Need New Geocache Vehicle.

Team Lyons

We'll be in the market for a new vehicle in a few months and we have two on our list so far. The Ford Escape and the Saturn Vue. Do any of you have one of these? Our last two suv's were well over 30k and looking back they where a big waste of money. I guess because we afford them that it was in some sick way an ego thing. Now we just want more jingle in the bank and could care less what we're seen in.

Consider a Honda CR-V. I picked up my 2003 for just a tad over $18,000. Good vehicle, but nothing fancy (well power windows and locks...I never had that in a car before). It gets decent gas mileage for a 4WD SUV. Its a good size too. Not too big, but enough room for all your sports equipment. You should see the back of mine...ice fishing gear, hiking gear, trail work tools, ski gear, snowshoes...man, I really gotta clean that baby out :lol:

Edited by briansnat

jeeplogo.jpg

:lol::lol::P

Them Grand Cherokees are nice, if you're looking for a "traditional" SUV. My vote goes for a Wrangler, though. :lol:

If you don't really need the size of an SUV (most people that buy them don't), why not get a car? Something that gets good mileage, is more comfortable than a truck, costs less and has lower insurance rates?

I've got an '02 Mazda Tribute, the Escape's "sister" vehicle. Love mine... may want to look into those, too! Affordable, but still sharp looking.

tribute1.jpg

I'm within 500 miles of going out of warranty (50,000), and am NOT going to jinx it by saying I haven't had any problems... get my meaning?

I'd recommend the Nissan Murano; just passed 20K on mine and still love to drive it every day. It may price out of your options though. I just drove an Escape as a rental for the past 2 weeks in MA and VT. It was comfortable enough and the V-6 had plenty of kick. However with only 4K it was beginning to show some fit and finish issues that could lead to problems down the road. The rear hatch felt out of alignment and made a scraping sound when opening. The glass rear window rattled loudly at times on rough roads. The center console lid was sticky too. Yes, it was a rental and therefore isn't treated with the same TLC a personal vehicle would be but this unit has only been on the road for a few months.

I would second the CRV nods and suggest you also look at the RAV-4 or one of the new models from Mitsubishi. Lastly-be sure to check with Consumers Report for the reliability ratings.

PS maybe renting an Escape might help you decide too. It only cost me $250 for the 11 days.

esit for sp. arrgh must learn to preview post first :lol:

Edited by wimseyguy

I rode to a cache in a new Saturn Vue and could get ZERO reception inside the vehicle on my Sportrak Map. The ST normally gets great reception in cars, but something about the Vue was different. You should take your GPSr when you test drive.

We have a Honda CRV and LOVE it. Big inside, small outside, handles like a car, decent 4WD, 25mpg on the highway, tiny turning radius, good ground clearance. And best of all, it hasn't needed any repairs at all in 112,000 miles. :lol:

We have a Honda CRV and LOVE it. Big inside, small outside, handles like a car, decent 4WD, 25mpg on the highway, tiny turning radius, good ground clearance. And best of all, it hasn't needed any repairs at all in 112,000 miles.

I've had great luck with Hondas. I've owned several, all purchased new. Other than the normal worn out brakes, exhaust system, tires, timing belt and similar routine stuff, here is a list of the approximate mileage each car had when I sold it and all repairs made while I owned it (including repairs made under warranty) :

1979 Accord - 170,000 miles - replaced water pump & clutch

1986 Civic - 150,000 miles - replaced right front axel and clutch

1995 Civic - 163,000 miles - no repairs.

2003 CRV - 33,000 miles (nothing so far, knock on wood).

Edited by briansnat
...Honda CRV...decent 4WD

rofl.gif

(sorry, couldn't resist :lol: )

Side note: Doesn't anybody drive a car anymore???

I feel a serious car vs. suv rant coming on, so I'm going to shut my mouth while the shuttin's good... But I will say this: Think about what type of vehicle you need, then buy appropriately. Ok, done. :lol:

Consider a Honda CR-V. I picked up my 2003 for just a tad over $18,000. Good vehicle, but nothing fancy (well power windows and locks...I never had that in a car before). It gets decent gas mileage for a 4WD SUV. Its a good size too. Not too big, but enough room for all your sports equipment. You should see the back of mine...ice fishing gear, hiking gear, trail work tools, ski gear, snowshoes...man, I really gotta clean that baby out :lol:

I have an '02 CRV-EX with 40k miles on it and like it quite a bit. I often end up trading cars but this one's definitely a keeper.

SUBARU! Good ol' Subaru! Full-time all-wheel-drive CARS, and they've been doing it right for years. My 1996 Legacy station wagon has more actual clearance than an Exploder, or Escape, or a CRV. Have you ever looked at all the guts that hang below the body line on those cars? Who do they think they're fooling?

My Subi has taken me everywhere in all weather without a lick of trouble so far. It has 110k, gets 26-30mpg, carries family AND dog AND gear with room to spare. The eTrex yellow has no problem whether its on the dash, the passenger seat, or in the backseat with my son.

