programs

jason924

i just got a garmin gps12. i have the newest software, but i was wondering if there are any more programs for it. such as a map layout program. my friend has and older garmin and it has highways on the map for refference. also i can only get to .1 mile from a location. my friend's switches to feet after it gets closer. is this just my unit, or can i get some programs that help with this? (he got his used so i don't know if his a step up, or if it is just the programing.

Sounds like his is a step up. I have a 12 also and it's been discussed here a few times that you can not change to feet... .01 mile is it. Also with the 12 you can not add mapping programs... it's the basic but it's a good little unit out in the woods for a starter....expecially if your a klutz like me and keep smashing it into rocks...it keeps on ticking! Good Luck!

We have a Garmin 12 also, and use it almost exclusively in the metric mode. We find it easy to translate between metric and feet that way, and it also helps reinforce the metric system with our kids. When it shows .01 on the screen, that is 10 meters, or roughly 10 yards. At that point we often get the "dancing arrow" that you get with most GPSr systems, anyway. When we need greater accuracy, we go to the screen where we can compare digits searching for with actual location, and that gets us to within about 6 feet. It is all a matter of learning your own system. icon_smile.gif