How To Use A Card Reader?

iweb

Ok I bought a card reader about a year ago, used it once, and now being an old fart I can't remember how I did it. What program do I use? I see how to download to the gps but how do I upload to the computer? Just a little refresher would be a great help, thanks.

Plantinum.

As far as using a card reader for any old reason, you just plug the card reader in, and into your USB port. The computer should (at least mine does) should pick it up automatically, and will add a drive (usually called "removable drive") to your "my computer" file. You can use it just like any other drive. To use it with Mapsend, when you want to send a file to the GPS, a screen should pop up asking whether you want it to go to your GPS, your hardrive, or a SD card reader. you pick the card reader, and thats it. Obviously, you need the SD card in the reader for all this. Hope that helps at least a little!

If you have an older version of MapSend that doesn't support map transfer directly to an SD card, you need to do a couple of extra steps. Create the map and choose to send it to the GPS, but don't have the GPS attached to the computer. After creating the file, MapSend will give you an error saying it cannot find the GPS attached to the computer. At that point, you just need to copy the detail001.img file that was created (somewhere) in the Magellan MapSend directory to your SD card (sorry, I can't recall now exactly where in that directory it puts it). This is also a good time to rename the file, if you intend to put multiple maps on the SD card.

Exactly what do you want to put on the card? As SBPhishy said, your computer sees the card reader as just another removable drive, probably the next available drive letter. You use it just like any other disk drive on your computer.

If you're asking how to get waypoints from the GPS to the SD card, you need to use something like GPSBabel, which will move and convert data between almost any devices connected to the computer.

<snip> At that point, you just need to copy the detail001.img file that was created (somewhere) in the Magellan MapSend directory to your SD card <snip>

That's the "Export" file you're thinking of. It's located in the "Magellan" program files. If you use the "Windows Explorer" to locate the DETAIL file, you can the drag the file directly to the drive letter that the SD card has, and it will transfer it over to the card. Manuals for Mapsend software can be found by going here, clicking on whatever version you have, and then clicking 'support'.

As an FYI, the screen which asks you to choose between "your GPS, your hardrive, or a SD card reader" only comes up on newer versions of some Mapsend software. My TOPO (ver 3.0a) doesn't do it. You reckon if I pestered them enough, they'd send me an updated disk? :P