My previous Subi was a 1986 GL wagon with FWD, 4WD low, and 4WD high. That thing could just about climb trees. It had 164k when I gave it to my nephew, and its still going strong.

I had a Saturn SL1. It hit the dreaded "Saturn Pattern" at 104k. I had been planning to trade it in for a VUE, but lost faith in Saturn. Besides the VUE just didn't match up to a Subaru.

Try usmb.ultimatesubaru.net for more info. You'll hear the good, the bad, and the miraculous about Subarus.

P.S. I don't mean to sound like I'm badmouthing Hondas. I've had 2 Hondas and was very happy with them (until a tree fell on one, and friend's son totalled the other). Haven't been able to look over a new CRV, but I was disappointed when I checked one out a couple years ago.

Edit to add P.S.

Edited by Lesbaru
My 1996 Legacy station wagon has more actual clearance than an Exploder, or Escape, or a CRV. Have you ever looked at all the guts that hang below the body line on those cars? Who do they think they're fooling?

My wife's 1998 Legacy wagon has spent more time in the shop than all my Hondas combined...and I'm talking 25 years of Hondas and well over half a million miles.

Edited by briansnat
Yup. We've gone through several in the last few years. The current one is a 96 Maxima. It's great for pavement, but at least where we live the CRV is a better choice for most leisure activities. Plus, they get the same gas mileage. I agree that HUGE SUV's seem wasteful (and unnecessary), but the smaller ones handle like cars while having much more room inside and better overall versatility.

I will also add that here in the mountains our 98 5-speed CRV does fine, but the automatics seem a little underpowered. Actually that's true for most 4-cylinder vehicles, but I was surprised how noticeable the difference was in the Hondas. Subarus seem a little less suceptible to this.

Ok, I hope to help you out a bit with the decision. I drive a Wrangler and the Wife drives a new Cherokee. If you want capability without price going way out in left field they are the way to go.

Now for professional opinion....(I manage a Ford Service Department), Look to the escape, very peppy, nice room, and all the issues that other posters are bringing up can be covered under warranty......believe me, making some of the customers I have happy is a nightmare they wonder why the 4WD SUV they just purchased has a slight vibration while doing 85mph on the highway......well DUH!....

For capability sake, keeping with the smaller SUV....even Ford literature says the Jeep Liberty has the best off road capability for its class.....

To sum it up, if you want an every day driver with a little pep, and room to bring friends/family/cargo, for the price the escape is the best.....I have seen the Honda's and such get traded in at the dealership, believe me if your thinking of going off road with any comfort, stay away....

Besides, if you break anything.....there is a Ford dealership in everytown....where I am I would have to drive 45miles to service a Honda.

Just my 2cents......

Edited by cmhawkins
Ok, I hope to help you out a bit with the decision. I drive a Wrangler and the Wife drives a new Cherokee. If you want capability without price going way out in left field they are the way to go.

Now for professional opinion....(I manage a Ford Service Department), Look to the escape, very peppy, nice room, and all the issues that other posters are bringing up can be covered under warranty......believe me, making some of the customers I have happy is a nightmare they wonder why the 4WD SUV they just purchased has a slight vibration while doing 85mph on the highway......well DUH!....

For capability sake, keeping with the smaller SUV....even Ford literature says the Jeep Liberty has the best off road capability for its class.....

To sum it up, if you want an every day driver with a little pep, and room to bring friends/family/cargo, for the price the escape is the best.....I have seen the Honda's and such get traded in at the dealership, believe me if your thinking of going off road with any comfort, stay away....

Besides, if you break anything.....there is a Ford dealership in everytown....where I am I would have to drive 45miles to service a Honda.

Just my 2cents......

Thanks for the post. I think I'm goona be going with the Escape. I have to keep it American or I'll never live it down with my family or myself. I'm not even sure the Escape is American made. Does Mazda make it for Ford? I know Ford owns Mazda. The Vue has a Honda Engine but Saturn is owned by GM correct? I know the whole "Buy American" thing probly bores you people to death but I do make it a point to try. As for the people telling me to get a Jeep Wrangler. I think they are a little too small for a family. Do they still rust out like crazy? Besides if I where to get something for 4x4'ing that small I'd get the coolest 4x4 of all time. A 66-77 Bronco. Those things where awesome! I know they rusted out bad but with a 302 those things where SICK!

About a year and a half ago, the transmission in our Mercury Villager went kaput. We went out looking at new vehicles and decided that we wanted something in the Escape/Vue size range. After driving both vehicles, the Saturn won. The Vue felt like a much higher quality vehicle.

I'd suggest driving both to see what you prefer.

As for the people telling me to get a Jeep Wrangler. I think they are a little too small for a family.

You haven't seen the new jeep wrangler, made larger for the family.

Click Here For Big Jeep

Once you get to the page, click on "learn more" on the right side of the page.

Click on "Bring Everything" then play with the "Drag" feature to compare with the traditional size jeep.

I'd post a link but there isn't one.

I'm also in the market for a small suv 4wd. I've narrowed the field to 13 make/models. Reading the forum, I'm going to take my GPS (Magellan) with me to the dealer and put it on the dash, just to be sure it can pick up the satellites. I know some cars & vans have something in their glass that prevents some signalls from getting through. Such as E-Z PASS signals.

