3 miles (uphill) and find Cove Mountain Twenty-Dollar Cache.

4. Make tent camp and prepare and eat dinner. (The reason we will not plan to stay at the shelter is that AT through hikers have first preference there, and the area should be ready for them.)

5. As darkness approaches we will hike another mile to prepare for and find the Cove Mountain "Lights-in-the-Night" Night-Cache. Then return to camp.

6. On the following morning after breakfast and cleanup we will descend to route 850. As an option we may look for two other caches, Cove's Measure and Cove's End.

7. Shuttles to pick up geo-chariots left in Duncannon

If you are interested in attending and do not have a tent or other needed equipment please notify us. We have some extras.

Everyone would be responsible for his/her/their own food.

We are thinking of this for May 1 & 2, but other dates are open to suggestions.

Edited by Waterboy

If the dates work for me, I'm in! Depends on the soccer team's schedule. We could probably blow off practice on Saturday and if the game is late on Sunday, we could make this. An early game would probably rule out our attending.

If we can go, I have extra equipment for anybody who needs. Backpacks, tents, stoves, etc...

Edited by briansnat

Geo Ho and I could be interested in something like this, depending on actual dates involved. May 1-2 is a Sunday-Monday, btw. In any case that weekend is out for us, as I already have plans for GH's birthday that weekend. Any other weekend is dependent on if we have her son that weekend or not. He's (usually) a good kid, but wouldnt be up for that sort of hike. Don't make any special accommodations for us, if it works, we'll try and make it, if not, we'll try for the next one.

[edit] DUH! I Cant seem to read a calender properly, WWW is right, I'm wrong. Thanks Harrald, for pointing out what a dumb@ss I am! :P

Edited by Mopar

I think I have a chance at going you folks. My wife and daughter would stay at a nearby hotel while The Bardmin and I go backpacking. We've also got some extra gear if anyone is missing something.

One question though. Is there a water source near the campsite? It would lower the pack weight quite a bit if all I need is a filter.

One question though. Is there a water source near the campsite? It would lower the pack weight quite a bit if all I need is a filter.

The AT guide for Pennsylvania informs me that there is an intermittent spring nearby. We are planning to go to the area and scout/check it out shortly before the hike to confirm this.

Very Tempting. Most of my gear is designed for day hiking. I'll have to see where I stand financially or see if anyone has spare gear I could borrow. I can see I am going to have to spend some time surfing the Sierra Trading post site.

We have one extra 2 man tent and an extra 1 man tent. We will take these tents out and set them up as soon as our backyard is dry to verify their status. We have additional equipment also. Let us know what you need and we, or others will try to help.

This definately sounds like the makings of a fun event. I'll have to find a backpack (I've been wanting to get one for a while, since my last one wasn't returned after I loaned it out) but I think I have almost everything else I should need, as long as I can find someone to plan meals with/cook together......put me down as a definate maybe :smile:

Please let me apologize since I have not had time to check everything out yet. Within the next two weeks I will make a trip to Cove Mountain to check out some things. Mainly:

1. Parking Areas at both ends

2. Good tenting areas near the shelter

3. The spring

4. Methods to protect our food, toothpaste, shampoo and other edibles from four legged, hairy, uninvited visitors

5. Any other possible hazards

I am particularly concerned with the tenting area, since we have a number who replied. (Some have notified me by email).

Note to JandM – I will forward you a camping check list. I will also forward a copy to any who request it. Please note that I may make some minor changes after scouting Cove Mountain.

Waterboy With Wife

We went to the area today. There is a parking problem at the north end of the section we desire to hike. Re-cycling dumpsters are located in parking area listed in cache description.

At the south end of the section there are two State Game Land parking lots. There is a small lot right at the intersection of route 850 and the Appalachian Trail. A large one is about a half mile east on route 850.

We will try to locate more parking in Duncannon. If none can be located the hike will start and end at 850.

Briansnat,

1. Concerning the dates, since no one else mentioned anything yet. Any suggestion, this is your last chance.

2. The shelter, and most of the hike is on State Game Land (SGL). I do not believe there is any restriction on size of group. Right now I am trying to find an answer for you.

It is late now. Will include more detail on what I saw in the area shortly.

Also, with the large number of people interested, you might have to check regulations in the area.  I know many places require permits for groups over a certain size (usually 8, or 10), or ban them outright.

Brian, I could not find anything on the web, so we decided to check the lists of regulations at one of the AT SGL parking areas. We picked the SGL 168, south of Palmerton. Item 29 on there list says:

It Shall be unlawful to:

29. Engage in an activity involving more than ten persons, which may conflict with the intended purposes or uses as defined in Section 722 of the Act (relating to use of property), or poses a potential environmental or safety problem.

