Our Bug Is Not Missing...but????

weRlostNDwoods

We placed a travel bug in one of our caches that was picked up around the first of December. The people who took it are new to Geocaching, and never logged that it had been taken, therefore, it's still showing as bing in our cache! We e-mailed them around the first of January, asking about the status of it. They said they were going to place it soon. It's now nearing the end of February, and no new news from them, or our patriotic traveler. We're planning on giving them a little more time. Just wondering, how much time is a person allowed on replacing a travel bug???? Like I said, it's still showing in our original cash, as it's not been posted on Groundspeak? Any suggestions? :lol:

Snoogans' TB longevity strategy #5. If you must email a TB holder to do anything other than thank them, DO NOT give an order, or be even the slightest bit negative. Sugar coat every word. Do not transfer your standards and expectations to another person. Unless you are related, you do not really KNOW their situation.

Sn :lol::lol:gans

The owner of the bug, I didn't check if it was you, should move the bug to 'unknown location' on the bug's web so it moves off of the current cache inventory. The way it's supposed to work is, when the bug is placed again, the bug will continue where it left off, as opposed to moving it to the graveyard, which is a physical location and adds many miles if the bug resurfaces.

Edited by brad.32

I had this same situation with a new cacher. I emailed them, mentioned that after they take a bug they also need to grab it. I offered to help them with the process. They admitted it was a bit confusing and ask for help.

They grabbed the bug and later released it. Unfortunately, not all turn out this well.

Good Luck...

The owner of the bug, I didn't check if it was you, should move the bug to 'unknown location' on the bug's web so it moves off of the current cache inventory. The way it's supposed to work is, when the bug is placed again, the bug will continue where it left off, as opposed to moving it to the graveyard, which is a physical location and adds many miles if the bug resurfaces.

Can you explain how this is done??

I've seen a couple listed in unknown locations, but AFAIK someone at the contact address had to move it there.

It used to be that you had to e-mail TPTB at Groundspeak to get the bug kicked to "unknown location" to get it out of a cache, but they recently added the functionality to the travel bug page. If you go to the page of one of YOUR OWN travel bugs, look in the upper right of the bug's page. Under the "Travel bug options" where the below the link to add a log entry you'll see a drop-down box. The default option in that box is "recalculate distance" but there are also options there to "mark bug missing" and "move to last location" select "mark missing" and hit GO