Thanks again.

Yea I drive a car. Nissan Sentra here. And I'll drive it until it won't go no more. I love not having monthly payments more than any car out there.

Well except maybe my old Subaru GL wagon, which I drove until it wouldn't go no more. 262,00 miles. Had to give it up since I couldn't find anybody trustworthy to keep it running.

So I'll say no payments are better than any new car out there.

A friend has the Vue and loves it.

G.

I have to keep it American or I'll never live it down with my family or myself. I'm not even sure the Escape is American made.

Since you brought it up, here is something related to this subject that I posted in an old thread.

The issue of "country of origin" is quite complicated, but here is some interesting info: My Nissan, which is considered Japanese, was built near my home in Tennessee by US workers. By contrast, the very "American" Dodge Ram is built in two cities in Mexico, as well as in Missouri. PT Cruisers are built in Mexico. Chevy Silverados come from Canada. The list goes on and on, and changes with every model year. Of course, where a car (or GPS, or anything else) is built is only part of the story. Final "assembly" doesn't provide nearly as many jobs as the manufacturing of all the individual parts that go into the product. These come from all over the world, and often the same manufacturer provides parts for competing companies in different countries. For those who are interested in details on where cars and car parts come from, check out the American Automobile Labelling Act, which is an act of Congress passed in 1993 and attempting to address these issues.

But where something is made is only part of the story. Another question is who profits from it. Nissan's headquarters are in Japan, but lots of their stock is owned by Americans. Don't think you have any Nissan stock yourself? Have you checked into every company that your mutual fund company invests in? Likewise, lots of GM and Ford stock is owned by people and investment companies in other countries. And, of course, no matter what brand of car you own, almost all of the gasoline you put in it comes from oil from the Middle East. Then the oil is refined by Exxon, BP, etc which are owned by stockholders in hundreds of countries...

And, of course, no matter what brand of car you own, almost all of the gasoline you put in it comes from oil from the Middle East. Then the oil is refined by Exxon, BP, etc which are owned by stockholders in hundreds of countries...

Just to reinforce that with some facts:

Where does all that crude come from?

Who refines it?

Lots of folks like to believe otherwise, but the numbers don't lie.

And, of course, no matter what brand of car you own, almost all of the gasoline you put in it comes from oil from the Middle East. Then the oil is refined by Exxon, BP, etc which are owned by stockholders in hundreds of countries...

Who refines it?

Lots of folks like to believe otherwise, but the numbers don't lie.

Good post. Like you said the parts come from all over the world and people profit from the companies earnings all over the world. TO save myself from going bonkers I'm goona find a vehicle "Built in America" rather than "Made by an American co but assembled in Mexico" .

6 degrees of Subi seperation....?

Let's see, I'm a member of the UAW. Subaru is part-owned by GM. My Legacy was made in Indiana by other UAW members. Various and sundry parts came from who knows where, lots from Japan. My american-made mutt barfed genuine US dog-food in the cargo area and I spilled pickled ginger from my sushi in the front seat! Hmmmm... (I need more coffee!)

A quick way to really know which car will work best for you is to visit a local auto body shop. If you know the owner of one then even better. Tell them the cars you are thinking about and get their input.

These guys know more about what happens to a car than all the mechanics in the area combined. You might be surprised what they say about the so called off roaders.

After talking to my mechanic and a friend (who has owned a body shop for 20 years) my decision was easy. I told them the names of the 4 cars I was interested in and let them fill me in on what they were really all about.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

After talking to my mechanic and a friend (who has owned a body shop for 20 years) my decision was easy. I told them the names of the 4 cars I was interested in and let them fill me in on what they were really all about.

Anyone else wanna know? Common! :P What did they say? ? (Hopefully not derailing the thread, as this car question might be seen as more general :P )

Edited by CacheCreatures

Good info. I like pictures, so here is related info in the form of a pretty chart. I'd have to say I was wrong about most of it coming from the Middle East. A lot of it does, but there is more production spread around in other places than I expected.

And on a totally separate note, one person said this:

Look to the escape... the issues that other posters are bringing up can be covered under warranty
and this:
if you break anything.....there is a Ford dealership in everytown....where I am I would have to drive 45miles to service a Honda.
We used to have a Ford Taurus. By the time we got rid of it we had spent thousands more in repairs than it was worth to sell. Many thousands. And it only had 105,000 miles. Our Honda dealer is over an hour away. But it doesn't matter because in 112,000 miles we've never had to go. There have been no warranty issues and it hasn't needed to be repaired. Ever. If I sound bitter it's because I'm still missing those thousands of dollars...
I'd have to say I was wrong about most of it coming from the Middle East. A lot of it does, but there is more production spread around in other places than I expected.

Lessons learned from the faked oil shortage of the early 70's. Never put your eggs all in one basket. The quality of the crude is little less than from the Middle East, but now our supply line is more diversified than it was then - which is why you won't see another shortage of the same stature. There are too many markets willing to capitalize on the other's attempts to raise the prices.