This does not look good. Although someone may argue the AT was intended to hike and the shelter was intended for overnight use. Also I have seen Boy Scouts, clubs and others who use the trail in larger groups camping overnight.

If anyone knows more about this, please comment. Thank you in advance.

We intend to obey the regulations. We will not list this as an event cache, but will plan to go and limit the number of people who accompany us.

Brian, thank you for the request.

For all, please accept my apologies.

An idea. If the group is going to be large, break it in two and have half start at one end, and the other half start at the other. Along the way group A can scout out good campsites for group B, marking the waypoints, and vice-versa. When the groups meet, they can spend a long lunch together...then exchange car keys (this is important) and head off to one of the campsites picked out by the other group.

Then there is a car available at each end for the both groups and no need for a car shuttle. Eveyone can then assemble at a central location to get their own cars back.

Edited by briansnat

However, as we all see when hiking the trail - people are constantly meeting new people or groups and joining together for a day's hike or to share a campsite at night. Being as we're only going for a weekend trip, there's nothing preventing us from organizing as 2 or 3 smaller groups and "conveniently meeting" at the trailhead and spending a weekend hiking and camping together. I have also seen large youth groups, scouts, etc. hiking and camping together. ~ and I've never in all my years seen the Trail Police. :D Really - we have NO bad intent here, so it really shouldn't be a big deal.

While doing a bit of research I came across a note for New York state parks. Maybe if we can figure out who the ranger for this area is we could get a one time use permit for more people. I'm not familier with the PA park system. I'll do what I can to try and dig out the name though.

Groups of ten or more persons or stays of more than three days in one place require a permit from the New York State Forest Ranger responsible for the area.

Harrald,

Thank you. In Pennsylvania there is more than one commissioner. The State Parks and State Forests are run by the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR). The hike is on State Game Land (SGL) administered by the State Game Commission (PGC). In particular the hike is on SGL-170.

If anyone would like a copy of the PGC map for this plot in PDF format.

Waterboy With Wife

it looks like i will be going alone. :blink:

joe is anticipating homework load and may have to work one of the days. the whip of the slavemasters of corporate americe cracks once again...

maybe i can come back with some awesome tales and pictures to convince him he must go on the next trip!

~melissa

I would like to ask all those who are interested in this backpack to please email me. The meeting spot will be the Route 850 parking area for the Appalachian Trail (N 40º19.309’ W077º4.685’ ). Please let me know the following:

1. How many in your group.

2. Where you will be coming from, and approximate time it will take to drive to the meeting spot.

3. Your experience with backpacking. IF YOU NEVER BACKPACKED THAT IS FINE. We would like to introduce you to this wonderful activity.

4. Any equipment you may need?

5. Do you have any medical problems or allergies that we should be aware of?

Please note that we expect to be out backpacking this weekend, (April 23-25) and will not be able to respond to questions.

Last Thursday and Friday we were at Cove Mountain, scouting out this area. Water in the springs near the shelter was excellent. The only problem we had is that I cannot find what looks like safe overnight parking near at the north end (Duncannon) of Cove Mountain. I am planning on an in out from the south end (Route 850).

Waterboy With Wife

I am bummmmmmed. Its after midnight and I just packed up my books from studying, and walked out to the edge of my woods. Its warm, the moon is big and bright, there are wispy clouds floating in the sky around the stars and Venus is gleaming. Its a perfect night to be on Cove Mountain, and i'm home, studying hemolytic anemia. I better get an "A".

Edited by Ce'Nedra

This past weekend Waterboy With Wife was joined by six others on an exciting overnight backpack. Also on the trip was retphoto, and Snowflower. Snowflower brought with her four friends.

The trip was highlighted by good company, good caches, plenty of fun, and a heavy downpour and soaking overnight.

We would appreciate it if anyone can suggest some other backpacking/camping/caching trips.

Waterboy With Wife

I really can't say enough about how much I enjoyed this hike. I've been dying to make it out to a cache event for almost a year now, and it just never seems to work out. Even though this wasn't an official event, it was the first time that I ever got to meet new cachers, hike and cache with them, but most of all chat about geocaching! ~ Super kudos to Waterboy for putting this whole thing together. Thank you again for putting so much time and thought into organizing what turned out to be a superb and successful hike. It was such a pleasure meeting you and your wife. Your conversations entertained me both on and off the trail. And it's always great to meet other people who also enjoy the outdoors. ~And then there was Retphoto. Another great personality for this hike. YOU CRACK ME UP!! I loved your sense of humor, and enjoyed chatting with you about the forums and all the geo-gossip.[:ph34r:] Thank you all for allowing me and my friends to share in this experience with you. Here's hoping that we all can do it again sometime soon!!