What's Wrong With The Map On New Caches?

Turtle3863

Before new caches are "run through a process that embeds the regular map," they get their map from the Census Bureau's Tiger Map Server. This server has been down for about a day now.

I seem to remember reading somewhere on that site that the Tiger service may go away someday since they have a newer different service that they are embracing now. Hopefully that "someday" isn't here yet and they are just experiencing temporary problems.

tiger.census.gov is refusing the connection for me, which is probably why the tiger maps aren't showing up any longer. (There is nothing I can find at the Census Bureau site that indicates this is permanent, but they have made some changes recently to what is being offered...)

I think Jeremy's intention was the mapquest would be the default map and tiger was the backup (maybe I have that reversed)...but I'm not sure that I've ever seen mapquest as the default map displayed.

All the caches (not just the new ones) that I've been to today have the map problem.

(The weekend might be the wrong time to get Jeremy's attention...but...)

Jeremy: If tiger is unavailable, why don't the mapquest maps show up properly (without us having to click on the place where the map should be)?

And I thought it was just my proxy filter (which occasionally breaks images on some sites :lol: ). I've always heard that the mapsource maps are supposed to be generated after a day or so. Lately, I've noticed that some new caches still have the Tiger maps after a week or more, so I wonder if the mapsource ones aren't displayed until the page regenerates (from either editing the description or posting a log)??

Edited by DavidMac

Tiger has been down. If folks need maps they can always click on the plethora of links to map sites on the Internet. Most folks aren't that lazy.

Our map server partner has been slow to respond on the request to integrate the international maps we purchased in November. Once they are complete we'll have them available on the cache details page.

I've also noticed that on my new Cache the cache Icon doesn't appear on the Map point map. The little square with the check is there but not the green topped container (or the NEW either for that matter). Don't know if its connected since its a different map but thought I'd let ya'll know about it.

I've also noticed that on my new Cache the cache Icon doesn't appear on the Map point map. The little square with the check is there but not the green topped container (or the NEW either for that matter).

Don't know if its connected

No, that's normal. (The rest of us don't see the check mark, since that's for your hide....right now we see nothing there.)

Those maps take a while (several hours, less than a day) to be updated to show the cache....but it still shows in lists of nearby caches.