An Apology To Gorak, Robertm And Jomarac5

BeDoggy

I want to offer an apology to you guys for the way I mishandled the offering of my opinion on Gorak's thread, titled "What would you do?"

Although I still believe that many of the general points I made are still valid, the way I handled it was wrong. Having met all three of you I can say that you are a good bunch, and my criticism was far too harsh, judgemental and lacking in respect.

As for bringing up things that were said in confidence and in person, I deeply regret doing it and will not do it ever again.

I think that those who have met me would say that what I said in those posts is not characteristic of the way I usually do things. And although I know the personal reason why I got so unreasonable I won't use it as an excuse here.

There was no excuse, and I offer my apology in good faith, hoping that you will accept it in the spirit in which it was given.

Brent.

I want to offer an apology to you guys for the way I mishandled the offering of my opinion on Gorak's thread, titled "What would you do?"

Although I still believe that many of the general points I made are still valid, the way I handled it was wrong. Having met all three of you I can say that you are a good bunch, and my criticism was far too harsh, judgemental and lacking in respect.

As for bringing up things that were said in confidence and in person, I deeply regret doing it and will not do it ever again.

I think that those who have met me would say that what I said in those posts is not characteristic of the way I usually do things. And although I know the personal reason why I got so unreasonable I won't use it as an excuse here.

There was no excuse, and I offer my apology in good faith, hoping that you will accept it in the spirit in which it was given.

Brent.

Hi BeDoggy,

Not exactly sure how to handle this as I've never spoken to you, directly or via e-mail, so I'm not sure what I could have said in confidence to you that you brought up.

We have met, but I don't think we spoke. That was at the Belcarra Event. I don't recall telling you anything in confidence there either.

The criticism of me is based on your opinion (probably from the GC.com and BCGA forums), and everyone is entitled to their opinion. Maybe an apology for bad-mouthing me based on your opinion would be more appropriate.

I'm still rather confused as to what exactly you are apologizing for. It seems you are apologizing for the way you done something, not because you did it.

Robert

Like RobertM, I'm fuzzy on what you are apologizing for. From your apology, it appears that you are apologizing for the method in which you delivered your commentary, yet stand by your comments comparing us to children, accusing us of "ruining cache events" (I wasn't aware that we ruined the Belcarra event for anyone) and your general overall disgust with us. Given that I haven't lost any sleep over your comments, or even given them a second thought, I have no problem accepting your apology in whatever spirit it was intended. I appreciate the gesture and harbour no hard feelings.

Gorak

As for bringing  up things that  were said in confidence and in person, I deeply regret doing it and will not do it ever again.

Brent.

Hi BeDoggy,

Not exactly sure how to handle this as I've never spoken to you, directly or via e-mail, so I'm not sure what I could have said in confidence to you that you brought up.

We have met, but I don't think we spoke. That was at the Belcarra Event. I don't recall telling you anything in confidence there either.

The criticism of me is based on your opinion (probably from the GC.com and BCGA forums), and everyone is entitled to their opinion. Maybe an apology for bad-mouthing me based on your opinion would be more appropriate.

I'm still rather confused as to what exactly you are apologizing for. It seems you are apologizing for the way you done something, not because you did it.

Robert

I realized after I wrote what I did that You were not there when a bit of gossip started up at the Belcarra event. You were up with the main group with your sister.

As for my opinions, they are not my only my own. There IS frustration among some cachers in this area about the forum fights, ect that have happened in the last few months. I am not the first to express frustration about it either.

I said in my apology that I still believed "many" of my points were still valid.

Not "All"

I've admitted I was wrong in the way I approached it, and am glad you took the time to respond.

Thanks.

Like RobertM, I'm fuzzy on what you are apologizing for. From your apology, it appears that you are apologizing for the method in which you delivered your commentary, yet stand by your comments comparing us to children, accusing us of "ruining cache events" (I wasn't aware that we ruined the Belcarra event for anyone) and your general overall disgust with us. Given that I haven't lost any sleep over your comments, or even given them a second thought, I have no problem accepting your apology in whatever spirit it was intended. I appreciate the gesture and harbour no hard feelings.

Gorak

It is stated clearly that I was apologizing for criticism that was "far too harsh, judgemental and lacking in respect." As in saying you were acting "like children"

I never said you "ruined" the event at all. Just that some gossiping and negative comments happened at the event. Remember? A bunch of us held back from the main group at the end of the hike? Most people at the event wouldn't have been aware of it, and yes, a good time was had by all, myself included. I only meant to point out that while some are willing to gossip about people who are not there to defend themselves, there are others who are not, and that I see that as a sign of character. Notice that i did not exclude myself from being one of the gossipers, and in fact stated that " I left the door wide open" for the other cacher in question to gossip about you guys. I'll state plainly that I tried to get the other cacher to gossip, but he refused. And to tell the truth, I was shamed by that, and resolved not to do that anymore.

The spirit I intended was that I intend to give all the benefit of the doubt from now on, rather than jumping to conclusions, and that I don't intend to hold grudges or make an enemy of anyone. I intend to treat all the way I would want to be treated. But I still have opinions about the goings on in the area. Perhaps they are uninformed. If anyone wants to educate me I would be willing to listen, provided that the information was factual and presented in good faith.

I realized after I wrote what I did that You were not there when a bit of gossip started up at the Belcarra event. You were up with the main group with your sister.

As for my opinions, they are not my only my own. There IS frustration among some cachers in this area about the forum fights, ect that have happened in the last few months. I am not the first to express frustration about it either.

I said in my apology that I still believed "many" of my points were still valid.

Not "All"

I've admitted I was wrong in the way I approached it, and am glad you took the time to respond.

Thanks.

Hi BeDoggy,

Correct, I did not gossip at the Belcarra event. I did not even know people gossiped at the event until you said so now.

Not sure what frustration there could be with me. I've looked at my forum posts here on GC.com going back to about Christmas time (back 2 months) and see no "forum fights" that I've been involved in. Perhaps you could point them out to me as I have no idea what you are referring to.

I don't see how ANY of your points are valid towards me. Apology accepted though, for what it's worth, as you don't appear to be apologizing for saying things about me that certainly aren't true, just they way you approached it.

Thanks

RobertM

Hi BeDoggy,

Correct, I did not gossip at the Belcarra event. I did not even know people gossiped at the event until you said so now.

Not sure what frustration there could be with me. I've looked at my forum posts here on GC.com going back to about Christmas time (back 2 months) and see no "forum fights" that I've been involved in. Perhaps you could point them out to me as I have no idea what you are referring to.

I don't see how ANY of your points are valid towards me. Apology accepted though, for what it's worth, as you don't appear to be apologizing for saying things about me that certainly aren't true, just they way you approached it.

Thanks

RobertM

I could dig into this and go around and around over it, but I won't. I've taken pains to try and apologize to all of you, but you don't seem to want to let it go.

That the three of you and another cacher are often at odds with one another is common knowledge, and it seems to some (not only me) that the three of you are very willing for everyone to think the worst of him. So I posted and criticised and was wrong to do so in the way that I did. I've also admitted that I may also be wrong in the substance of my post as well as in form, and that I'm willing to listen and be educated as long as it's factual and in good faith.

So what more do you want?

Do you want me to retract what I said completely? I could do that, but it wouldn't be honest. If I come to see that I'm wrong in everything I said, I will certainly retract everything I said. I'll have no problem with that.

Having said that, I think there is nothing else to say.